1990 827Si Auto

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: 1990 827Si Auto

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm

You're welcome there, had an erratic idle on my old 420 GSi (1993/K) but can't think what it was just now. I do know if the coolant level drops it can cause erratic idle on the 827 - there is a water channel in the throttle body and if the this is empty (due to low coolant) then it can cause rough running.

You'll probably also find the transmission gets smoother with use on yours, i know if mine hasn't done a lot for a while it tends to be lumpy until it settles a bit.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Often a fluid change can work wonders with these gearboxes too.
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Alex SBY wrote:Often a fluid change can work wonders with these gearboxes too.

I've heard that too - still saving up the money to do it so can't comment yet!

On previous cars that used Dexron i have changed the fluid many times and it has always improved matters so no reason why it shouldn't on the Hondamatic box too.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by funkkydrummer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Had a look at the dipstick in the gearbox yesterday and the fluid looks clean and smells ok but thats not to say it is ok.

Bought some Hondamatic oil from Chris when I was down so I will probably add it to my list of things to do!

Tackling the radio tonight however I need an adaptor for the arial plug as I'm fitting a MK2 cassette player in the absence of the original. Plus Chris has already fitted the ISO connector so it makes sense to use a newer one. Should still look more in keeping and original to those who don't know any better than a Kenwood or Pioneer unit etc.

Only problem is, out of 3 units I don't have any that have a working orange bulb so currently trawling the web for one!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A
2011(11) BMW X3 20d X-Drive (F25)
2012(61) Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi

Previous:
1990 (H) Rover 827Si Fastback
1999 (T) Rover 820Si Saloon

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor

Post by funkkydrummer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Ah, more simple than an orange bulb. All it is is a standard white bulb with an orange shrink wrap. Easy-peezy!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A

Previous:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:46 pm

funkkydrummer wrote:
Only problem is, out of 3 units I don't have any that have a working orange bulb so currently trawling the web for one!

Are you trying to find a bulb or a head unit with a working main display bulb?
Firstly, the main display only lights up with the power to the unit, not the lighting feed. Secondly, i have a spare orange bulb and thirdly, this might give you a few ideas.

As for the gearbox oil, it degenerates over time, so even if it looks, smeels and feels ok, the chances are if it hasn't been changed in the past 2-3 years, it needs doing. On that basis, mine is seriously overdue although in terms of distance since the last change it's still within limits.

PS - just seen your latest post about a normal bulb with an orange condom, that's what i meant by an orange bulb!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor

Post by funkkydrummer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Ive got a couple of Philips MK2 head units lying around but all the display bulbs are buggered. I've dismantled one of the bulbs though and it turns out its just a normal bulb which can be obtained from Maplin / RS for £1.50 and the legs bent round the screw fitment then all thats needed is the orange condom that i've rescued from the old gubbed bulb. Problem solved!!

On that basis I'm definitely going to add the gearbox oil to the list of things to do!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A

Previous:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Good idea on the trans fluid.

Just had a look on fleabay, Maplin and RS - couldn't find the right bulb on any of them! It's an odd-ball as it is 8mm dia (if memory serves) but i couldn't find any bigger than 5mm diameter.

If you have no better luck than me, PM me your address and i'll pop the spare one i have in the snail-mail for you.

I won't need it as i have converted my radio/head unit to blue LEDs as per the thread i linked to.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor

Post by funkkydrummer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm

I had a look at the post with the blue LED's. They look amazing!!

Unfortunately, I'll be doing well to get the outstanding list done so that will need to wait but I think I would actually consider doing that. Maybe if I get another MK2..........

Maplin bulb with original orange condom works well!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A

Previous:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Glad you found a bulb, perhaps i looked in the wrong section of Maplin or maybe just missed it!

Thanks for the compliment on the blue LEDs - you can of course use whatever colour you like but i like blue, find it easier on my eyes at night instead of the red/orange. Also most things being made these days use blue LEDs as it is considered a more "quality" colour. Well that's what they would have us believe anyway, probably just another excuse to add a tenner to the price tag of something lol!

Either way i was going to use green originally but i'm in the process of building some extra auxiliary LED bargraph instruments and the main colour in those will be green so wanted to avoid any confusion between the instruments and the illumination. The instruments were still at the planning stage when i did the illumination project but the first one (vacuum gauge) is more or less ready to fit, once i have a suitable box/enclosure for it.
The other instruments will be an ammeter, voltmeter and air/fuel ratio meters for the front and rear Lambda sensors.
I'll probably do a write up of fitting the LED instruments at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor

Post by funkkydrummer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Well, put the old girl through it's annual test today and guess what............clean sheet! Not even an advisory!

