Corroded tranmission oil pipes (metal)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
michaeljohnz55
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Corroded tranmission oil pipes (metal)

Post by michaeljohnz55 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:08 pm

Hello All

I posted this a few days ago, however in the wrong place:

If anyone knows the part number for these or if they have a common partner etc in Honda or other models? Found this text from an older posting (Whitelion) which makes sense - mine is leaking oil like there's no tomorrow and I've had to leave it some 80 miles away to see if I can find the part (s) in the interim. i've checked rockauto but can't correlate the terminology exactly
'

Post by whitelion58 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:06 am
Yes, the small bore pipes that go into the rad - one under the sensor on drivers side, one low down on passenger side are indeed transmission cooling pipes. Bit of a hobby-horse of mine, since I believe all surviving 827's are at the point of rusting through and can easily empty the transmission over a fairly short journey. I have had two sets spontaneously break, and have replaced them on all four cars.

I'm not sure where to look on various websites, assuming that they are even available? Whilst they move oil from and to the gearbox (?) I'm not sure if they're classified as 'cooling' or gearbox',transmission' topics. I can have both removed and have copied (I'm in New Zealand) but I'd have to get a remote mechanic to do that, price approx. 250 quid and it's all a bit messy. So..parts it is if I can.. So again..any idea of parts numbers etc? Regards Michael

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Corroded tranmission oil pipes (metal)

Post by dollysprint » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 am

Hi Michael
Part numbers are CDU3192 Transmission to radiator, CDU3191 Radiator to transmission and the one that nearly always goes is CDU2202, this runs from radiator left header tank to radiator right header tank. If you know where it has gone you could cut back to good metal and replace it with correct bore armoured hose and jubilee clips. Top up the gearbox and get the car back home whilst you search for the parts. This is a temporary fix but it will work. If you get no joy finding the parts then I can probably get you a secondhand set, however getting them to New Zealand undamaged might be challenging, is the Embassy still a postal option?

Dave
Rover 800 Club
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

michaeljohnz55
Regular Visitor

Post by michaeljohnz55 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 pm

Hi Dave - thanks so much. Sometimes with such issues it's good for me to sit back and let my mind 'filter' which i've now been able to do. Real issue at the back of my mind is that the car might have had to be scrapped and/or is it worth spending money on what could be the start of real problems? In all of this I found one of the part numbers (CDU3192 Sterling Fixer) and your comment about the one that usually fails is CDU2202 is helpful: filling the reservoir with new oil (fairly clear), the oil dropping out was black and yesterday I turned the engine over and it's now a paler colour which suggests it's the pipe 'from'. My idea now is to have a (mobile) mechanic remove both types from an 827 I bought for parts, and then use those as templates for new ones to be made. I've 2 cars so it might be of value to have 2 sets made - assuming the cost is not huge. This will also 'spread the cost' and buy some time for me. Another issue is that with this particular car, a number of engine gaskets have to be replaced (e.g rocker) together with a new cambelt etc., so it's becoming a serious financial commitment. A previous owner did not service the car properly so it's been smoking for a while and commencing to show bad signs. In all this detail would it be a fair assumtion that 827's themselves are becoming 'rare'? I've been naieve in a way in that these cars should now be 'car show' vehicles? - I've been using it as an every-day driver to a degree and maybe I need to think differently in that this car (the same as my Coupe) now needs protecting and taken off the road. So..thanks so much for your help; with the info. I've gleaned the last few days I'll be able to make some informed decisions. Regards Michael

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:25 am

I've seen transmission cooler pipes made out of copper plumbing pipe
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

michaeljohnz55
Regular Visitor

Post by michaeljohnz55 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 am

Hello Richard. than k you and possibly that's an eventual solutuion. Challenge for me is to remove them and then having the car sit until I either get them copied or replacements - for the latter it's finding the correct part numbers. Dave (see above has helped tremendously) Regards Michael

michaeljohnz55
Regular Visitor

Post by michaeljohnz55 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:32 am

Hello again Dave. Thanks very much to your knowledge I've been able to track down 3 separate units that will cover the one that is corroded and i can replace all at the same time. Once I've got them it will allow me either to buy 3 more and/or have them copied (maybe in copper) for the Coupe which is the one i wish to 'protect' more. Sterling fixer in the US was my source.

Regards

Michael

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:18 pm

I replied to your other post yesterday Michael : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14990

Might be helpful for you.

Also something to be aware of is that the threads/fittings that join into the radiator end tanks are UNF and NOT metric - seems they carried over the ATF coolers from the SD1 range!

Also you could simply convert it to a separate ATF cooler and use the 10mm bore rubber hose supplied with it :

It's a Mishimoto uit, originally fitted to the Honda variant of our 827s before they used the "standard" radiator and gives much better cooling than the standard heat exchanger type cooler. Can't remember the exact size but can check for you, i've also done the same on my Volvo 760 (2.8) as it's a good safeguard against the heat exchanger splitting and coolant being forced into the ATF which will destroy the box.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

michaeljohnz55
Regular Visitor

Post by michaeljohnz55 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:44 am

Thanks Dave - saw your first reply and then checked here. If I have to as a last resort I'll go to 2 sources:
https://www.hydraulink.com
https://www.enzed.co.nz/West-Auckland

I'll get there :D