Newbie Alert!

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Newbie Alert!

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:20 pm

I see the listing for the blue SLi fastback has ended - did you buy it Russ?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

RU58ALL
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RU58ALL » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I certainly did :D and I am so in dog house with my dear wife for doing so :(

She's sat on my driveway needing the following;
A new rear silencer
A spot of welding to the rear of the near side sill
A near side front wheel bearing
Looking at the rust in the top of the filler neck and the amount mud packed around the filler neck probably one of those too.
A New Headlining
Rust to the wheel arches
A service

She drives ok though.

Let the fun begin!
Cheers
Rus

My Place is currently the home of 'Tif' the TF135 and the as yet un-named 827SLi

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:34 pm

RU58ALL wrote:I certainly did :D and I am so in dog house with my dear wife for doing so :( She's sat on my driveway

needing the following;
A new rear silencer
A spot of welding to the rear of the near side sill
A near side front wheel bearing
Looking at the rust in the top of the filler neck and the amount mud packed around the filler neck probably one of those too.
A New Headlining
Rust to the wheel arches
A service

She drives ok though.

Let the fun begin!
In the great scheme of things, that isn't too bad a list given the age of the car. Being a fastback it's easier to remove the headlining - can't remember all the details but it's basically remove all trim/visors/courtesy lights etc from the headlining and A/B/C/D pillars, lever out the buttons holding it up then slide it out through the rear hatch. There's sellers on Amazon and fleabay that do the material then use carpet glue to fit the new material once you've cleaned the remains of the old lining off the fibreglass liner.

Did you do the "give it a run and remove the filler cap" test on the fuel filler? If so and it didn't hiss, either it wasn't a long enough run or the filler neck needs repair or replacement. I used a boat fuel filler (stainless steel) and some marine spec fuel hose on my coupe to replace the top half of the filler and reused my OE breathers. Simon Hubbard is trying to get replacements for the OE filler fabricated in stainless at the moment - might be worth finding his thread and see what you think.

A lot of people go for the universal stainless rear silencers which work well.

I am very curious about the VIN number on yours as i have a 95 reg'd 827 SLi saloon in white gold with the leather interior, late rear lights, body coloured side mouldings etc - similar spec to yours except no CD changer in the boot. Been wondering if Rover did a "secret" limited edition with later lights, body mouldings etc as a "tester" model to see the reaction. My VIN ends with 215384 - is yours anywhere near that?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

RU58ALL
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RU58ALL » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Dave

I will check the VIN tomorrow and let you know. It used to be owned by Matthew on this Forum

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11734

Couple of other things i forgot to mention, the remote for the locking doesn't work and there is also has a fuel smell in the car.
Cheers
Rus

My Place is currently the home of 'Tif' the TF135 and the as yet un-named 827SLi

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Russ - the remote fob is probably batteries (takes 2 x CR2032 - cheap as chips on Amazon, i buy 10 or 12 at a time as they also fit the dogs LED collars :wink: ) and it should be the Infra Red (IR) fob on that car.

You can test them with your mobile phone - turn the camera on and aim at the LED on the fob (not the red/green one on top, the black one on the end) at the camera and press either button on the fob. If it's working then you'll see it flicker on the digital camera on your phone. Being IR you can't see it with the naked eye but digital cameras pick it up easily. :wink: :D

The petrol smell is usually another symptom of the filler neck being rotten. If you have a look at page 10 of my coupe thread you'll see why and also the solution i used :

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... &start=135

If i've done it right that should take you straight to page 10 - the bit about the fuel filler starts halfway down. The stainless filler itself was only about £23 +VAT but there are other options including locking etc :

http://shop4tanks.co.uk/deck-fillers-fu ... llers.html

They modified it to include the 1/2" breather on the side as well for very little cost, supplied the marine fuel hose and i did the rest as per the thread.

**** EDIT ****

Forgot to say thanks for checking the VIN, be interesting to see if they're near each other or just coincidence that both have almost exactly the same modifications and both are SLi spec with leather - i found a build sheet for mine that shows the leather was factory as well.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

RU58ALL
Regular Visitor

Post by RU58ALL » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:37 am

scoobyh123 wrote:I am very curious about the VIN number on yours as i have a 95 reg'd 827 SLi saloon in white gold with the leather interior, late rear lights, body coloured side mouldings etc - similar spec to yours except no CD changer in the boot. Been wondering if Rover did a "secret" limited edition with later lights, body mouldings etc as a "tester" model to see the reaction. My VIN ends with 215384 - is yours anywhere near that?
My VIN ends 162988 so a long way before yours
Cheers
Rus

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Welcome from me too. I had a 1996 820i base spec model, manual rear windows, door mirrors, no sunroof but she had 253,000 on the clock when I got her and 303,000 when she was towed by the DVLA for no tax (long story but now history). She did 500 miles per week for 18 months and she passed every MOT with flying colours, even the emissions were 0%. A car which is used regularly will last a long time as long as she's serviced regularly. The T series engine in the 2 litre cars was the pinnacle of the Rover engine line and is very reliable.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:51 pm

RU58ALL wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:I am very curious about the VIN number on yours as i have a 95 reg'd 827 SLi saloon in white gold with the leather interior, late rear lights, body coloured side mouldings etc - similar spec to yours except no CD changer in the boot. Been wondering if Rover did a "secret" limited edition with later lights, body mouldings etc as a "tester" model to see the reaction. My VIN ends with 215384 - is yours anywhere near that?
My VIN ends 162988 so a long way before yours
Thanks Russ - kind of rains on my bonfire in terms of Rover doing "tester models" but at least it appears to prove the point there's no connection just coincidence on the leather interior.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate