primary linkage arm for windscreen wipers

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BrianMcDonald
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

primary linkage arm for windscreen wipers

Post by BrianMcDonald » Sat May 12, 2018 1:53 pm

After discovering that the problem i have got with the wipers packing up on my 820i is not electrical or motor related but with the linkage i could really do with locating a Primary Linkage arm. I have managed to find a new partial linkage kit including both spindles and the linkage arm that connects them together plus a new motor crank arm. But unfortunately no one seems to have a primary linkage arm that connects motor/crank to the main spindle. I still have mine on the car but would appreciate a spare as apparently they are quite prone to breaking while they are being removed. If any one out there has one to fit a 1994 Rover 820i ( late model ) and are prepared to part with it i would much appreciate it.

Brian McDonald

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: primary linkage arm for windscreen wipers

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 am

Remove yours carefully (an open-ended spanner between the ball and socket works well), clean it and grease it with a lithium based grease.

Do similar to the various other parts of the wiper linkage and don't forget some oil on the spindles.

It's mainly the Mk1s that have problems with broken wiper linkages, i've had some sat in my garage for 5 years and recently threw them away as nobody had a problem with them.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

BrianMcDonald
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by BrianMcDonald » Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks for the tips on how to remove the linkages on my Rover. Will certainly try your method. I'm away for two weeks so will let you know how i get on when i'm back.

Thanks Brian Mc

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 pm

You're welcome Brian - with the open end spanner you get one jaw one side of the ball and the other jaw the other side so you can apply even pressure to both sides as you lever the joint apart - many people have just levered with a screwdriver or similar and this tends to break things through uneven pressure.

Don't be surprised if, after servicing the linkage by cleaning and lubing it, you still need a replacement motor. Primary cause of motor failure is the spindles corroding so they are either very stiff or no longer turn.

It's little bits of maintenance like this and silicone grease on the sunroof seal that are so often overlooked with the consequence of problems down the line. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

BrianMcDonald

Post by BrianMcDonald » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Dave.
Took your advice with the open ended spanner, worked a treat. Wipers back up and running although they required new spindles as the old one in the centre had ceased solid. took advice from other forum users and went to Rimmers for the parts. Motor checked and even after 24 years it's in perfect condition only part i had problem locating was the crank off the motor but managed to locate one through a firm called Rover Link, in Widnes who found one in a company in Holland. Anyway as i said wipers up and running like new again, another M.O.T. done. and again thanks for the advice really appreciated.

Brian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Glad you're all sorted Brian, a drop of oil on the spindles once a year or so will keep the new ones moving for another 24 years! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate