1998 (S) 45,000 Mile Sterling Auto -SOLD PLEASE LOCK /DELETE

Moderators: guru, SJG

Russell820i
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Russell820i » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:27 am

Alex 'Wedge' wrote:Russ. Don't sell it. Seriously.

£600 is way undervaluing that car, which is gorgeous. :)
Cheers Alex, its got your name on it, nice bargain for you :D In all honesty if someone came and gave me £500 they could take it away and enjoy it, just need to shift focus to this house as its going to consume an alarming amount of ££ and every little helps.

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alex SBY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh good lord, this is tempting.

Let me think about this. :)
One or two 800s...

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Alex 'Wedge' wrote:Oh good lord, this is tempting.

Let me think about this. :)
Thanks mate, you have first refusal on this. You wont be disapointed thats for sure!!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Russ, I really wish that I was able to buy this off you.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Russ, I really wish that I was able to buy this off you.
Likewise mate :-) Just want her to go to a good home and certainly not off forum if i can help it! Id rather sell it slightly cheaper on forum safe in the knowledge it will be looked after :-)

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Russ I am so SO tempted by this. Were geography not as it is, and my commitments until Christmas not as they are I'd be PMing you now to say "yes please" right now.

I'll give this some very serious thought, work things out and let you know. The car is stunning and is a credit to you.
One or two 800s...

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks mate, very much appreciated mate :-) I mean storing the car in the garage indeffinately for you wouldnt be an issue as its just sitting in there doing nothing anyway so its not as though im physically needing it out of the garage, could easily sit there until next year for collection, im just needing the wonga to make the most out of house deposit land! Dam you no 100% mortages anymore lol.

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks Russ, that's very kind of you both to offer first refusal and to store it for me. :)

I'll be in touch mate very soon via PM.
One or two 800s...

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 am

Good morning Russell.

My comment was meant as a "backhanded" compliment, as I've got three nightfire reds now and made the BIG mistake of showing my wife your excellent photo's.

I'm now faced with having to get them all to look like yours !!

"Free delivery", I live 450 miles away, lol.

Best regards

Ian

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:25 am

Russell, what ever happens with your car it is a credit to you. Good luck with the sale and with the house purchase.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Cheers Ian and Simon much appreciated - oh dear hopefully ive not given you too much work Ian mate lol.

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Russell,

What you have there is quite a rare thing. A nice late example with low mileage in unmolested condition, in the ownership of someone who clearly takes great care of it and respects its originality and puts the work in to keep it that way (you, in other words). This situation does not come up very often.

Compared to getting a fixer upper later, well I have had both cases over the years, getting good uns that have been kept well and then keeping them that way (eg my v reg), and the other way which is finding a less well kept example with less pedigree and then firing the money cannon at it until it is respectable again (my red Mk1).

The first way, though not yet impossible, is getting harder to get into, as good minters are getting progressively thinner on the ground to buy. The two tone Mk1 on eBay right now would be a great one to go for but it is more the exception than the rule, so you cannot rely on having the opportunity in the future. The second way (fixing up) is time consuming, becomes a less and less assured outcome as time goes by (parts getting scarcer), and costs a LOT more to achieve than the first way.

Using my own hindsight from my own experiences, and lots of things I would have done differently had I known more at the time, I would definately say you should SORN the car to freeze the running costs, wrap it up in that nice garage of yours, and find the 600 smackers some other way. You and that car are made for each other, and you clearly love it in a way that I recognise in myself towards my cars (nothing kinky mind! :wink: ). Seriously though, I dont see that very often, and it comes across very strongly with you.

In the future you may well be able to do the two car thing and have a mk1 AND this mk2 (now who'd be fool enough to do that, I wonder?). It becomes affordable in time... The stock that is out there, and where it is going, will make the nice situation you have with your current car very difficult and expensive to replicate in the future. I have learnt this the hard way with 2 cars I have had in the past that I bitterly regret letting go now, and this situation you face looks eerily similar to me.

Take it from one who has been there... :wink:

Good luck with your decision.
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I can only reiterate what Mark just said. I look after my Green Saloon I am borrowing, but your red one is very special.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Russ - everyone is saying the same thing and i'm sure they can't all be wrong!

I can appreciate the temptation to keep the car on the road rather than garaging it while you raise the £600 and your need to focus on getting a house but in all honesty it makes a lot more sense to "mothball" it for a while to give you time to sort something more permanent. I've had many cars in the past that i've let go for whatever reason, usually time or parts related and regretted ever since. Just reading how you write about your car (without seeing the pics which enforce it) tells me that you will regret until your dieing day if you sell it, even if you were lucky enough to buy it back at a later date it wouldn't be the same and trust me, even if it had been looked after, it wouldn't be to your standard and that would hurt too (been there, done that, T-shirt etc!).

I think the only person (Alex) who has shown any genuine interest is the only person who would look after it as it should be looked after and i see you've already given him first refusal but if you can find another way of raising that money, keep the car! Even if you have to build a garage onto your house later which could widen your buying options.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!