Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm in way too deep now. :D

Including tyres and servicing I've spent around £3K on it in 3 years.

It has all been aged related though. I reckon if I'd bought one with 60-70K on it I would have escaped big bills for a while. The flip side is these things have taken 100K miles + to wear out so maybe it'll last another 100K. We shall see.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am

That's a fair whack Chris but i daresay a car with only 60k on it would have cost you that much more in the first place. As you've had it 3 years you would have probably been coming up to the same point now so would have just been delaying the inevitable - end result you've probably still saved yourself £3k by buying the car with higher mileage to start with and not having to pay a premium to buy it or suffer the depreciation. Swings and roundabouts! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 pm

It is definitely but it's made me come to the conclusion there's only two types of car to buy.

Very cheap or nearly new. I won't be buying a car again in the middle ground. We're planning to swap my other halfs Astra early next year and all being well whatever replaces it won't be more than 2 years old. Then only keep it for a maximum of 4 or 5 years and start again like most people seem to be doing these days.

In theory it shouldn't need much if anything in that time aside servicing. Reliability and hassle free is what I want and it seems that's not cheap.
Chris

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 am

Good luck with your holiday trip Chris, and dont forget to keep a record of fuel used to see how it compares with the car computer readings.

Have to agree with your view on cars. Buy nearly new or very cheap, that has been my experience.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am

What Nick said Chris ^^^^^ and with cars, apart from a very few, almost all my cars have been very cheap. My current Volvo is a good example, £175 with a few months MoT and a few known faults at purchase.

There were quite a few more unknown faults too! However, once all is said and done, i was able to source the parts relatively cheaply (mostly NOS on fleabay) so all in (apart from MoT fees) it stands me in at about £500.

When you consider that it has new springs and shocks all round, new front discs/pads, rear pads, ball joints, drop links and will shortly have a new front half of the exhaust system, gearbox mount and propshaft centre bearing there's not much concern over the rest of it. All of these are known "wearing items" but equally well known for putting people off buying a particular car.
Not that i'm thinking of selling it of course - that's why the various things have been done. If i was though, thanks to rarity of that particular model and a general upturn in values it's probably worth in the region of £2500-3000 now with those things done.
Others would have probably done the bare minimum for an MoT and run it into the ground at £175 but with the work all done, it's got a new lease of life, hopefully for another 28 years! Should hopefully give me a good few years trouble free service now.

Out of the expensive stuff i've owned, one car i bought came with 18 months MoT :shock: yes, really! It was 2.5 years old at purchase and the deal was a new MoT on purchase. The dealer actually suggested to me to bring it back in 6 months and they'd MoT it for me free apart from wearing items such as tyres, pads etc. which they did.
However i had several "niggly" faults on that car that were repaired under warranty but in common with a few other 3-5 year old cars i've had, it was getting to the point of needing lots of money thrown at it to keep it right.

My conclusion is unless you really want that newish registration plate, go for the "bangernomics" car instead. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm

In days gone by I would have agreed on sticking to cheaper stuff.

These days I just want the car to work and I'm not prepared to be spending hours repairing it or keeping it maintained. Plus 'er indoors' wants the new tech that new cars have these days.
Chris

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 pm

I have spent all day today trying to get my windscreen washer to work. Fitted the new pump, connected the hoses, filled the reservoir with fresh wash fluid, and expected everything to work. The wipers work but still no wash action. I have now come to the view that it may be the column switch. I was able to un-clip the top shroud. I had a go at removing the bottom half but could not remove it. The Haynes manual says there are 3 screws holding it I located two (one either side) but the third screw is hiding from me. A direct connection from the battery allows the motor to run. I will try again tomorrow.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Unless the whole circuit has been changed from last time i saw one, the fuse shouldn't be at fault but check the fuses anyway Nick.
It's entirely possible that if the old pump motor put a strain on the switch and burned the contacts somewhat.

As for the third screw - does your car still have the "traditional" bonnet pull? Usually found under the steering column shroud.
Pull the bonnet pull down and the third screw should be revealed. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Thank you Dave. My car does not have a bonnet pull. Instead, you move the Ford logo aside, insert the key, turn to the right, then to the left to release the safety catch then lift.

Been having a hard think about this. A rear wash/wipe is not part of the test and I never use that feature anyway. My pump runs. Why dont I a take a feed from the wash/wipe fuse 94 to a push button switch on the dash then on to the pump and an earth from the pump. This should give me working washers again. I can then take the old switch off at my leisure or try to source a known good switch from a breaker. Trying to track down the real cause of the problem is not easy, as I have to work alone. An internet poster reckons that to have the switch replaced by a Ford dealer is around £80 and there is no guarantee that the switch is the problem.

I will have to sleep on this and try again tomorrow.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

That idea should work Nick - also worth checking fuse F22 - as far as i can tell from that diagram (if i can call it such! :shock: ) that provides the feed for not only the headlamp washers but also the screenwashers.

However that diagram isn't clear to say the least, appears to have been drawn while the draftsman was stoned out of his box on some kind of hallucinogenic drugs and has too many wash/wipe switches for comfort! I'm surprised there aren't any pnik elephants drawn on it! :shock:

What you will need to do if you go down the route of an extra push button is either label it or draw a small diagram showing where it is for the MoT tester. I found this out when i had a Hyundai Stellar a few decades ago. The horn push was missing from the steering wheel so i rigged a flick switch (on/spring-return to off) in the centre console and wired it up to a set of cunningly hidden air horns.
Tester said it was going to fail because the horn push didn't exist so i explained the flick switch. He found it, deafened himself and (still looking shocked!) said "They work then!" :lol:
Afterwards he explained to me i should have drawn a diagram or labeled the switch.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks Dave, will check out fuse 22 in the light of dawn. My car does not have headlamp wipe/wash. I wonder if this problem could be caused by a relay? I am only familiar with the 4 pin type. Will also check tomorrow that I have pushed the plug into the motor far enough to make a good contact.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am

It could possibly be caused by a relay Nick. The diagram seems to suggest whether you have headlamp wash or not (looks like pressure wash only, some cars have "hidden" headlamp washer jets that retract into the bumper when not in use and "pop up" when they are) the feed from F22 goes to the socket for the headlamp washer relay and then onto the switch for the screenwash.

Could be worth checking the plug for burned connectors where it pushed onto the old washer pump.

My Sterling is one of a rare breed that didn't have programmed wash/wipe, only made for 6 months with a dedicated CCU to take this into account. I pull the screenwash/wiper stalk and water lands on the screen - no wiper action! Some earlier cars had a "switchable" function so the wipe could be switched off by a lot of button pushing on the dimmer switch and other things to turn the feature on and off in the CCU which i tried until i discovered mine wasn't meant to have that feature!

Then, when i had a problem with the CCU, the temptation was to simply get another 827 CCU and if it had programmed wash/wipe then so be it. As luck had it, when i started looking for a replacement CCU the correct one for mine came up (no programmed wash/wipe) so it was obviously meant to stay that way!

Fingers crossed you can get yours sorted easily! ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks Dave, I did wonder about the headlamp washer relay. Turns out it is a blue one R10 in the engine bay fuse box. Looks like it is a five pin relay, according to the diagram.. I only have 4 pins relays at home as I have never needed to replace one. Not sure if it is a mini one or not as it is tipping down with rain again today so cant work outside at the mo. I hope Chris is enjoying his holiday in Devon, despite the weather.

Getting the washer pump plug out from underneath the bumper is near impossible. as there is barely enough slack in the wires to connect it. More Ford cost cutting. I did spray the plug with contact cleaner before I reconnected it.

I checked the engine bay fuse 22 yesterday and it was good. R10 is right next to it. The fuse box had lots of dust inside it. .Sounds like you were very fortunate to find the exact CCU that you needed for your Sterling. Strange how things sometimes fall into place

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Just remembered what I really wanted to ask you Dave. The estate washer piump has two water outputs. It runs in either direction, according to whether its the front screen needs washing or the rear screen. What is it that controls pump direction. where is the control unit for this, and how does it reverse the polarity to the motor? Any ideas please?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 pm

zcar12 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 pm
Just remembered what I really wanted to ask you Dave. The estate washer piump has two water outputs. It runs in either direction, according to whether its the front screen needs washing or the rear screen. What is it that controls pump direction. where is the control unit for this, and how does it reverse the polarity to the motor? Any ideas please?
Can i pass on my starter for 10 please Nick? :shock: :lol:

The simple way i can see of doing it is have the pump running in a single direction with a gate valve/diverter valve to select front or rear screen wash according to the selected washer position.

However that doesn't necessarily mean i'm right as i don't know. I'd hazard a guess it's something along the lines of a CANbus system :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

If that's a bit heavy going for you (it was for me but i've just eaten! :lol: Joking aside it would be heavy going for me at any time! :shock: ) then in simple terms it's some sort of computer controlled system that tells the pump when and where to squirt.
Whether the pump is CANbus controlled/capable or not i really don't know. In all honesty it's not something i've come across so i can't answer for sure, just make edumacated guesses.

Oh yeah - the first time i came across the key-operated bonnet release behind the blue oval it confused the bejeeeesus out of me! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate