noise from power steering

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: noise from power steering

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Power steering pumps do fail occasionally - either from mucky fluid, age, manufacturing tolerances etc.

How many miles has the car done?

Personally I've never had to replace any (even though recently my 820 lost too much fluid and I drove ~15 miles before topping it up with overpriced fluid from a petrol station! It was cavitating away merrily :shock: )

Simple job to replace and they are very simple to bleed. While you're in there a new water pump won't hurt either :-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Captain Sensible » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Like i said above, try a "soft change" of the fluid first- you'll be surprised!
I'm going to try it for fun! I wonder why I can buy a massive syringe without arousing suspicion? :lol:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:Like i said above, try a "soft change" of the fluid first- you'll be surprised!
I'm going to try it for fun! I wonder why I can buy a massive syringe without arousing suspicion? :lol:
Amazon Sam - it won't break the bank either! You may have to find a different bit of tube though, mine arrived with internal "flutes" so didn't seal on the end of the syringe properly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LEEOVW

Then you just need a big tub of Dexron II-D to refill it with.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 am

Handy! Isn't Dextron II-D the same stuff that goes in the autobox??

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 am

You're right, Dexron II-D is what goes in the auto gearbox in the 2.0 models - there's no "t" in it though, the only "T" around should be in your mug while doing an ATF change! :wink: :lol: One particular supplier insists on listing it with a "t" next to a photo of the product clearly NOT showing a "t". :shock: :roll:

Rant over! :D You'll be amazed how much smoother and quieter the steering is and often that it becomes a little lighter at parking speeds too. Also you'll be amazed how dirty the fluid is after all the years, especially if it's never been changed. Similar goes for the gearbox as well if you fancy getting energetic, spanner-wielding and changing the ATF. :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:59 am

I've got plenty of the correct fluid sitting around, as I've just topped up the ATF (no tea involved!). Because I'm weird I always buy in bulk...So I've got Dextron to burn.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Dexron makes a hell of a pong if you burn it! :evil: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :evil:

I buy in bulk as well, got something like 20L of 10W40 semi-synth for oil changes, about 13.5L (3 gallons) of Carlube ATF-U (the Z-1 compatible ATF for Honda auto boxes and Jeeps too :wink: ) which will be enough for 4 part changes and several oil filters and so on. You never know when you will need it, if it's something you use for routine maintenance it always pays to keep a bit in reserve. That said i've just exhausted my antifreeze - bought a 20L tub of it from EuroCarParts for about £18, less than half the price of buying 2x 5L tubs of the same!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:13 pm

The Fastback I had for a bit burnt ATF like it was going out of fashion, that did stink! Routine maintenance? People around here think it's weird if you lift the bonnet to check levels. Somebody over the road with a A4 TDIGTDGTI S-line (I pronounce it "Sline" to wind him up) asked me "Is it broken?"

Me: "No."

Sline man: "Then why are you lifting the bonnet mate?"

Oh dear...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:04 pm

That's why you see more Audis broken down than Rovers! :wink: :lol:

You should have asked him how many phone calls he gets asking if he's been mis-sold TDI? :lol:

I suppose when his engine siezes because he's never checked the oil, you could always do the right thing...............................

.......................................... and leave him there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue May 17, 2016 7:35 pm

That's very wrong, Dave..........

You should laugh at them instead.