Power steering pump for a '98 820 with a/con

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bert3
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Power steering pump for a '98 820 with a/con

Post by Bert3 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am

As per subject: Has anyone got a decent power steering pump for a 1998 820 they want to sell? Mines working but very noisy .... and it's not a case of bleeding it; it's past that stage :-(

The engine's a T-series with aircon so fittings are slightly different to non aircon models, and it needs to have the coupling for the water pump on the rear (so pumps from Landies/later MG models - 25, 45 etc don't bolt straight in).

pm me with what you want for it including p&p to Warrington (Cheshire) ..... unless you're close and I can possibly sort picking it up.

Cheers.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Power steering pump for a '98 820 with a/con

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:36 pm

I was going to make a suggestion about using an 825 KV6 pump until i remembered the T-Series has the PAS pump on the back of the water pump.

Meanwhile back on Planet Sane (ish!) i know someone who may have one, i'll ask tomorrow for you but got a horrible feeling he'll say "It was on the red one" - a reference to a scrapper he had until recently, sold and has needed umpteen bits from it since!

He may have one lurking in his garage though, fingers crossed!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Bert3
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bert3 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Getting frustrated looking for a decent pump with the same fittings so tried to repair the original ..... Few internal issues sorted, and discovered standard 0.5mm gasket paper isn't up to the job (not surprisingly). Spurted fluid out in all directions. So, I've bought one of the gaskets from Czech Seb on ebay and see how that goes.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:01 pm

Good luck - still waiting for my mate to confirm whether he has one or not!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Bert3
Regular Visitor

Post by Bert3 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Bert3 wrote:Getting frustrated looking for a decent pump with the same fittings so tried to repair the original ..... Few internal issues sorted, and discovered standard 0.5mm gasket paper isn't up to the job (not surprisingly). Spurted fluid out in all directions. So, I've bought one of the gaskets from Czech Seb on ebay and see how that goes.
Well that worked ..... if the intention was to throw another litre of steering fluid over the drive :roll:
Next step is to junk the pump, water pump, & ac and fit the non-ac setup from my scrapped Vitesse .... but that'll be next weekend at the earliest. Another week of wasted tax/insurance. Seems the coupe wants to follow the Vitty to the great razorblade factory in the sky.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Before you bin the current set-up, i've reminded my mate about looking for one for you - turns out he completely forgot!

Re the gasket you tried to make from 0.5mm paper, what was the original made from?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Bert3
Regular Visitor

Post by Bert3 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Thanks for the leads people .... finally got this sorted using a pump from a diesel 25 and found the source of all the original problems; turned out the o-ring inside the pump on the supply pipe elbow was sealing when cold but when warm was worn enough for air to get drawn in/let fluid leak out. Looked/felt fine until compared with a new viton high temp one (new one is on left in pic). Thanks to this and new fluid, the steering is back to buttery soft, very very easy to turn, and no graunching noise!

Scooby - The orig gasket was the factory clear plastic with a yellow rubber/silicon. Looks like the replacement fibre gasket holds fine as well (I'll keep that pump as a spare!)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:36 pm

Glad you got it all sorted! I wonder if that original gasket was maybe polyurethane as that can cope with a lot of high temperatures and can be quite flexible.

Either way if the new paper one is holding, that's good news!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Bert3 wrote:Thanks for the leads people .... finally got this sorted using a pump from a diesel 25 and found the source of all the original problems; turned out the o-ring inside the pump on the supply pipe elbow was sealing when cold but when warm was worn enough for air to get drawn in/let fluid leak out. Looked/felt fine until compared with a new viton high temp one (new one is on left in pic). Thanks to this and new fluid, the steering is back to buttery soft, very very easy to turn, and no graunching noise!

Scooby - The orig gasket was the factory clear plastic with a yellow rubber/silicon. Looks like the replacement fibre gasket holds fine as well (I'll keep that pump as a spare!)
Can you send me the size of the o-ring please, I'm having the same problem with my 820.

Many thanks

Ian