Hello, new 827 Coupe owner from France

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoubix16
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello, new 827 Coupe owner from France

Post by scoubix16 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello there,

I registered here a few weeks ago but waited for the proper timing to introduce myself. This is now the time to do so, as I'm, as of today, the proud owner of a Caribbean Blue 827 auto Coupe. This car was initially registered on January 3rd 1994, but is of a much earlier build date (though I don't know the date for sure), as its VIN is 158519.
I'm the 4th owner. The car has only 96500 kms on the clock, so that's about 60K miles, and is in a surprisingly good condition. All electronics work fine (windows and sunroof, seats, air con..). Mechanically nothing to report, engine is sound and box is performing as expected. No lifted dash above the cluster (must be the only one in France that has not suffered from this), and the leather is fine although the driver seat could do with a little refurbish on the side. A small scratch on the front bumper, but otherwise very nice looking car.

My history with Rover didn't start with this car as my father used to own a 820 Si Fastback from 1993 to 2000, when he traded it in for a Rover 75 CDT.
As for myself, the very first car I bought was a 1995 218 SD Turbo, and I own a Dealer Launch 75 V6. I'm a member of the 75&ZT Owner's Club as well of the 75&ZT Enthusiasts Club, and also the vice-president of the French Rover Club (full name is British Classic Cars & Rover Club, been in existence since 1989, http://www.rover-club-fr.net).

A few pics, one of them with the Coupe sitting next to my 75 (two different shades of blue for me...)

ImageIMG_4381 by nroughol, sur Flickr

ImageIMG_4376 by nroughol, sur Flickr

ImageIMG_4363 by nroughol, sur Flickr

Couple of questions for you experts on the 800 :
- given the VIN, is there any way to know the build date? I reckon it was built in the last few weeks of 1992 but would like to be sure of it...
- one of the only issues I have right now is the driver window will not synchronize. No issue with passenger or sunroof. It still beeps when operating, although one-touch down is functional, one-touch up is not. Heard that a little silicone spray around the joints could help, can you confirm or suggest otherwise?

Thanks and looking forward to sharing useful 800 bits with all of you :wink:
'93 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
'99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
'04 MG ZT-T 260 SE (V8) - Ex-Longbridge 75 V8 Tourer development car - LHD

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hello, new 827 Coupe owner from France

Post by vito » Wed May 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Welcome, beautiful LHD car ...........
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu May 21, 2015 6:35 am

Nice looking car - welcome to the forum
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu May 21, 2015 7:12 am

Welcome to the forum, lovely looking car.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Eduardo
Regular Visitor

Post by Eduardo » Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 am

Hey there! nice, cleeean car inside! Love when the cars look like new. On the passenger window, did your tried to calibrate it guess... By PM me with we could do in french if you want to. Have a nice day.
1999 Rover KV6 Sterling Saloon Nigthfire Red
1996 Rover 825 SDI Saloon BRG
1976 Lincoln Continental Mark IV White Brown
1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible Phoenician Ivory
1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Berlina Black
2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Grey

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)
mrpcpc wrote:The suspension looks like it's been tastefully lowered.

I think this has the Vitesse suspension by the look of it. 8)
It certainly does not. It's not been lowered in any way, and there was no Vitesse badging or settings for the R17 in France, certainly not during that timeframe anyway (1992-1993). The Vitesse name was dropped for the French market by the time the R17 was launched (it ended with the 800 mk1).
As for the driver window, yes I tried calibrating, even disconnected the battery to try and recalibrate both windows and sunroof, the passenger window and the sunroof are fine and operate with one-touch up and down, but the driver one only accepts one-touch down. I used some silicone spray but this didn't help.
I would appreciate if those with more extensive knowledge on the 800 could point me to the right direction. Could the motor need replacing? I don't suspect anything is wrong with the soldering on the driver switch or the fusebox, unless told otherwise :?:

Thanks

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu May 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Could be worth checking the CCU for dry solder joints.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Eduardo
Regular Visitor

Post by Eduardo » Fri May 22, 2015 7:33 am

Hi! good morning then i'm affraid you'll have to replace the whole mechanism. I already did with one of mines with the same problem.Believe me, it was a bit scary because i had to take the glass away but then it was real EASY and cheap. The only difference your is a coupe, no frame for the glass, mine is a saloon. Good luck. Please tell us know how are you doing and post some pics of the job. Kind regards.

