Coupe Drivers side Switchpack

Moderators: guru, SJG

hickmick
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Coupe Drivers side Switchpack

Post by hickmick » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:02 am

Has anyone got a coupe windows and mirror switchpack, mine is knackered, tried re-soldering but can't get it to work.
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Coupe Drivers side Switchpack

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 am

Have you got a part number Mike?

Also are you sure it's the switchpack at fault? For example, does the passenger window switch work ok? Not the passenger window switch on the drivers switchpack but the passenger door window switch.

Will any of the windows wind down with the drivers switchpack?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

hickmick
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by hickmick » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 am

Hi Dave,
yes I'm certain it's the switch pack, If I remove it and dismantle, then connect the board back to the car, I can make it work by flexing the circuit board. I've also tried a liberal spray of switch cleaner, but to no avail. I did replace this switch pack before, about 6 or 7 years ago I think. I will have to check on the part number.
Incidentally, the car got a new MOT on Friday, so is back o the road again. I have decided to do some more body restoration, and will be requiring replacement sills. I did get some back in 2010 from someone on another Rover forum, but the Xpart garage that fitted them, along with quite a lot of other work, did a right bodge up and I want to correct it. I did PM Simon yesterday, I believe he can supply coupe sills.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:53 am

I'm sure someone said a while back that the normal 4/5 door switch packs will work in a coupe if you're struggling to find one?

The rear switches are just blanked off in a coupe.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:57 am

Switch cleaner won't help Mike, the contacts are waterproofed at manufacture. With a bit of research from a fellow forum member i've continued that ande developed a repair for switchpacks using new switches (not the touch-sensitive membranes as originally used) and obviously this requires a bit of modification.
However it does sound as if you've missed a dry joint somewhere if flexing the board brings the switchpack back to life. It's easily done, i missed a dry joint on my drivers switchpack when i refurbished it, not a problem until night time as it's for one of the lighting feeds to the pack so only half of it lights up at best and then often only dimly. That said, none of them light up from the factory except for the bar between the rockers and the top for the mirror section.

I might have another Coupe switchpack in my stash but it's different to the 2-window saloon switchpack and not interchangeable on some years of production. Oddly on other years it is. :roll:

The casings are the same with the rear window sections blanked off on the Coupe/2-window saloon versions but i've had a 2-window saloon version that would work the front windows in my saloon but not my Coupe, the saloon (4-window) pack from my Sterling worked the Coupe windows which was handy to get them back up, i also found the original Coupe window switchpack wouldn't work the Sterling but occasionally worked the Coupe (it was faulty) and two different part numbers exist for 2-window saloon and Coupe switchpacks. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am

"I might have another Coupe switchpack in my stash but it's different to the 2-window saloon switchpack and not interchangeable on some years of production. Oddly on other years it is. "
Hi Dave, did you have a chance to see if you had a coupe switchpack in your stock of parts?
Mike
Incidentally, Simon has reserved his last pair of coupe sills for me, and I will collect them in a couple of weeks time. I look forward to meeting him. He lives in West Midlands, do you live anywhere near there?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:44 am

I've been waiting for a part number from you Mike so i can have a look.

As for being near to the west Midlands, depends what you call near! I'm about 3 hours from Simon although it took me about 4-5 hours because of various roadworks, diversions etc when i went there to get the sills for my old Coupe.

Where are you coming from/gong to when you collect the sills from Simon?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Dave,
Sorry, I forgot about the part number, it will have to wait until the weekend now as I am away on business for a couple of days.
I live in the New Forest, so about 3 hours drive to Twycross where Simon lives, where are you? I was just thinking that if you were anywhere near, which obviously you're not, I would look you up when I see Simon.
Cheers
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm more or less (give or take a bit) due east from Simon in West Suffolk and about 3 hours from the New Forest, depending which part of the forest you mean - it's a big old wood!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Dave,
according to Rimmers, the part number is YUD100780LOY or YUD100640LOY, but the one I have on the car, and this was replaced by me some years ago and bought on ebay, is YUD100380, which appears to be from a series 1 saloon with only front electric windows. Up until recently it has worked fine.
BTW I live near Hythe, so not quite in the New Forest, but right outside the border. I am about 2 miles from Beaulieu.
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:31 am

It's VIN number dependent Mike, before VIN 285050 it's the "640", after that it's the "780".

Hythe is pretty much in the New Forest by default, Southampton Water one side, New Forest the other with nothing in between. Many moons ago i worked at Langley and vaguely remember bits of it. Probably about 3 hours from where i am now.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 am

Just checked and my VIN number is 243149, so that would make it YUD100640LOY, but to be honest, the fact that the one from a series one saloon has been working, I guess any one will do.
My 93 year old Mum lives in Langley.
Mike

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 pm

I'd hazard a guess an early (pre 96) Mk2 drivers switchpack would work then, that said my Coupe was 234xxx if memory serves and i know one (think it was the later one from a 2 window saloon) didn't work but others did.

I'll have a hunt and see what i can find.

It's about 30 years give or take since i worked at Langley, hence only vague memories, it was a small industrial estate in some converted farm buildings as i recall.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

hickmick
Regular Visitor

Post by hickmick » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:58 am

Hi Dave,
Did you have any luck finding a switchpack? I've tried re-soldering mine, but I can't get it to work. I must admit it's not easy to get to the individual solder connections and as I have a bit of a shaky hand, it makes matters worse.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:37 pm

hickmick wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:58 am
Hi Dave,
Did you have any luck finding a switchpack? I've tried re-soldering mine, but I can't get it to work. I must admit it's not easy to get to the individual solder connections and as I have a bit of a shaky hand, it makes matters worse.
No luck as yet Mike, not in the usual location i keep the window switches anyway. I may have one lurking in another location, i'm going to look shortly as i'm also digging out my stash of CD changers.

It can get a bit fiddly soldering, especially with shaky paws. Suffer that myself from time to time for a few reasons, mainly my meds but also beginnings of carpal tunnel so i have to pick my days to conduct wars where the soldering iron, blowtorch or welding torch are the weapons of choice.

I'll let you know the results of my search this afternoon. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate