'99 Vitesse exhaust!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ricklattimore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

'99 Vitesse exhaust!

Post by ricklattimore » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello! Thanks to this forum, my T-reg Vitesse continues to do me more than proud - I have zero tech knowledge, but you've managed to sort out all my problems so far: I pass on your words of wisdom to a mechanic mate, and he does the necessary. Latest is the exhaust, which is basically falling apart. My wife reckons we sound like a tractor. I've tried Rimmers and Breakersyard, but no joy. There's only so much welding my mechanic can do. It's the 'intermediate assembly exhaust system', according to Rimmers, but, as I say, nothing available from them. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance, as always!

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: '99 Vitesse exhaust!

Post by midnite » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 pm

fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Annoyingly, that won't be the right one Matt - although the Vitesse has a different system (which is the one you've found), the latest 200bhp Vitesse (of which a T reg would be) is different again. They have a larger bore and might also be a different length (I don't know this for certain, but because Rover kept ****-ing around with the front pipes for pretty much every year the 820 was made, I could easily imagine it).

I guess this one might 'do' if you could find out it was the right length, but it wouldn't be correct bore size and may well restrict performance.

Not that I've got a better solution Rick - it's a hard car to find exhaust parts for (I have the same one). For reference, a diesel 825 back box is right for our Vitesse model.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:59 pm

All the exhausts are pretty much interchangable with minimal modification. Biggest problem is the turbo had a larger diameter bore. 60mm if my research is correct. Rimmers had some stock of genuine diesel and KV6 exhaust parts that could maybe cobbled together to make a useable system.

Beware of some of the Ebay aftermarket stuff. Due to the interchangabilty of 800 systems, some are selling NASP pipes as fitment for the turbos. They will fit, but will also badly curtail your performance and engine life.

A custom fitted stainless system is probably the best way to go, or a ready to fit "performance" system, although these are becoming harder to find. And also beware of the various custom stainless fitters out there, some are real cowboys. My car had one fitted less than six months before I bought it and was literally in pieces 12 months later. Go for a reputable franchise like Longlife or Powerflow (who are actually the same company anyway) or somewhere with plenty of recommendations.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:40 pm

If you're anywhere near Ipswich, try Demand Engineering Rick.

http://demandengineering.co.uk/custom-exhausts/

I know at least one member who had one made for his n/asp 820 and he reckons it is a superb job. Having seen it "in the metal" i agree.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

ricklattimore

Post by ricklattimore » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Many thanks to you all for the usual rapid expert advice and support. Have been in touch with Dan at Demand Engineering - really nice bloke to deal with. He can sort us out a replacement for my middle exhaust section. In fact, he suggested that I have not just the middle section, but everything from the cat back (not including the cat, though he can also do it and the front pipe at extra cost) replaced while I was over in Ipswich: hand built, all in stainless, £425 fitted, inc. VAT. The wife shouldn't take much persuading that she's always wanted a day's shopping in sunny Suffolk - and Dan will provide a loan car while he's doing the work. So, once again, warmest thanks to you all, as ever.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:23 pm

That's not a bad price Rick - would be great if you can get some pics of the build/fit operation and a write up afterwards - you don't want to go traipsing round shops anyway, do you! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!