Mk1B Sterling Manual

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1B Sterling Manual

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

As you are all aware I've collected a number of these cars this year and I'm getting to the stage where things are a bit crowded. For the right sum I could be persuaded to part with this car - it's not seen much use since I bought it and it's silly having it sat around unused. I'm also getting a collection of 1986/7 cars, and that's really what I'm keen to focus on.

Would anyone be interested in this car? I am purely gauging opinion at this stage.
One or two 800s...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

That is lovely - what's the asking price, dare I ask?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:02 pm

I'd be looking for around £1600, Rich. I had a few hundred quids worth of work done to it after purchase (new clutch fitted, wheel bearing done, plus other things that have totally escaped my mind). Everything works on this car except the a/c. I had it regassed, it lasted a few months and stopped working again sadly. The body is good, roof has some very unusual 'bubbles' in a few places but nothing horrendous. It looks every bit as good as it does in the pictures.

I'd only sell this at the right price and to an enthusiast. I'm not even sure I want rid tbh but thought I'd test the water.
One or two 800s...

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Just can't keep em more than 5 minutes can you Alex? :roll:

An Almost as good twin of DIL and it's still not good enough to keep?

Well folk's, watch out for Alex' next request for "I just can't live without a Mk1 B Sterling" I shouldn't have sold car's A,B,C,D...........

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 pm

MG Mal wrote:Just can't keep em more than 5 minutes can you Alex? :roll:

An Almost as good twin of DIL and it's still not good enough to keep?

Well folk's, watch out for Alex' next request for "I just can't live without a Mk1 B Sterling" I shouldn't have sold car's A,B,C,D...........

'Tis true. You've had some of the best cars from members on this forum, Alex - some from me - only to sell very shortly afterwards and then bemoan the fact you no longer have them. Then try to buy replicas. And then sell them. Now I know that I have had 200 of these Rover 800s in my ownership over 25 years so it could be argued I have done the same given that I now only have about 20. And we're all free to do with our own cars as we wish. But I will add that pretty well all my decent and rare cars have gone to people in many parts of the World (some in the UK and some to Germany, America and Ireland) who are cherishing them but those that I sold to you, their fate is now unknown. That's a bit sad and not really "collecting". I'm not sure what it is except a touch confuddling. :? No offence intended.
No longer an 800 owner!

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Thank you for the insightful comments. I'm not sure what part of "gauging opinion" and how I'd made it obvious earlier that I would only sell this to an enthusiast wasn't clear.

Having some sort of public berating like this I find rather off and frankly why I have to justify my position to anyone I'm unsure. However, since purchasing this car I've acquired some highly immaculate early cars which I do not intend on selling. I've also only got finite space as I'm shortly about to acquire two more Mk1s and something has to give.

I thought offering an interesting car to enthusiasts here would be wise. Clearly that was a spectacular error of judgement and sarcastic comments are not necessary.

As to the cars I sold beforehand, there were personal reasons I had a clear out before. I would elaborate further but that's frankly none of your concern. I would say that I regretted having to do it but to be sarcastic and judgemental over what I had to do at that time I find quite sad, particularly from people I know well. Incidentally as far as I know all the ex-VTB/Mal cars I sold went to enthusiasts - I'm not that much of a complete idiot.

Anyway this has made me reconsider my position. I'll more than likely keep this lovely car.
One or two 800s...

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 pm

[quote="Alex SBY"]
... since purchasing this car I've acquired some highly immaculate early cars which I do not intend on selling... [quote]

You will.

And no offence was intended either from myself or Mal, I am sure. It's just that there are trends that you seem to follow. Which is caused by, as you say, none of our business. I'm glad you're likely to keep the burgundy G reg, at least for the time being. You'd only regret selling it.
No longer an 800 owner!

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 pm

No. I won't sell these early cars.

I'm glad no offence was intended but I do find it strange why people see fit to judge my actions and decisions and seem so sure what I'm likely to do. It's flattering really but I don't see any other member of this board subject to such scrutiny.

Anyway, enough said I think.
One or two 800s...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 am

Car ownership is an emotional activity, rather thana logical one, at least for enthusiasts. Buying and selling is done with the heart, not the head, and so leads to decisions that may not appear logical to others. Sold my 827 coupe because it was BRG and I didn't like that colour on that car - so instead I went back to my Nightfire Sterling fastback and whilst he styling is (arguably) less attractive I felt happier with that car.

Same with my Jeeps - the manual Cherokee is much more capable than my automatic Grand Cherokee - but he latter is the car I want to keep for the longer term. Also, only a nutter would buy an old Jaguar here - so I did!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm sure a lot of drivers in their euro friendly boxes of all shapes and kinds must think special people like us are not right, driving gas guzzling, creaky old barges, if I may be so bold! Each to their own, I say.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage