Heater sliding on/off switch or heater switch control panel

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BrianMcDonald
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Heater sliding on/off switch or heater switch control panel

Post by BrianMcDonald » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 pm

I am looking for a sliding heater on/off switch and or complete dash heater control panel for a 1994 Rover 820Si. Have been looking for about a fortnight now with no luck. The actual part number for the panel is YUL100980. Anyone got any ideas where i might find this elusive little so and so, bad time to have no heaters !!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Heater sliding on/off switch or heater switch control pa

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Why are you looking for a switch? It's quite common for the resistor pack in the blower motor to give up and sometimes even the blower motor too. Usually the switches last quite well.

With the resistor pack, if memory serves correctly if you remove the glovebox and the under-dash trim on the passenger side, you should see a small panel on the blower motor where the cable plugs in with 4 or 6 screws holding the panel in. Unplug it and remove the screws and the resisitor pack will come out. Often the resistor wires have broken, usually near their ends. It's fairly easy to see where they should go and they can usually be soldered back into postion to get the motor going again. If it's the motor that's dead then you need to repalce that and i think i'm right in saying the motors are the same across the range, air-con or no air-con.

Most of the time, if the motor only works on the fastest speed then it's the resistor pack. If it won't work on any speed it's usually the motor, fuse or sometimes the switch.
Apologies if you've already been through this procedure, if you haven't then hopefully it's useful. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:36 am

Whereabouts are you based Brian?

User Chatterbox_Trish has a good stash of these. If you can take a picture of the exact part that you need, she'll be able to find it for you I'm sure.

She's based over towards Mansfield.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

BrianMcDonald

Post by BrianMcDonald » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:19 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Why are you looking for a switch? It's quite common for the resistor pack in the blower motor to give up and sometimes even the blower motor too. Usually the switches last quite well.

With the resistor pack, if memory serves correctly if you remove the glovebox and the under-dash trim on the passenger side, you should see a small panel on the blower motor where the cable plugs in with 4 or 6 screws holding the panel in. Unplug it and remove the screws and the resisitor pack will come out. Often the resistor wires have broken, usually near their ends. It's fairly easy to see where they should go and they can usually be soldered back into postion to get the motor going again. If it's the motor that's dead then you need to repalce that and i think i'm right in saying the motors are the same across the range, air-con or no air-con.

Most of the time, if the motor only works on the fastest speed then it's the resistor pack. If it won't work on any speed it's usually the motor, fuse or sometimes the switch.
Apologies if you've already been through this procedure, if you haven't then hopefully it's useful. :wink: :D
I have had the complete heater blower housing unit out of the car and completely overhauled. Working perfectly. Had auto electrician ( who used to work on Rovers before they went belly up ) test whole heater circuit and his conclusion is that the sliding On/Off swich has finally gone after 21 years. But thanks anyway for your suggestion.

BrianMcDonald

Post by BrianMcDonald » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:29 am

mercedade wrote:Whereabouts are you based Brian?

User Chatterbox_Trish has a good stash of these. If you can take a picture of the exact part that you need, she'll be able to find it for you I'm sure.

She's based over towards Mansfield.
Hi, i'm in Merseyside. Not being computer savie what is chatterbox and is there any other way I could contact this Trish. It sounds as if she could be really helpful. Would you happen to have a mobile number for her or perhaps an email both of which i might be able to get a picture to her. If this works out can't thank you enough.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:36 am

Fair play - at least you know a new switch should cure it then. :wink:

Re your post that came in while i was responding, Chatterbox_Trish is the scren name of a member on here. Here's a link to one of her posts selling some parts, i'm sure if you got in touch via PM and explained and/or sent a phto of the bit you're after she would be able to help if she has the bits you're after.

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12767

Hopefully that's more useful than my first "helpful" post! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:39 am

PM sent
Adrian

BrianMcDonald

Post by BrianMcDonald » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Fair play - at least you know a new switch should cure it then. :wink:

Re your post that came in while i was responding, Chatterbox_Trish is the scren name of a member on here. Here's a link to one of her posts selling some parts, i'm sure if you got in touch via PM and explained and/or sent a phto of the bit you're after she would be able to help if she has the bits you're after.

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12767

Hopefully that's more useful than my first "helpful" post! :wink: :lol: :D
Can't thank you enough "scooby123" for all the assistance, but since my last communique the auto electrician has called back and we have removed the front of the dash board with the heater controls on and stripped the switch out of it and repaired the switch. all heaters now working lovely and hot. But as i said before can't thank you enough. Will keep Trish in the back of my mind just in case though.

BrianMcDonald

Post by BrianMcDonald » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:20 pm

mercedade wrote:PM sent
Thanks for the very useful information but have had a bit of good luck with the auto electrician calling back and between us we removed the front of the dash with the heater controls on. stripped switch out and repaired it. Heaters running nice and hot now. But as I said thank you mercedale will keep Trish in the back of my mind for future ref. Thanks again.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:01 am

You're very welcome, glad to hear it was an easy(ish) fix
Adrian