KV6 Coolant hoses

Moderators: guru, SJG

pat5338
Regular Visitor

KV6 Coolant hoses

Post by pat5338 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi,
My 1997 Rover 825 (KV6 engine) car is off the road due to a bad leak in the coolant hose from the top of the auto-gearbox cooler to the thermostat housing., this is the hose with the bleed screw in it.
I.deally I would like a new one,, but after a month of searching on line, they appear to be rarer than rocking-horse droppings, especially out here in New Zealand where only a very few 825s were sold new (5+/-) so there is virtually no spares back up.
Could anyone spare a good second hand one, and would be willing to post to New Zealand? Or any hints as to where I might find one would be really helpful.
regards

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: KV6 Coolant hoses

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Is there anything special about this hose apart from the bleed valve Adrian?

If it's the standard 16mm bore heater hose you could simply buy a length and cut it to size or domestic copper pipe is 15mm O/D, "Yorkshire" (solder ring) fittings for joining two lengths of copper pipe can be fitted and soldered on the ends of the repair section to give swages so the hose grips and can't come off and as they go outside the 15mm pipe are about 16mm - perfect fit!

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbi ... ler/p16860

They also do elbows :

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p38703

I've got a "bespoke" copper pipe with the straight fittings acting as swages (you can see a photo in my thread, it's painted black though) on my Sterling that runs across the front crossmember from the hose that feeds into it from the expansion tank then joins up with the 32mm bore hose that fits on the radiator bottom hose stub.

I think the hose you're looking for is item #5 on this diagram?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005067

If so i've found an alternative part number of GRH1441, however none seem to come up in any "open" searches online, none at Rimmers or at AllBrit http://allbrit.de/UGCtree.cfm?SPRACHE=EN

Hopefully the copper pipe idea or normal heater hose will work for you, alternatively you could re-route the coolant hoses and fit an external ATF cooler which would help prolong the life of your gearbox in any case.
Although it's on a 2.7, my "Project Galactic dawn" thread has some details that might be useful.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14522&e=1&view=unread#unread

That should go to the page that covers most of the fitting of it because i couldn't get hold of an automatic rad that incorporates the ATF cooler on the 2.7 models. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rovercoup » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:15 pm

There's is one available from this seller and they will post worldwide but don't know what the cost would be. Good luck.

https://www.mgroverpartfinder.com/XPART ... rice=empty
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Nice find Steve! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks guys, all very helpful information. I will get in touch with the people in Holland and find out how much they want for the hose and postage. Fortunately, as often happens when you send out an SOS, a totally unrelated inquiry has turned up a second hand one here in New Zealand. I wont know what sort of condition it is in until I get it, so it is really helpful to have news of a new one in Europe. Thanks Dave for your suggestions, I have to admit I had not thought of going down that route and fitting an aftermarket oil cooler.for the transmission. I assume I could then fit the bottom hose for a manual transmission 825, which Rimmers seem to stock, in place of the existing system.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:28 pm

If the bottom hose is different Adrian then yes as it won't be needed for the oil to water heat exchanger more commonly know as the ATF cooler.

Gave mine its first decent run today since fitting the new external ATF cooler. After a 40-50 mile run, mainly on dual carriageways averaging about 80mph, i could put my hand on the ATF cooler - just! Experience tells me it was about 55-60C from the feel of it so just about perfect!

Also eliminates any problems arising from a crack/break between the coolant and ATF passages which can result in coolant in the gearbox or in short, a dead gearbox. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Dave,
I assume that your ATF cooler is just air-cooled. I agree that it cuts out the chance that coolant could get into the gearbox, but the original cooler must have a slight warming effect on cold days and I wonder whether it helps the gearbox to be more efficient on icy days. We don't get a lot of those here in Nelson, though further south they get regular frosts of -10C+/- in mid-winter. At the moment I am just trying to keep the car on the road after the previous owner "cooked" the engine, the jury is still out on whether it did any permanent damage to the engine. It is smooth and quiet, but has been getting through hoses rather more often than I like, but they are now all well over 20 years old so may well be expected..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 pm

It is indeed air-cooled Adrian - whether that will have any adverse effects come winter remains to be seen though, jury is out on that one for now!
Not sure if you know but we're into 4+weeks of real heatwave here in the UK, 30+C most days! As such it's certainly making the ATF perform well with no chance of cooking it!
In winter it might stay a bit too cool, too long, if that's the case i may have to blank part of the cooler off to reduce that but i'll cross that particular bridge when i get to it!

