Needed: Large trip computer - U.S. or Abroad

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
decalservice
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Needed: Large trip computer - U.S. or Abroad

Post by decalservice » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 am

Hi all,

Need a large trip computer to fit an 827. Anyone have one to sell to a Yank? Preferably Yank to Yank if possible, :D but I'm willing to pay the shipping and trouble costs if necessary if you're overseas and would be so kind to ship it. Many thanks!

I'm residing in Austin, TX.

Cheers,
Rod R.

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Needed: Large trip computer - U.S. or Abroad

Post by dollysprint » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Rod
Are you aware of a guy called Dale Charles, or better known as the Sterling Fixer? He is US based and holds vast stocks of Sterling bits. Cant remember which part of the US he is in now but he is a member of this Forum so you should find him if you search.
I have several spare large computers but the postage would be a killer, can I ask whats wrong with yours?

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

decalservice
Regular Visitor

Post by decalservice » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Well, its actually for a buddy of mine. His 89 is in need of one, missing since 2002 when he took it out for an unknown reason and got thrown away by his wife. That NEVER happens, right guys? Dale Charles is a great choice but the cost is quite high for something like that from him. Perhaps I need to try him though. Last look was something like $290 for it. For that kind of money one could put in a double din nav system with dvd which would look pretty nice in that wide and cavernous center slot. (Insert inappropriate joke here). In addition, I wouldn't mind taking on the task of retrofitting a large computer to my own 91. Even in just the clock works, I'm fine with that. I'm not quite a fan of the slimline comp. There's just too much going on, with the stereo and the slimline and the wood panel above the ashtray... too many colors, looks quite... trashy. Frankly I'm trying to source an original sterling head unit. I found one at the breakers but there was no code.

Sorry for the rambling. Long story short, I'm trying to source one without having to give up an arm and a leg =)

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I can't see postage being much of a problem, I've bought stuff from the US around the size and weight of a trip computer and I've paid no more than say £15.

If you do manage to find one would you be willing to sell your slimline trip? If so, I'd be most interested.

Regarding the 'Sterling' head unit, could it not be decoded or something. There are shops here that decode radios for around £10 to £15.

decalservice
Regular Visitor

Post by decalservice » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 am

Sigh, I actually personally removed a mint radio out of a '91 and last moment decided not to buy it... for $15. stupid stupid stupid. I just hope that the JY that had it ended up keeping it somewhere, cause I handed it back to the checkout teller.

God knows where it is now. When I went to the JY and told them I was there for the Sterling, they STILL had no idea what i was talking about. They claimed they didn't have one, even though their inventory had a picture.

So, a sarcastic "good luck to me" is in order. =)

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 am

A good source of cheep shipping over seas is http://interparcel.com, I have used them a few times for international deliveries and you can usually get a good price from one of the couriers.

It might be worth getting a quote from them.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

decalservice
Regular Visitor

Post by decalservice » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:44 am

Good deal, will look into it! Thank you!