Remarkable for a 22 year old car I'd say! I went over it with a fine tooth comb before putting it through its test and it's almost like new underneath! All it needed was two upper ball joints and arms and the hand brake adjusting and it flew through. Guy at the test centre was surprised how good the handbrake was; 22% efficiency! My MK2 only managed a borderline 16% pass last year!

Testament to the former owners care and attention I reckon!!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A

Previous:

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:25 am

Excellent stuff! I'd like to say it was down to all the work I did to it, but, erm... :lol:
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:01 pm

funkkydrummer wrote:Well, put the old girl through it's annual test today and guess what............clean sheet! Not even an advisory!

Remarkable for a 22 year old car I'd say! I went over it with a fine tooth comb before putting it through its test and it's almost like new underneath! All it needed was two upper ball joints and arms and the hand brake adjusting and it flew through. Guy at the test centre was surprised how good the handbrake was; 22% efficiency! My MK2 only managed a borderline 16% pass last year!

Well done! Bit concerned about the handbrake needing adjustment though for the simple reason they normally self-adjust. Had a fail about 3 years ago on rear brakes, handbrake was fine (24% i think) but service brake was only about 4% or something. A previous owner had over-adjusted the handbrake so the auto-adjusters had no room to operate (or possibly fitted new pads and adjusted the handbrake to take up the slack before the auto-adjusters) so they stopped working.
I was lucky, caught them just before they seized! Backed off the handbrake adjustment, wound the auto adjusters back in, refitted the pads and hit the brake pedal a few times until the auto-adjusters kicked in
then did the handbrake. Three years on, still working fine!

Or was yours just a bit of cable stretch?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor

Post by funkkydrummer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
funkkydrummer wrote:Well, put the old girl through it's annual test today and guess what............clean sheet! Not even an advisory!

Well done! Bit concerned about the handbrake needing adjustment though for the simple reason they normally self-adjust. Had a fail about 3 years ago on rear brakes, handbrake was fine (24% i think) but service brake was only about 4% or something. A previous owner had over-adjusted the handbrake so the auto-adjusters had no room to operate (or possibly fitted new pads and adjusted the handbrake to take up the slack before the auto-adjusters) so they stopped working.
I was lucky, caught them just before they seized! Backed off the handbrake adjustment, wound the auto adjusters back in, refitted the pads and hit the brake pedal a few times until the auto-adjusters kicked in
then did the handbrake. Three years on, still working fine!

Or was yours just a bit of cable stretch?
My old man seemed to have trouble getting his 800's through MOT's because of poor handbrake performance and my MK2 failed due to poor handbrake. All down to our bad luck I think lol!

Was going to change pads before MOT but took them out and cleaned them up and decided there was still a bit of running left in them so put some copper grease on the backing plate, cleaned up the calipers, wound the cylinder back in and stuck the old pads back in again. Took up the slack with the foot pedal then tried the handbrake. It run through on the first click on a steep hill and the second click held it. Having been criticised for excessive travel etc before I took up the cable slack from within the cab until the brake begun to bind then backed it off a few turns. Levers on the calipers are now around 3mm frm the stops with the brake off (which I believe is the recommended gap) and the handbrake perfoms well on the first click.

:D
Alex SBY wrote:Excellent stuff! I'd like to say it was down to all the work I did to it, but, erm... :lol:
You and Chris must have done something right - it passed it's test and is in good condition for it's age!
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A

Previous:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Fair enough, glad it works for you, as you still have the clearance you should be fine but it has become a "pet hate" of mine as both my 420 (before this Sterling) and now the first MoT i took this one to (about 3 years back) had the same problem with the rear brakes. Both had brake-work done by non-Rover garages prior to my ownership so makes you wonder!
Surprised you've had criticism about excessive travel on the handbrake though, the first notch/click on mine is roughly where most other handbrakes (in other cars i've had) would be on 4-5 clicks - there's a big gap between the rest position and the first notch on 800s it seems.
As an aside on brakes in general, about 2 years back i had the comment that the service brakes were low all round. A few months later (just before i had planned to change the fluid) the master cylinder went. Looking at the state of the fluid that came out, i wonder if that caused the failure of the M/C but was almost certain it was the cause of reduced brake performance.
This was born out at the next MoT when the tester commented that the service brakes were better this year as by then it had a replacement M/C and almost 5L of new fluid through/in it!

Says something about making sure fluid is renewed periodically i think!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate