Two Headed 827

New to the forum? Tell us a bit about yourself here :)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: Two Headed 827

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am

The Citroen BX and a number of Alfas (Alfasud? 33?) used front brake calipers with handbrake mechanisms on them.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:40 am

As did the 2cv and Dyane. Albeit inboard!
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:40 am

Oh, and the Citroen XM.
No longer an 800 owner!

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Utterly brilliant! I love it. Get some rear lights (even magnetically stuck on ones) on it and get that car on the road!

It would clearly need an IVA (modern SVA) which makes an MOT look like a walk in the park though first. That might be your challenge.

I love this!
One or two 800s...

epic1400cs
Regular Visitor

Post by epic1400cs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Nuts, yes I made it initially as a prop for my video recording so I didn't plan to make it road legal.
However, it would be fun if I could drive it around.

I live in north west London but the car is in a garage in Mitcham.
If you are interested in, you are welcome - oops I need to wax the car then

VeryTallBrad, thanks.
Yes, my mate also showed me the image of the Bond Bug after I made mine - I like it a lot and very unique car indeed.
I didn't know that back stage story so it is very interesting to know that today.

I have also noticed that Mont Blanc tunnel has this mighty one;
Sexy 8)

Hi guru, thanks for your compliment.
The idea of 'Two Front and No Rear' came from the idea of my project
(I hope this image is not offensive to 800 owners)
However, I should start thinking about 'convertible' like 60's sports car :idea:
For the public appearance, make it into Two Front and for everyday drive to Tesco, turn it into road legal mode.
You are certainly invited for viewing!

Sir Richard and VTB, thanks for your nice idea!
If I remember correctly, some Subaru had front caliper parking brake but not sure about recent ones.
Citroen XM is similar size to Rover 800 so there is possibility for sure.

Hi Alex, thanks for your support and your love!
I looked into the SVA (at that time) a bit but I would struggle to calcurate the structural strength etc, however, considering the Top Gear managed to have done it, there must be a way to do it.
At the moment, just to move this car around cost like £400 to hire big truck or transporter.
If I can get it registered then it would save a lot.

Definitely 'Road Legal' is on my to do list once I manage to fix window screen - I just got quote of £346 from Auto Windscreen but eventually they couldn't source the actual screen with Bronze tint anymore :roll:

::EDIT:: spellling!

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow, that is amazing.

Handbrake suggestion-old Saabs, the Alfasud and some Xantias handbraked on the front wheels. Is it worth having a look at one of them to see if an adaptation could be made?
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

epic1400cs
Regular Visitor

Post by epic1400cs » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:19 am

BennyVitesse wrote:Wow, that is amazing.

Handbrake suggestion-old Saabs, the Alfasud and some Xantias handbraked on the front wheels. Is it worth having a look at one of them to see if an adaptation could be made?
Hi Benny, thanks!
Most probably it is down to caliper fitting such as caliper being mounted in front or rear of the disk (=bleeding valve up or down), distance of the caliper mounting bolts, off set of the disk and cable or hydro arrangement for the parking brake.
When I had 1st gen Mitsubishi Lancer, I have swapped front calipers and disks from newer Lancer with inter cooler turbo.
It was great upgrade but in the end I needed to change master cylinder, proportioning valve and piping so ended up quite complicated for amateur mechanic.
It was possible because the 1st and 2nd gen Lancer, at that time, the design of the suspension/brake was quite similar.
I will look into it when other high-priority to-do-list are done.

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Mitcham?!!

Wow, thats close to me. On another related noted, I went into an MOT shop there several years ago, and saw Andy Saunders road legal speedboat having its MOT.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

epic1400cs
Regular Visitor

Post by epic1400cs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 am

Nuts4my827 wrote:Mitcham?!!
Wow, thats close to me. On another related noted, I went into an MOT shop there several years ago, and saw Andy Saunders road legal speedboat having its MOT.
I will PM you about the detail of my garage.
Sounds like Andy's workshop is in this area then, thats very interesting to know, he is amazing.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Welcome! Or should i say !emoclew ? Depends which end you're driving i suppose!

Would be great to see this car at something like the BMC/BL Rally in August - you have nearly a year to get it road legal or save for the transport lol! Joking aside, would it not fit on a car transporter trailer?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

epic1400cs
Regular Visitor

Post by epic1400cs » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello Scooby, thank you very much for your hospitality.
Well, yes I can read no problem, luckily I was in the front side of the car today :lol:
Probably same as most of other members that I am working on this project as part time basis so it may take time for the road legal but I will try.

About the transporter, this car is about 6.4m long which is 1.5m longer than normal 800.
I find it a bit difficult find transporter to accommodate the length.
Once I was lucky enough to find a guy who operate very long flatbed trailer which he tow behind his 4X4 but now he has retired.
Otherwise I need to arrange long lorry which cost quite a bit.
I was also looking through salvage/recovery truck with sliding flatbed, they are sometimes quite long but, they are rather busy waiting for emergency call out so I couldn't find anyone to help me.
If you know anyone with long flatbed transporter, please let me know for the future!

Nuts4my827 kindly visited my garage for a chat last week.
He is very nice guy, his coupe is a beauty so I enjoyed very much.
He gave me some good tips about 827 and he even solved the engine starting problem I had (was dead igniter, spot on!) 8)
Thank you very much indeed, good luck and see you again soon.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Wish i knew of someone with a car transporter trailer, but sadly i don't! Would be better if it was long enough but don't know any of them either!

I did wonder how long it was, i sort of guessed 18-20ft (5.7 - 6.0m) but didn't think it would be over 21ft/6.4m! That's one long Rover! Makes the stretched limo versions seem short!

Well you have nearly a year to get it road legal for the next BMC/BL rally, there's a few threads with loads of pictures in the Car SHow and Meet Pictures section - click here for one of the threads.

Would be great if you could manage to get it road legal in time but i know what it's like working part time on projects, even just some essential maintenance has become a part time thing for me these days!
Perhaps the easiest way of getting the rear lights you'd need would be to use a trailer board - not sure how that would go down with the SVA/IVA people though!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

epic1400cs
Regular Visitor

Post by epic1400cs » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Thank you very much for the link.
Oh my word that looks fantastic.
It is indeed great head up to see other well maintained clean 800, I am very impressed and pleased to see them.
Stupidly I didn't realise this was happening this year - it is as important as Olympic for me.
Next year I would at least show my face to adore those beauties, if I can't manage the challenge.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:30 pm

You're welcome for the link, hopefully see you there next year - with or without your 2-headed car!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 pm

does anyone know what happened to this? did it ever get an mot and make it onto the road or did it remain as an art piece? and where is it now?
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05