KV6 Coolant hoses

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: KV6 Coolant hoses

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 pm

It's worth noting that the mk1 switches have some thin wires in the circuit (part of the switch). It has been none for one of those to become detached from its solder joint and may be repairable.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:58 pm

I should have remembered that - i had to repair the switch on my Mk1 820Si because of a broken wire. Had sidelights and dim-dip but no dipped beam or main beams.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:25 am

Well the switch arrived safely, was fitted - but no change! Grrrr
My son and I had the headlight bulbs out (the pax side one is a real b****r to get out), but they were fine.
So we are back to square one. I now suspect that the dip/full beam relay is the incorrect one. It is out of, or at least identical, to that fitted in my later 825. I spent quite a bit of time with our local auto-electrician who has told me that just because it fits and is the right sort, does not mean it will work! Another owner with a fully functioning light system on his Mk 1 827 Vitesse gave me the details of the relay fitted in his fuse box, so the auto electrician and I spent half an hour with all sorts of cross-reference books and could find no connection at all between that fitted in my friends car, and that fitted in the Mk 2. So it looks as though they are, in fact, different. The auto electrician also had a long chat with Hella, who do not recognise the part numbers on their product, and have suggested it might be special run manufactured for that model. Quite why Rover/Honda would have a relay specially made for their flagship model, escapes me!
We will keep plugging on, and maybe we will get it solved (a) before I kick the car's headlights in, or (b) my auto electrician commits suicide!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 am

Did you actually test the headlamp bulbs Adrian? I've known countless bulbs through my life that "look" ok but won't light up.

A few questions - first is the VIN number above or below 276672? Do you have the trip computer fitted in this one?
How many prongs on the dip/full relay? There should be 5 and the relay should be green.

Also this might be helpful from page 249 onwards :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zBScVRRSXM

Should take you to the Mk1c Electrical Section.

This also might help :

Relays 3 and 6 are the lighting relays, 6 should be the green one and so should the main lighting relay. Just to make it clear, that diagram of the underbonnet fusebox is for a Mk2 and while there are certain differences, the lighting appears to be the same. In other words, if you "borrow" relays from the correct place on your KV6, they should prove the point whether it's relays or not.
Assuming the bulbs are good and the switch you've bought is also good, if the relays and fuses are all good then it leaves the CCU and/or the bulb failure monitor in the VCM - the CCU on the Mk1 models is very different to the CCU on the Mk2s which means if it is the CCU at fault, replacing it with a good one from a Mk1 of the same age/VIN number range should get your lights going. That's easier said than done though as first, you have to find one!
The Mk1 CCU from what i understand is a glorified box of relays, rather than the mass of electronics in the Mk2 units. However i've not had one apart so i can't be sure - if your autoelectrician is the sort that can and will investigate/repair things like that, it may be worthwhile him opening it up and looking for obvious faults - dry joints etc.

I've got quite a few of the yellow and green relays if you need/want some, they are a fairly standard pin-out so should be freely available. Also the Legend used a different underbonnet fusebox (and electrical system in general) as they didn't want to use a system from the "Prince of Darkness" aka Lucas :

http://mez.co.uk/lucas.html

(Also check out the link to the Haynes manuals on that, it makes "interesting" reading! :wink: :P :lol: )

Sadly for you that's all very apt, hopefully you can find some humour in it though! Meanwhile we'll get to the bottom of your lighting problem, one way or another! ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for all that information. Comparing my car with one that has fully functioning headlamps, Relays 1 and 6 should be green Hella 4RD 003.520.40, all the others are 4RA Yellow relays. Taking the relays from my 825 (also with fully functioning lights)which are also green makes no difference to the problem, but these are Siemens YMB10032, which, according to our autoelectrician are not the same as the Hella relays. If, as you say, the CCUs are totally different then that could explain the difference in relays.
Regarding the headlight bulbs, these were checked with a multi-meter and then a 12v battery and worked perfectly.
If it is the CCu that is faulty, then we may have to admit defeat as finding another one in New Zealand would be slightly easier than finding rocking horse droppings, but not by much! I seem to remember the CCu is up in the drivers footwell and just reaching it will be a severe stress point for my 72 year old back.
I had a problem with a dry joint in the main ecu when I first got the car, and getting that checked out cost a great deal and they found nothing wrong with it, but when I changed it for a different ecu the car worked perfectly, so I am not keen on wasting my hard earned pension on going down that road again.
Lastly, the VIN number is 203130.
regards
Adrian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:28 pm

The Hella and Siemens relays are interchangeable Adrian - look at Pg39 of this pdf, "B1" is the diagram you're after, that's the socket side but you can see it matches what's on the relay you have there and it matches the Siemens relays i have sat here. Surprised your auto electrician didn't think to check the pin-outs, bit of a rookie error not doing that!

https://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/sit ... GB_HKG.pdf

Do you have a multimeter at all or even a voltmeter? If so and you have some wire i can teach you a simple but effective, slightly "Heath Robinson" method of checking you're getting a feed to the relay coils, if you're not that will point to the CCU.

If it is the CCU, we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it, even if you have to train a tame monkey to remove it to save your back!

Sounds like a Mk1b from the VIN number, fairly sure the wiring is near identical but without the VCM/Trip Computer which makes life simpler. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:42 am

Hi Dave,
Looks like we finally cracked it. It was our American friend who suggested checking out the "changeover unit" behind the main fuse board. This item has a number DRC8628, and when the electrician opened it up, he found two broken contacts. It took him a while using my Workshop Manual wiring diagram to work out what it was supposed to do. After a quick bit of soldering we had our headlamps restored to full working condition.
I am still puzzled as to what this "changeover unit" is and what it does, also why it is hidden away when all the other lighting relays are so obvious. Still, if we knew that, where would we be enjoying all the fun in trying to track down these problems? Maybe I will go out and buy a safe reliable dull Jap/Korean/Chinese car. I really am getting too old for all this excitement!
Thanks for all your help

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 am

If it's what i think it is, it changes from dipped beam to main beam and back again Adrian - if it failed you'd have no headlights at all, just sidelights.

Glad you've got it sorted though and as a bonus, your auto-electrician has learned something! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable