Wanted please - 827 Crankshaft Position Sensor

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Wanted please - 827 Crankshaft Position Sensor

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Does anyone have a good Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS, part number NSC10001 or NSC10007) tucked away in their shed/garage/cave they no longer need/want that they would be willing to exchange for a sensible amount of money please?

Mine has just thrown a wobbly on the Sterling, not sure if it's just dirty, whether there's a broken cable or dirty connection somewhere as it seems intermittent at the moment but i'd prefer to have one in case it's not fixable - it's a lot of stripping down in the hope of cleaning only to find it's beyond repair!

For those who aren't familiar with it, it's the one that sits behind the front cam pulley. I know, i know, it's a Crankshaft Position Sensor mounted behind the camshaft pulley :shock: :roll: - i didn't build the engine though! :lol:

Either reply to this thread or PM me with the details if you have one please!

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

DJScoots
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Wanted please - 827 Crankshaft Position Sensor

Post by DJScoots » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:11 am

Hi, if you find one after you've got your own let me know. I'm after exactly the same part on my MK1 Vitesse. The only bit spoiling what would be otherwise a lovely car!

cheers

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 am

Will do - meanwhile has yours just started playing up as well? If so, try pulling fuses "S" from the under bonnet fusebox for a few minutes and then replace it. Take it for a drive and see how soon the PGM-Fi/EML/MIL comes back on. If it's definitely the sensor it will almost certainly come back on straight away. If not it could be moisture inside or on/in the plug on the ECU which i'm beginning to think mine is.
However i don't have a spare so if i get offered one i'll still be taking it - if i get offered two i'll pass the second on to you.

Alternatively someone on another forum i'm on pointed me at this :

http://www.sparepartstore24.co.uk/7481481-era

For £75 if the sensor is FUBAR then it's a better price than Honda want (£200) and in the UK so you won't have to wait for shipping from the United States.

I take it your ECU is giving 8 flashes as well then?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

DJScoots
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by DJScoots » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks Dave. I read your other reply too. You're not a million miles from me in Suffolk. I'm only in Peterborough.

The link to the sparepartstore, is that MK2 specific only? It does say 2.7l from 88' onwards. If that's the bit i need I would be extremely happy :)

regards

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Not too far Chris - about 60 miles or 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours by A roads or 40 miles and 2+ hours via the Fens.

The same sensor was carried over onto the Mk2 827 as well - from 91 Honda used a different sensor in the Legend because they had turned the engine the other way and bored it out to a 3.2 - don't get excited, it only pumped out 200bhp so not much more than the C27 we know and love.

Like so many parts these days, the Rover version is no longer listed but if you know where to find the right Honda equivalent parts online and the correct Honda part numbers, it's usually possible to find most bits.

Lambda sensors are another - the Lambda sensors on 8v OHC Vauxhall and Daewoo (circa 90-95) are the same sensors with different plugs on the end. There's plenty available on fleabay starting at about a tenner each but try finding one for a 2.7 Legend and the price jumps four-fold and if you're feeling brave, try finding one for an 827!!!

The 2.7 engine was only available from '88 onwards so yes it will fit yours. I think i've been very lucky with mine and it was damp causing the problem. I have in fact been offered a used one and as soon as the seller gets back to me i'll almost certainly snap it up. However, if you're going to replace it then that one at sparepartstore will do the job.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

DJScoots

Post by DJScoots » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Brilliant thank you. I'll order it and see what happens :). Need to get a timing belt, tensioner and water pump whilst that job will be done too (any links or previous advice appreciated)

lol @ 2+ hours via the fens, or 6+ via the A14 ;)

Now to all my other jobs:

Rear Wiper wash unblocking - done
New Wiper blades all round - done
Scuttle panel replaced on the front - done
Clear front side indicators - done
Front and rear speaker replacement - Front done and rear in progress
Front bumper back in it's bracket! - done
Handbrake - to be done in time for the MOT
Complete engine flush and service - done
Bodywork rust issues - TBA

Thanks Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Good point on the A14 Chris! :lol:

As for a cam belt, i've used these successfully :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361306982494? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The tensioners seem to go on forever in the 827 and so far i've only ever inspected them, cleaned them and renewed the tensioner spring :

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XHM463

Apparently unavailable at the moment, if you click on the link for it and then click the link on Rimmers to set up an alert for when they have new stocks (i've just done the same) it will hopefully kick them into action to get some more in. They really are important as they tension the cam belt correctly and without a new one the belt can jump - i've seen it happen! Luckily the owner got away with it for various reasons but it could have been very nasty!
If there is any sign of roughness, noise or slop in the tensioner then it would obviously be better to renew it but all that i have seen are pretty much "as good as new".

Water pumps - definitely worth doing when you change the belt! I recently bought one on ebay that was allegedly new, when it landed here it had witness marks where it had been bolted onto the block! Also the gasket was crushed and had aluminium corrosion stains on it. It looks and feels new but knowing that they do have a service life i wouldn't want to risk it, except in emergency! Best price i can find on fleabay for a water pump at the moment is £45 :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Pump-Ho ... xyXp5STub6

Somewhere on here i did a "post cam belt change" write up with a few pointers - found it!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3847&hilit=honda+cambelt

Not intended to be a definitive guide but there's a few things in there the Haynes Book of Fantasy doesn't mention (and neither does the ROover WSM either!) that you should hopefully find helpful although there isn't any mention of changing the spring - i hadn't discovered the problem at the time! :oops:

Re your handbrake - is there a bright, shiny "ring of contact" on your rear discs where the pads are gripping it under braking? If so it may be a different job to what you think!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

DJScoots

Post by DJScoots » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:25 pm

HI Dave,

Thanks again for all the useful info. I've registered the interest for the spring on Rimmer Bros, bought the belt and ordered the cam sensor. The Cam sensor peeps emailed me and said it was out of stock and they are looking to see if they can find another! (not holding my breath) :)

As for the handbrake, I'll have to have a look at the discs in daylight when i remember!

regards

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:30 pm

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! :evil: That is SO annoying when a website/seller shows an item in stock, you buy it then they say "Errr, sorry.......... it's out of stock!"

Why can't they put something on the website saying something like "Low Stock on this item - you can order but it may take slightly longer for delivery" or "Sorry - Out of Stock, more expected <date> or END OF LINE SORRY". Would be that much better than leading you as a customer to belive everything was fine then dropping the bombshell.

Hopefully Rimmers will get their finger out and sort some more tensioner springs, if they don't i may have a spare one but not sure until i check.

As for the handbrake, i've managed to find the thread where i outlined the procedure :

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13539

There are so many people who put their car in for MoT and either the handbrake is high (which it should be on an 800 compared to other cars) or isn't working or the service brake is low on efficiency. Most of the time the MoT station tightens the handbrake cable and get a pass on the brakes but it doesn't work for long. The only real way of sorting them once and for all is to use that procedure. One big trouble is when an 800 goes for MoT and the tester says the handbrake is too high (despite having plenty of reserve travel) and over tightens it - it prevents the auto adjusters working then the trouble begins.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:08 am

Rimmers are the worst for it...

Think it was Floor Mats I ordered on there, 40-50 quids worth.
Wanted some little coloured screw cover caps too, so ordered them with it.

Mats never arrived, screw caps did

about 16p for the caps..... and 5 quid postage :(
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:20 am

Hope they refunded the cost of the mats Dean?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 am

Yea
But had I known they were out of stock I wouldnt have ordered the screw caps
Didnt wanna pay that much for 2 plastic caps
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 pm

I had similar with some anti roll bar bushes, a few other bits and the little white plastic clips that go on the front doors for the "hidden" screw on the back end of the door trim card to screw into.

I didn't want to pay stupid money (about a fiver) for P&P on the clips alone so ordered them with the other bits to get one postage cost for the whole lot (think it came to about £6 all in for P&P) and a couple of days later, everything arrived - except the clips! Meanwhile they had sent an email saying the clips were out of stock so they would send them on. They did, in a separate Jiffy bag and didn't charge extra for the postage.

Like many businesses these days they seem to make up the rules as they go along!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

DJScoots

Post by DJScoots » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 am

Hi Dave,

This tensioner spring looks very similar to the one that's out of stock. What do you reckon?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LHR10025

cheers

Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:30 am

Well it looks similar Chris but i seriously doubt it is. This one is though :

http://www.new-part.com/product/acura-l ... ne-oem-new

All the usual suspects that would have it in the UK seem to be out of stock, hence looking further afield! Alternatively allbrit.de aren't saying it's NLA so maybe they have some :

http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=648653&SPRACHE=EN

If we knew or could find out the spec of the spring we could almost certainly find an alternative but until then we're stuck.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate