Dollysprints buyers guide to rover 800

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dollysprints buyers guide to rover 800

Post by rovercoup » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 pm

What a riveting read and one that I cant wait for the next instalment. Dave you certainly do have a talent for holding ones attention. If this article is a direct result of the weather we are having, let it continue to rain until you have finished.
Informative, concise and like any good read leaves you wanting more.

thank you to our very own J.R Hartley.

I have posted this comment on a new thread so as not to spoil Dave's thread.......Keep it coming Dave....... :D
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dollysprints buyers guide to rover 800

Post by dollysprint » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks Steve, its more medical than meteorlogical that finds me with time on my hands but its something I've been meaning to do for a long time. Wish I was a bit better on a computer though with piccys, maybe some intelligent person can do something with it as time goes on. Probably going to have to invade Mr Brad at some point to pick his brains about specs but thats for the future.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 am

Nice work Mr Dave.

On the subject of XX or Mark 1 A B C etc, it's never been that clear to me which is which and about which model each refers. There were so many alterations at different dates there should really also be a Mark 1 D E F G and H.

I have details of every model spec, date and detail so I shall put something together in a format which is easy t read. Lord Sterling did this a couple of years back but it needs tidying.

Cheers
No longer an 800 owner!

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks Bradders ole buddy, was going too come up but not suppose to drive at the moment. The idea was to scan parts of the brochures to show differences as the range progressed, hockey stick door releases, vented carpet fillets, early/late air con controls, S4, dials, extra under bonnet rubber seals, various wheels ect ect you get my drift. But also what I have already written would be good with pictures of Stokes and Edwardes, Acclaim and 200 ect ect. Its all very much work in progress and a long way from finished. Unfortunately I know my way round an engine bay better than this box of tricks I'm typing on but I foresee this project passing through several peoples hands to be able to give it a more professional look. The database also has to be added in some format at some point.

On a wider note if anyone has anything they would like to add, or have added then please say so. I have condensed the BL years enormously as I was only trying to get at why the Honda tie up came about.

Dave

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks Dave for all your hard work. very enjoyable and informative.
Looking forward to the next instalment
Kate :D

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Looking good, but... can a moderator shrink the pictures please? Ta.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Are the rest of the pictures available as I can't see past DEV1 ? This is the first time I've read it.

Dave, this needs to be in print. How about a 70 part mag with a piece by piece model to assemble ?
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm

BlueRover wrote:Dave, this needs to be in print. How about a 70 part mag with a piece by piece model to assemble ?
Yeah, Part 1 available now only 99p (then 69x £4.99-but we won't tell you that bit). :lol:
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 pm

That's still cheaper than a model of Vettel's F1 car at £800.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 pm

BlueRover wrote:Are the rest of the pictures available as I can't see past DEV1 ? This is the first time I've read it.

Dave, this needs to be in print. How about a 70 part mag with a piece by piece model to assemble ?
I have all the pictures that still need to be inserted its just a matter of me getting round to it, takes me chuffing ages :oops:
There are also a raft of pictures that I cant fit in the script but need to go on. As for the size they all looked the same in my pictures file, perhaps some i.t. bod can tell me why they re-sized, as I have absolutely no idea.
I will then add the definitive model list and changes followed by the buyers guide and then hopefully that will lead to the database, which will need to be signed into for members only. I have to talk to some of our more intelligent members for some of this to happen but its work in progress.
Finally the last thing I'd like to do is a "How too" file of some sort using personal knowledge and the "How too's" written by others that are already on this site but perhaps fragmented in various threads.
Its been suggested, and probably quite rightly, that this shouldn't be a thread at all but a knowledge base on the Home page for potential new members to see without searching the Forum for this type of information.
Like the XX project, this site owes its existance to a few dedicated individuals and one Harold Musgrove, or as he's better known Richard Moss. I'm just an assembly worker sticking the badge on at the end of the producton line. Perhaps members feedback would be helpful along with any info you have that would contribute to the story in any way.
Talking of contributions I am now looking for pictures of cars from each production year and in particular pictures of differences as the model progressed, any help would be appreciated.

Dave