If the KV6 you've got is smooth and quiet after repairing the head gaskets, i think you've bene lucky and if so, it should be a good one. Chances are when the previous owner boiled it, the hoses were all stressed with extra pressure, hence getting some problems now but as you say, they're all 20+ years old as well! :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Actually we never touched the head gaskets. The plastic thermostat housing had split causing the loss of coolant, all those parts were replaced. Compressions were all over the place afterwards, but my local mechanic said to keep cool and see how everything bedded down. He looked inside the cylinders with one of those fancy cameras and could see no evidence of head gasket failure and since the cost of a top-end strip down was far in excess of the car's worth, that side was left.
We do know the history of the car, as it was part of a batch brought in from Japan in 2001, all with busted engines, and a local car company here in Nelson, stripped them right down to the sump and rebuilt the engines with uprated gaskets, and triple core radiators. I actually spoke to the mechanic who worked on my car when it arrived, he remembered it because it was the only car they did with fabric covered seats and they were terrified some idiot would climb in with greasy overalls! Thankfully they never did and it still has an immaculate interior.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Definitely lucky with that one! Sounds like you've got a definite keeper there! Make sure you do regular ATF changes on it - never with Dexron though as the JATCo boxes hate it as much as the Honda boxes do! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks, I will bear that in mind. Last auto fluid change was in 2016, I plan to have it done again later this year, fortunately the original MG-Rover autobox fluid is still available over here (at a price!).
I now have to find a LH light/indicator steering column stalk for a Mk 1 827. My 1988 model will not pass its forthcoming Warrant of Fitness check without the headlights working. We have checked fuses, relays, wiring (the headlamp flash still works, so the bulbs light up). All I can think of now is a faulty switch. That's going to be fun trying to find one of those!

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Re-Coolant hose. I did get a reply from the X-part stockists in Holland and they wanted 95, UK pounds for it! Not sure I would get that passed the missus! Fortunately the second hand one, looks good.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Which switch do you need Adrian? Is it this one like the Mk2s :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-800-IN ... 2121123141

Or this one like the original Mk1s :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-800-SE ... 3147844250

Either way, if they won't post to NZ, get them to send it to me and i'll post it on for you. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 am

Thanks Dave, that was really helpful. I have ordered, and paid for the switch and used my sister's address in West Somerset, as that is on ebays website for when I visit the UK. It is a bit cumbersome as I have to change all sorts of settings, but really does not take too long. They will send it on to me, and I can then get the car through its WOF - provided there is not something else that is wrong.
I really appreciate your offer, and your help in locating a switch. I just hope that the heading was wrong, and that they actually send the switch illustrated not the wiper stalk! Unfortunately I could not query it from here as ebay would not allow me to contact the seller.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 am

You're welcome Adrian - if you check your purchase history it should show the switch you ordered, when i posted the links they were both headlamp switches, the first is the rotary stalk (that one still links to what i posted) and the second was the wide, flat stalk with the slide switch for the lights.

Now, for some weird reason, clicking the second link brings up the rotary stalk version of a wiper switch from the same seller as the first item. I'm fairly sure the seller was different and i think this wiper stalk is from the same seller as you bought the switch from, probably from the same car :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86-91-ROVER- ... 1307077102

That should be a photo of the wiper switch/stalk.

I've noticed lately that when an item sells on ebay, clicking the link results in a link to a live item with a similar description. I suspect this is ebays way of increasing sales but doesn't help if you don't use ebay often as it could cause panic - like now! Fingers crossed all is good though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable