The other Lodein's cars

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The other Lodein's cars

Post by Manalishi » Sun May 28, 2023 6:19 pm

Omg. Garage heaven. 😍
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Sun May 28, 2023 6:58 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:26 am
Fastback wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:31 am

Was the Mini the 'Support Vehicle'? :wink:
I suspect the Mini carried a few Jerry cans of petrol, just in case............

Maybe it was there to ferry the drivers from where the cars were parked to a venue for lunch or similar or perhaps a last minute substitution for the missing XJ-S? :|
You are not nice to Jaguar and Jaguar drivers!!!

The Mini belongs to one of my best friends who helped me make the road book.

As he knows that I like "old" cars, and more particularly "old" English cars, he asked me to help him buy it as a surprise for his wife's 50th birthday.

Clearly, I knew nothing about Minis, I only drove one 33 years ago and that was it !!! But I had a lot of books who spoke about the buyinf of a Mini, I went in Mini's forums to learn, and now I know a little the Mini.

So we saw different Mini, and the best was this one.
It is a Mini 1000 made in 1982 so it is a Mk IV, but as it is a Mini e (Or City in another markets) you have a lot of attributes of a MkIII, (rear lights without reversing lights, 10'' wheel, 4 drums...). The car has not a lot of kilometers (120 000 km) it have no rust (The car was repainted, and we have pictures of the preparation, and it came from the south of France) the saddlery is new, the motor was fully revised...

Some pictures when we saw it :

and when he offered it just a week before the meeting

His wife were very very surprised and happy. And after the meeting she love it again more...

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun May 28, 2023 8:59 pm

Love the XJ-S, beautiful.

As is the impressive storage facility. :mrgreen:
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun May 28, 2023 9:18 pm

Lodein wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:58 pm

and when he offered it just a week before the meeting

His wife were very very surprised and happy. And after the meeting she love it again more...

Lodein
Stephan - check my signature! I have a Jaguar and drive it! :wink: :D

As for the Mini, it does look nice, it reminds me of a girlfriend ~33 years ago, she had a Mini Clubman that her dad had rebuilt (accident damage) and one Christmas the three of us resprayed it black. That was a 1970 car with the 1098cc engine.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon May 29, 2023 6:50 am

Fastback wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 8:59 pm
Love the XJ-S, beautiful.
Some photos for you at the Château de Breteuil

I love the E-Type, but only the Mk 1, and I much prefer the XJ-S to an E-Type MKII or MKIII

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:18 pm
Lodein wrote:

Lodein

As for the Mini, it does look nice, it reminds me of a girlfriend ~33 years ago, she had a Mini Clubman that her dad had rebuilt (accident damage) and one Christmas the three of us resprayed it black. That was a 1970 car with the 1098cc engine.
I know that you have a S Type and you had some XJ before. It is only british humour but from a French it doesn't work !!!

Clearly, the mini is basic, but it is very beautiful and in very good condition. Over time I like the basic level of cars more and more maybe because they are less and less numerous.

Lodein

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon May 29, 2023 10:11 am

Thanks. The side profile of the XJ-S - Wow. 8)

I'd rather have an XJ-S over any E-Type and of those I prefer the MKlll. That's because of the wheel placement being more towards the outside of the car. Earlier versions, for me, are too far inboard and remind me of a Commer van.

Sadly, I can only say this as someone who doesn't and probably never will have either. Not even driven them. :cry:
Mark

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon May 29, 2023 11:09 am

I didn't know the Commer van, I look on google and effectively the wheels are too much inside and I don't like this van.

I don't like the E Type MkII et MkIII because I hate the front and more again the rear lights.
Except on the Commer Van (!!!) and some Citroën, the wheel placement too much inside doesn't matter for me. I know a lot of people who put some "wedge" (I am not sure of the word, it is google traductor de "cale") to move the wheels for 10, 15 or 20 mm outside and I understand what you feel.

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:56 pm

Lodein wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am
scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:18 pm
Lodein wrote:

Lodein

I know that you have a S Type and you had some XJ before. It is only british humour but from a French it doesn't work !!!

Clearly, the mini is basic, but it is very beautiful and in very good condition. Over time I like the basic level of cars more and more maybe because they are less and less numerous.

Lodein
More British humour - pretending to not see the real point and be offended by the apparent point!
Never mind, we both lost something in translation! :P :lol:

I know what you mean about the simplicity of the "poverty spec" models, we discussed this many years ago on here particularly about the 820i basic spec cars with no air-con, only front electric windows etc.
At the time the general consensus was the top models (Sterling, Vitesse) would always be valued but eventually the basic models would have their time, partly because no more top models were available and partly because so few of any models were left.

The Mini fulfills a different design brief though - its major selling point when new was that it was simple and therefore cheap or the "Economy" (e for economy) version, the car you bought when you wanted a new car but could only really afford a secondhand one.
With that in mind, it still does exactly what it says on the tin (a TV advertising campaign used the tagline "does exactly what it says on the tin") and is therefore desirable for the simplicity and to a Mini enthusiast, just because it's a Mini.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:20 pm

​Thanks to my friend, whom I thank very much 🙏 and one of his publications on a social network, I was able to get in touch with the 3rd owner of my Daimler and thus retrace his history, which is a little different from what I imagined. ...

I am therefore the 6th owner of my Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas.

Its first owner was a Dutch industrial boss. And so my car is of Dutch origin, which explains certain things like its specific wheel covers for the Benelux...

It was sold to a resident of Haut de Seine in March 1992 when it had ~100,000 km and a new Jaguar standard exchange engine.

It was sold in February 97 in Cluny (Saône et Loire) at ~22,000 km (122,000 km of course, but 5-digit counter...). There it was extensively renovated mainly at the body level (but also the woodwork, the air conditioning...) with a lot of new parts. The restoration was completed at the end of 1998.

It was then sold in early 2003 to a collector from Ambérieux en Bugey (Ain) who drove it very little and whose wiring harness started a fire.

It was sold to a mechanic from Corbas (Rhône) specialized in the transformation of gasoline cars into diesel version and he wanted to dieselize it 😱. But fortunately, given the excellent condition of the car, he preferred to redo it (but did not drive it) and following a real estate project, he sold it to me in June 2011.

The third owner had all the invoices, including that of the engine exchange which he gave to the 4th owner, but unfortunately these were not followed up. ​☹️

But he had made a restoration follow-up book with lots of details on the changed parts (36 pages!!!) and especially with photos, which he kept and sent to me 👍 🙂 .

Here are some photos (Please note these are scans of silver photos dating back almost 25 years!!!) of the starting condition.

Clearly the initial state is scary!!!

Under restoration

Once painted and polyglossed

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Wow, that was in better condition than my Series III XJ6 Sovereign was! That took a lot of welding to get right!

Glad to hear you found a lot of the provenance on the car though Stephan, always nice to know about the history of a car.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:16 am

I'm surprised somebody took the time, trouble and expense to do that. Over here big Jags, etc were practically worthless and many succumbed to banger racing (I hate banger aka stock car racing :evil: )

Needless to say, I'm very pleased that somebody did and you are continuing to preserve a motoring heritage. Because, let's be honest, I don't believe many folk are going to get that excited over a 40 year old Prius :lol: .
Last edited by Fastback on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:15 pm

Does aybody get excited over any Prius, regardless of age? :P :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:34 pm

Fastback wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:16 am
I'm surprised somebody took the time, trouble and expense to do that. Over here big Jags, etc were practically worthless and many succumbed to banger racing (I hate banger aka stock car racing :evil: )

Needless to say, I'm very pleased that somebody did and you are continuing to preserve a motoring heritage. Because, let's be honest, I don't believe many folk are going to get that excited over a 40 year old Prius :lol: .
When he restored the car, the engine was near new (only 22,000 km) and he had not seen all the problems, which probably explains it.
And it's not just a Jaguar, it's a more luxurious and rarer Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

Clearly, I don't think anyone will do this much work (and spend this much money) today for such a car in this condition.

I agree with you for a Prius, and I'm even sure that today nobody would restore a Jaguar XJ X351 if it was in the initial state of my Daimler.

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:35 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:15 pm
Does aybody get excited over any Prius, regardless of age? :P :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lodein