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri May 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Welcome! It's good to know not everybody in France drives a PSA. Looks like a really clean interior, with smoother leather than my Sterling Fastback mk2a. Different in coupes or just for overseas market?
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Eduardo wrote:Hi! good morning then i'm affraid you'll have to replace the whole mechanism. I already did with one of mines with the same problem.Believe me, it was a bit scary because i had to take the glass away but then it was real EASY and cheap. The only difference your is a coupe, no frame for the glass, mine is a saloon. Good luck. Please tell us know how are you doing and post some pics of the job. Kind regards.
Thanks Eduardo. It shouldn't be a problem sourcing a good working motor, as a friend of mine has 4 White Gold coupes of which at least one is for spares. But this will wait a bit, I have more urgent things to attend to on this car :-)
Fastback wrote:Welcome! It's good to know not everybody in France drives a PSA. Looks like a really clean interior, with smoother leather than my Sterling Fastback mk2a. Different in coupes or just for overseas market?
I believe the Connoly leather was specific to the Coupes
mrpcpc wrote:
scoubix16 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)
mrpcpc wrote:The suspension looks like it's been tastefully lowered.

I think this has the Vitesse suspension by the look of it. 8)
It certainly does not. It's not been lowered in any way,
I'm not talking about lowering so its on the floor.

Tastefully I said.

Unless you have had this one from new then you cannot say whether its been done or not.

If you knew about the Vitesse suspension (I think around 1995) you wouldn't be so shocked or offended it seems.

This coupe sits nice. did you know that the rover 800 has different suspension on later models which could have easily been fitted to this. if yours was lowered it would be with Rover suspension parts and not after market kits
Soryy if I sounded offended, it was certainly not my intent. I will investigate if it has been lowered at any point in time but to me it doesn't look any different than all of the other coupes I've seen (and that's quite a few)...

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sun May 24, 2015 5:12 pm

welcome, nice car in probably the best colour :wink:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Eduardo
Regular Visitor

Post by Eduardo » Mon May 25, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks Eduardo. It shouldn't be a problem sourcing a good working motor, as a friend of mine has 4 White Gold coupes of which at least one is for spares. But this will wait a bit, I have more urgent things to attend to on this car :-)

Hi, good morning. My advide is to get a full new system. Used are always TIRED, so, if you fit one, you would only delay problems. This should not be expensive, look for stores with 'new old stock'. They will be happy to get rid of them. We have some here in Spain guess this will be the same in France. And as geografically, you're in the middle of Europe, you also may look for it in all the next countries. Spain, Germany, Italy, UK, The Netherland... It's just a question of time if you're not in a hurry for this. Start the hunt now and when you get ready to replace it, you'll have many places to order it. Just pick the best...Hey not necessarily the cheapest, huh? Kind regards.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Thu May 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Wow looks great, welcome!
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Well, did a couple of improvements during my vacation these past two weeks. One has been to replace the headliner fabric that was beyond saving and sagging in many places. I couldn't find an exact match for the original cool grey color, so the new one is still a light grey but only slightly darker. Still looks nice within the car.

ImageIMG_4454 by nroughol, sur Flickr

ImageIMG_4452 by nroughol, sur Flickr

ImageIMG_4456 by nroughol, sur Flickr

In reality it's a lot less dark than this picture makes it out to be.
ImageIMG_4457 by nroughol, sur Flickr

ImageIMG_4462 by nroughol, sur Flickr

ImageIMG_4464 by nroughol, sur Flickr

Then today I decided to fit mk2b smoked rear lights to the car. No longer factory looks, I know, but I dare say this is how all mk2s should have been like from the start, me thinks...

Before...
ImageIMG_0257 by nroughol, sur Flickr

And now...
ImageIMG_0258 by nroughol, sur Flickr

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:01 am

mrpcpc wrote:Nice job done on the roof lining.

Did you have an issue cleaning all the old foam off or did it all rub off easily ?

Also, what di you use to stick the new lining on with and did the new lining also have a foam backing to it ?

I bought a roll of foam backed liner a few years ago for my Mk1a Sterling project, but have still not finished it and so still not got around to fitting the liner :roll:
Thanks
No issue really with the cleaning, the old foam had pretty much disintegrated already, I just brushed it off the cardboard.
I use some neoprene glue in spray can, and yes the new lining did have a layer of foam backing to it.
It's the first time I did this kind of job in a car and I must say I was quite nervous initially, but it turned out more than OK for a first :)