Manufacture dates

Magazine articles, history etc.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BlueRover
Rover Guru

Manufacture dates

Post by BlueRover » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:07 am

Hi everyone, I hope you're all ok.

It's been a while since I posted but I do check back in now and again.
I notice Chris has another 800 too, can't get rid of the cars once they're in your blood eh?
Anyway, my 820 turbo is 30 years old this year and I want to find out when she was made.
The registration date is December 1991 but obviously she was made before that and it got me wondering of all these models were made in a single production run due to them being a limited edition.
I do know someone on here has a lot of information about production numbers/dates etc but I can't for the life of me remember who it is. Any info would be good.
I think I'm going to pop back more often now.

Cheers.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Manufacture dates

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:40 pm

I believe you're thinking of Dollysprint Dave, he has access to some records that would give the build date or something close to it from certain info from you about the car - best to PM that though so the less scrupulous don't use your cars details to create a clone!

I know Janspeed did the turbo mods on the 820i to create the 820 Turbo, Tickford did the bodykit and interior upgrades and never been sure if it was Rover or Janspeed that did the suspension tweaks or a combined effort or someone else entirely.

Yours must have been one of the last registered regardless of build date though. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:25 am

Thanks for the info, it does ring a bell with the name. I also have one of the last Mk1's which I bought off my Dad (also reg'd Dec 1991), that's a white 820i with the TWR kit, 16" Speedline alloys and ruched leather. It's a base model with manual rear windows, joystick door mirrors and manual sunroof. This does need a lot of work as it's been stood for over 20 years on my drive but she's in remarkably good condition although a bit green in places.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:10 am

You're welcome, your white one sounds as if it may be a run-out model where manufacturers would throw certain optional extras at the "last off the line" models (usually base spec) to entice unsuspecting owners to buy them asbeing better value than other models that were still selling. Would be an interesting model to research and restore to original spec.

Again i would expect Dave could probably help with the original build date and spec if so.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable