New 820 Sterling owner

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New 820 Sterling owner

Post by Captain Sensible » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

I've long admired Rover Sterlings from afar. I've wanted one since I was about 12, and last weekend I made that dream a reality and put down a deposit on a 1998 Rover 820 Sterling auto. This Saturday I go up and collect it - an understatement to say I'm over excited.

It's not you're average car choice for a 21 year old, partly a reason why I love it so much.

The car itself isn't in bad order overall, but there's a list of issues which will need fixing sooner rather than later:

The driver's door won't open. The door handle broke just before I was about to make an offer!

The head offside headlight is making a very odd sound on some settings. I'm guessing it's a worn adjuster gear, but we will see.

The boot leaks and the spare wheel well will need cleaning up to get rid of surface rust, and the leak will need to be traced and fixed ASAP.

Another problem is the rear arches are just starting to go crispy on their inner lips. Not the end of the world as it is, but again it needs fixing as a matter of urgency.

Not so urgent is the radio which only plays White Noise FM, and a previous owner has clobbered the front wing and the middle box is also held on by gum and hope.

I'm probably making the car sound like a dog, when it really isn't - I just want to catch it before it ends up as such. Good points are the T-Series pulls great, the autobox is smooth and the aircon works (I was stunned). I paid £680 for it, probably a little overbook considering it's faults, but it's in the colour I want (Oxford Blue) and has the right colour leather (cream). I also got a hideous vision of it being used as a cheap family hack, filled with rubbish with finger prints on the windows before being scrapped a year later. No way! It needs saving and bringing around again! It's done a genuine 68k.

It was sold as spares or repairs and I'm thinking of it as a winter project.

Some pictures to be getting on with...Brum reg too. Rover Group were the first registered keepers. It may look a bit OTT for a first car, but because of what I do for work I'm used to driving big cars. I won't mention how much insurance is :oops:

Pictures flatter it, the paint is as rough as whatnot. That comes later, after I've sorted the niggles and serviced her.

Thanks,
Sam

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New 820 Sterling owner

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 am

That is a lovely colour combination the blue and cream.

Welcome aboard the 800 flagship.
I'm sure any problems you have will but quickly sorted by the knowledge on this forum. They are a fine bunch.

Be careful though you may get hooked and start looking for others. 800s have a waay of getting under your skin. You have been warned :lol:

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks Kate. :)

I love the colour combo, it's just what I've been looking for. It's great to have help and support - any is greatly appreciated.

I can really see how they're addictive. I've already found myself looking at base spec cars for sale cheaply, and thinking to myself, "Is it cruel to use the Sterling as a daily? Will it get lonely and want a friend?"

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:57 am

Welcome to the forum, we should be able to help you.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Lovely car that deserves to be rescued!
Welcome.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:31 pm

That looks alright
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Welcome to the forum and the Rover 800 habit.

To get you started and while the weather is rotten, the leak into the boot is probably from the rear light cluster, this can be from either side or both, just lift out the rear mat and check around the bottom of the rear quarter trim panels for damp. The foam seal which is no longer available to buy becomes depressed and allows the water in, a good silicon bead should fix it or a nip up on the 8mm nuts. Not too tight or will break. Moisture trap's from pounland help in removing moisture out of the air and any damp smells.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks Rovercoup. I'm crossing my fingers that the boot will just need a new seal...chances are I won't be that lucky. Oh, a moisture trap is on the list for sure!