Rover 827 MK1 brake calipers

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark Rover
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rover 827 MK1 brake calipers

Post by Mark Rover » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:42 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1990 827 with dodgy calipers. A friend of mine mentioned they're impossible to get now, would anyone happen to know where i could get my hands on some?
And while im here, are the mk1 and mk2 calipers interchangeable?

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 827 MK1 brake calipers

Post by mercedade » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Rear calipers are shared with the MGF, so you'll be fine for parts there.

Front calipers I've always found readily available, as are rebuild kits (depending on your issue, of course).

So far as I know, the Mk1 827 had larger discs, but that just needed larger carriers - the calipers remain the same.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Rover 827 MK1 brake calipers

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:17 pm

The 285mm discs used by some Mk1 827s used different pads and calipers as well as different brackets, sometimes called caliper carriers.

First you need to know what size discs your car has, whether it's the front or back, what the problem is and several other things.

If it's the back ones and it recently had new pads in the back, you may get away with removing and then refitting the pads CORRECTLY - there is a set procedure to follow and if it's not followed EXACTLY the auto-adjusters will fail and the calipers will seize resulting in a small ring of contact between the pads and discs on the back, usually about halfway out from the centre.

Also, who diagnosed the dodgy calipers and on what evidence? :?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!