Rover 800 Sterling mk1

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
leerogs
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rover 800 Sterling mk1

Post by leerogs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:31 pm

I bought a mk1 Rover 800 Sterling, initially for the 2.7 V6 engine to go into a Mini or Metro. The body work is very bad but I began to realise it might be less work to bring the Sterling back to life, IF I can find a replacement bulkhead first! This needs replacing as the car was found parked in a garden and beneath trees, so all the leaves and moisture settled at the bottom of the windscreen for 5+ years, slowly eating away at the bulkhead where the wiper linkage etc is bolted. I've tried Rover dealer/outlets, Rimmer bros', ebay etc. Am maybe thinking of looking down the mk1 Honda Legend route? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the only other alternative would be trying to find a donor vehicle.... Thanks guys.

midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 800 Sterling mk1

Post by midnite » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

mate put up a pic of the offending rust area, because to change a bulk head is virtually an impossible job, its going to take so much time you'd be better buying another car.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

leerogs

Post by leerogs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:08 pm

Would do but car's at work. It's rotten in so many areas of the bulkhead. It's a large complexed pressing I know. It would be screen out (new screen), dashboard out. I don't mind the work so much if I could get a new bulkhead. To patch it, it would just look wrong and probably be just as time consuming.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:20 pm

i don't think you can get new screens mate, unless you get a nos bulkhead, but I've never seen one rotted that badly, where did the car come from, is it one we might have seen advertised recently?
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:49 pm

If you can wait a month or are willing to travel to Cambridge I can supply an angle grinder, cut off wheels and a hammer for you to cut out the bits you need from my breaker?
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

leerogs

Post by leerogs » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:19 pm

It would be a second hand screen. I've heard mk2 screens are the same as mk1's? Anyway, irrelevant if I can't get the bulkhead. My mk1 is a 1988 model, I think these '99 models have a different bulkhead? Thanks guys.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:48 am

The car Dusan is referring to is his 93/L reg 827 Sterling fastback and i'm pretty sure from memory that the bulkheads are the same as the Mk1 - can't be too far out bearing in mind they're both 827s.
However i think you're right about the post-96 bulkheads being different - if not there is another one about 30 miles east of Cambridge in a 1999 825 Si.

You're right about the screens being the same from Mk1 to Mk2 and in the si that i'm breaking there are two new screens - they just need removing! I'd be willing to let you cut the bodywork away round them so you could then spend hours painstakingly removing the body bits from the screen, probably the safest way of removing a screen in one piece!

That said and referring to Matts comment about your bulkhead, it may well be easier to repair what you have - some pics would help assess the damage.

If you still want a V6 to drop in a Mini or similar, i also have a sweet (i know, it's a rarity!) KV6 engine and manual box for sale, 61k from new and cambelts changed 10k ago.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

leerogs

Post by leerogs » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm going to try and get some pics to show you what I'm up against! Thanks for the info', much appreciated.

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:35 pm

bulkheads are all the same barring one or two additions and omissions of the stud and captive nut variety but the shape is unchanged regarding 1996 onwards.

one other is right here., I'd get another and use the one you have for spares.