Coupe trim

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Coupe trim

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:23 am

I never knock anything until i've tried it - i might be missing out on learning something useful! :wink: :D

The point i was trying (and failing!) to make is that with such a high-tech sounding glue, the use of water being sprayed on to activate it seems not only low-tech by comparison but also unnecessary when something could presumably be added to activate it without needing to spray water on it. I still haven't put it all that well but i think you get the idea i'm getting at?

All the reasons you give for removing the dash are why i like it in situ and prefer to do it on a baking hot day. As i previously pointed out, the heat does make it a bit unpleasant but speeds and eases the process including making it easier to "push" the vinyl back to where it needs to be.
Each to their own and both methods have their merits, as long as the end result is what it should be it doesn't really matter how you get there.

As you say, some people are not up to doing anything remotely practical and sadly my coupe was previously looked after by a mechanic like that. I'm slowly but surely getting it right and i'm just glad it appears to have never had dash lift during the ownership of the woman that entrusted it to this clown else there would no doubt be a motley collection of self tappers and who knows what else adorning the top of the dash!

I do have a small job lined up in the near future that i might give the Gorilla Glue a try on and that is on my manual tyre changer. When i first got it, i invested in a sheet of neoprene to carve up and glue on to the various points that would contact the wheel during the tyre changing process.
At the time i used carpet spray glue which is pretty much EvilStik under pressure, give or take a chemical compound or two. It lasted fairly well but on the bit of angle iron which is mounted with the apex uppermost to act as a wedge to prevent the wheel moving while using the bead breaker, it lost adhesion fairly quickly.
If the Gorilla holds that then it should certainly hold the dash down!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:16 am

scoobyh123 wrote:As you say, some people are not up to doing anything remotely practical and sadly my coupe was previously looked after by a mechanic like that. I'm slowly but surely getting it right and i'm just glad it appears to have never had dash lift during the ownership of the woman that entrusted it to this clown else there would no doubt be a motley collection of self tappers and who knows what else adorning the top of the dash!!
My coupe was also owned by an amateur mechanic, who's ideas and ambition far exceeded his abilities. Virtually all the issues I've had with the car in my ownership have been caused by his bodgery or "improvements".

It frustrates me no end that the DIYer is actively discouraged by law from simple electrical jobs in their house, yet it is perfectly acceptable for the unskilled novice to bugger around with the brakes on 1500kg car capable of well over 100mph.

Not that I feel such things should be legislated against, but there is a huge contradiction there. Maybe a start would be a set of clear, idiot proof instructions and safety warnings in the box with parts such as brake pads, and cam belts. It would cost pennies.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 am

traineefarmer wrote: It frustrates me no end that the DIYer is actively discouraged by law from simple electrical jobs in their house, yet it is perfectly acceptable for the unskilled novice to bugger around with the brakes on 1500kg car capable of well over 100mph.

Not that I feel such things should be legislated against, but there is a huge contradiction there. Maybe a start would be a set of clear, idiot proof instructions and safety warnings in the box with parts such as brake pads, and cam belts. It would cost pennies.
Extend that a little and Joe Bloggs has just been made redundant. He knows a bit about cars and a bit about electrics. With his redundancy package he buys a van and some tools to set himself up in business as...................what? Nine times out of ten, it will be as a mechanic as there are laws (as you rightly point out) against him touching electricity.
The frustrating bit for me is i am qualified in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, far and above the 16th/17th Edition (which you can do on a short course, a week or thereabouts) having done an apprenticeship. Theoretically i still can't alter the wiring etc without getting it certified after. In practice whenever i've had the electricians out for repairs here, i've had to diagnose and then explain how to rectify the problem.

That aside, when you find things on your car like only one shock absorber renewed or 2 pads and one disc fitted out of the axle set, it makes you wonder if adding a set of idiot proof instructions would actually do any good. Admittedly it's a good idea but it's hard to legislate against lack of common sense!
mrpcpc wrote: It will stick the noeprene but will it be even ?
Good point, the alternative is a couple of pieces of nylon/perspex/similar sheet secured by countersunk bolts.

mrpcpc wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:As you say, some people are not up to doing anything remotely practical and sadly my coupe was previously looked after by a mechanic like that.
My coupe was also owned by an amateur mechanic, who's ideas and ambition far exceeded his abilities. Virtually all the issues I've had with the car in my ownership have been caused by his bodgery or "improvements".

It frustrates me no end that the DIYer is actively discouraged by law from simple electrical jobs in their house, yet it is perfectly acceptable for the unskilled novice to bugger around with the brakes on 1500kg car capable of well over 100mph.

Good point.

I found this little caption on another site I was on (CBRXX) I'm banned for life for having an opinion and being correct, but I suppose its my fault for arguing with an administrator :lol: )

Anyway, the caption said...

"I know it wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people in the world but would it be fair to remove all the warning signs and labels and let nature take its course ?"

Back to the ban, I slide in there every now and again with diferent IP adresses and aliases just to annoy him now. very childish I know but I was banned by a child with power.
My view is that the naturally stupid ignore the warning signs etc so nature will inevitably take its course anyway! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:24 pm

mrpcpc wrote:I personally would not tackle any job unless I was 100% COMPETENT in the task. This sadly has nothing to do with being qualified.
My PA1 course (pesticide applications) feature a section on how to hold a steering wheel correctly.

A HGV driver told me of a CPC course on healthy eating.

The Qualified electrician that I used to use for signing off my own installations liked to use a cordless drill to tighten cable couplings in fuse boards. And no, he didn't use a torque limiter.

Whatever happened to pride in doing a good job?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:33 am

Hmmmmm, 1.5mm T&E for all lighting circuits? So that's what i was doing wrong when i installed 3 off 800W Metal Halide floodlamps on top of a 64ft silo!! Obviously the 3 core 2.5mm SWA was just a waste of time and money and totally unnecessary for protection, strength, lack of voltage drop (main contactor for lighting was about 300ft away from the base of the silo) but the council obviously know best as that's now the only way to wire up lighitng circuits! :wink: :lol:

There is no job satisfaction or pride in the job these days as both of you have said. Not sure if this link will work correctly but should give you a Google Streetview of a ready mix concrete batching plant. The right hand silo in the picture still has one of the metal halide lamps on top of it if you zoom in - i did that!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=52.83 ... ic&dg=ntvo

Google date is 2012, the lamps went up about 1998-2000, can't remember the exact date now. At least one of them has survived at least 12 years! :wink: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:04 am

Paul, I think Dave was in agreement with you! :lol: :wink:
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)