Hi everybody, I've just bought an 800

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Sterling
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi everybody, I've just bought an 800

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 2:38 am

Hi, my name is Ian. I've been reading this site for years on and off. Today I bought a mk1 827 Sterling, so I thought now I must register.

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hi everybody, I've just bought an 800

Post by SJG » Sun May 03, 2015 7:00 am

Welcome Ian, look forward to hearing about your new toy.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sun May 03, 2015 8:44 am

Hi, looking forward to seeing a few pictures of the new car. Welcome to the forum.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sun May 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Welcome aboard the Flagship Ian.

Look forward to seeing some pictures

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 2:04 pm

i have a few pics, but I'm not great with computers, so putting them on here using my iPhone is a little beyond me at present. I'll have to do a little reading. Thanks for the welcome.

Actually the car needs a new head gasket, which I'm not to worried about as I managed to get a second 827 included in the price.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sun May 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Welcome Ian.
It would be a good idea to change the water pump too (as a precaution) as it's supposed to be much easier when the heads are off.
I've not done one myself as all the 800s I've owned have been 4-pots.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 5:42 pm

I can't work out how to send pics here from my IPhone.

The cars eventual value is not going to be an issue to me as now I've found the one I've always wanted, I will be keeping it so here's my choice. Do I have the original engine repaired so the car maintains its original numbers etc, this engine has done 50,000 miles?

Or,

Do I undertake an engine swap from the other 827 that I have also acquired as a spares car? This engine has covered 1000,000 + miles.

If I have the original engine rebuilt, I could have it repainted and cleaned right up, but if I do a swap, then there seems little point, as there's no reason to have it pulled apart.

In whichever course of action I take, I won't be doing the work as I am registered blind, so will be looking for a recommendation either for a good engine restorer or garage to have the work done.

I don't have bags of money, but as my intention is to keep the car, I want to lavish love on it.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun May 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Ian, welcome to the site.

IMO I would use the 'new' engine if you know it's running well at present? The original engine could have more wrong with it than just HGF and could easily turn into a full rebuild.

Pulling the engine is really not that difficult for a garage.

In some ways it would be easier for them as you should really be looking at changing the cambelt and water pump as a minimum. Possibly even further jobs.

Last time I did it I had a leaky sump which needed welding and exhaust manifolds which required re-studding.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I think I will do the engine swap and then send the other engine away to be completely rebuild. As I intend to keep the car, maybe at a future point in time a spare engine would be usable in some way, as I know what I'm like. I've owned a few classics over the years, but just one Rover. I don't see that lasting now that the dormant bug has finally bitten.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 9:39 pm

I am very happy with the car. Hopefully I can arrange for it to be delivered by Thursday.
Last edited by Sterling on Sun May 03, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sun May 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Lovely car, looks a bargain

:D
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Thank you Gaz. Both for posting the picture for me and for your comments.

I now have to sell my mk1 216s and 2 x Nissan bluebirds.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun May 03, 2015 11:18 pm

mrpcpc wrote:Chris, As far as the exhaust studs are concerned I have had a few done my self. I have had then drilled, then helicoiled to a take a standard 10mm stud. This has save dme so much agro later on. I also very rarely bothered refitting the heat shields. Although some may frown upon this, they don't seem to have had any detremental effect anywhere nearby.

If it were an 820 turbo I wouldnt dream of leaving the shield off :shock:
I agree, my issue was local garages knew the potential hassle and most wouldn't touch them or quoted a silly price to not get the job.

So anytime I had an engine I out I had them redone to save hassle like you. Cost me £10 a pair with the manifolds off the car.

My point really was its a good idea to get them done while its out. Same for the thermostat and probably other jobs?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 11:21 pm

I moved from Cardiff to Oxford in 2013z. I had a house with plenty of parking space. Now I live in a flat with one parking space and I own 5 cars. My neighbours question my sanity as I'm registered Blind so can't even drive my own cars on the road. Lol.

Regarding space, currently my cars have a bigger footprint on this earth than my one bedroom flat. Lol

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 03, 2015 11:33 pm

When the housing association ask why the wall and window are missing, I'll just answer "well I am blind you know". Lol