Cream Leather

Moderators: guru, SJG

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cream Leather

Post by TomSaintJames » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:19 am

Hi All,

Exams are now finished, so I can now start getting some jobs sorted on my now-not-so recently purchased 820 from Dusan, Fairly high on the list of jobs is finding a set of late post-96 cream leather seats with either green or neutral (black/grey?) piping, not red or blue piping.

Anyone have or know of a set available? I'll have the recaros to shift after - either with or without the original leather and green velour re-upholstering.

Cheers,
Tom
I'm by no means a Saint, nor a James - but a Tom. My cars are:

1985 Citroen BX19 GT Bleu Romantique
1999 Rover 820 Si Fastback British Racing Green

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Cream Leather

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi Tom,

glad your exams are all over, good luck for the results you're after!

As for the seats, i don't know of any at the moment but i'd worry more about the overall condition of them rather than the colour of the piping. The piping can be easily and cheaply recoloured and while you're at it, you could give the Stone Beige (or as Land-Rover call it, Light Stone Beige :wink: :idea: ) a refresh as well.

http://www.therepairwizard.co.uk/

Try that site, you'll need the leather prep, the colour and the leather finish. Three choices of finish, matt, gloss and satin. I used the satin on the bits i used it for as that seemed to be the closest to the original finish. To give you an idea, from this :

to this :

To quote Dusan when he saw the "after" panel, "if i didn't know better, i'd say that was factory" or words very similar.

In fact you could recolour the whole of the seats but obviously that would be a lot more work than even just refreshing the Stone Beige. Well worth doing a refresh on them though, just so they look fresh and new when you fit them. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TomSaintJames » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Ok, thanks Dave - will keep an eye out. Didn't know leather could be so easily re-coloured - that blue looks lovely. Do you just use a dye of some sort? I'd be worried about it rubbing off on clothes.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:27 pm

It's a leather dye Tom, part of the reason for using the leather finish is to protect the leather and prevent it being rubbed off. As i said, have a good look at that site but meanwhile if you look at this page from it, it explains exactly how to do it :

http://therepairwizard.co.uk/Leather-re ... ng-service,

this should link to Light Stone Beige (as Land-Rover call it, it's still SMK colour code though) :

http://therepairwizard.co.uk/index.php? ... uct_id=205

Also if you check the Land-Rover leather colour charts, you should find the right green. If not, have a look at their "universal" leather dyes I used their Navy Blue on my leather door card inserts. Matches the Atlantic Blue carpet i have to go in my Sterling perfectly.

I used some "foam" paint brushes to apply it, it's water soluble so the brushes could be easily washed and re-used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Plastic-H ... 2749.l2649
Brushes ^^^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Viny ... 2749.l2649
Dye ^^^ Pick your colour or use the Land-Rover colours on that site for an exact match to Stone Beige.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Fini ... 2749.l2649
Finish ^^^ I used Satin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/leather-prep ... 2749.l2649
Leather Prep ^^^

Hopefully that should be all the info you need to turn even a shabby set of Stone Beige seats into a set of new-looking Stone Beige with green piping seats! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor

Post by TomSaintJames » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Goodness! What an excellent lot of info, thanks Dave - I will peruse at will.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:59 pm

You're welcome Tom, good luck finding some seats! My last spare ones went to Phil B (nuts4my827), i don't know if he'd be able to help you out with any of the bits he removed but i think it was pre-96 so you'd definitely have to colour the piping!

What are you doing about the carpet in that car? I can't remember what colour it is, i seem to recall it's pretty good condition though. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor

Post by TomSaintJames » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 am

Carpets seem quite nice, they're green to match the car. If and when the seats get changed i'll give them a good rug doctor/steam clean/hoover to try and get rid if the stale cigarette smell that persists, and give them a bit of a refreshing treatment.

Might have to do something about the mats, although they're relatively nice (look like genuine Rover ones) the drivers keeps sliding and occasionally the clutch gets stuck on it. Dusan did give me the hook thingies that are supposed to anchor them, but there is a small hole in the carpet where they've been hooked into it over the years - any ideas Dave on a possible solution?

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 pm

The holes are from the original plastic clips that rover used. They have a habit of breaking so those hooks are the Rover dealer supplied fix.

I used to hook them into the seat runner mounts as not to damage the carpet.

Glad you're having fun getting stuck in! :-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:37 pm

What Dusan said! ^^^^^ :lol:

You could try Rimmers for the clips, i can't find them on this listing which i thought would be the closest but they have a habit of putting things into "odd" listings :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004899

Give them a call, if the clips are still available then they are only pennies each, the P&P costs more! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Also just found this :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-EAH104660HAE

Comes with the top part of the clips, you could maybe use that as a reference to what you need when you ring Rimmers. Or even treat yourself to a new mat as well! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor

Post by TomSaintJames » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Sorry Dave, the car came with what I think is metal hooks to replace as Dusan said, the original plastic ones. Using the seat runners sounds like a plan, will give that a go.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm

The original plastic ones broke apparently which is why Dusan used the hooks. I might have a set of the original fixings somewhere but it will take me a while to find them. They are green in fact as i have a green carpet and Stone Beige/green piped leather in my Coupé and they came with the carpet and seats.

I'll have a look next time i'm in the garage. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor

Post by TomSaintJames » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Cheers Dave.

TomSaintJames
Regular Visitor

Post by TomSaintJames » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Just a thought here, would Range Rover P38 seats be transferable? I assume i'd need to keep the 800 bases/frames but could maybe fit the RR cushions to it?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Reckon that's a "suck it and see" challenge Tom!
Got two chances, they either do or they don't!

Given that a P38 interior is going to set you back bundles of £££ i think i'd wait and find a set of 800 seats instead.

Looking at them on ebay, the fronts appear similar but no way are the back seats from a Rangie going to fit an 800. Did find these though :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-800-Fa ... SwGtRX0B6Q

Granted they're grey but you could recolour them as previously suggested, alternatively :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover- ... 0005.m1851

You'd only be able to use the front seats, the plastic cowl round the edge of the seats looks similar/same as an 800 so it's really just the pattern on the leather that look wildly different, might be worth a try but i'd rather spend a bit more on seats i know will fit and recolour them before fitting
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate