1990 Celica GT

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheVDM
Regular Visitor

1990 Celica GT

Post by TheVDM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:40 am

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been here of late, I was looking at getting either a 200 series coupe or an 800 coupe but eventually shocked myself and bought a non Rover as a project car.

I got this bargain on ebay for £375 with 11 months MoT left on it.

It's a 1990 Toyota Celica GT-i 2.0, runs perfectly and is in fairly good condition for it's age, almost everything is original on it except for the alloys which are off a 6th Gen Celica, the guy threw in the original alloys for free which need a light refurb.

It came with a pretty good service history, it's got main dealer stamps up until 2003, then a ton of receipts thereafter (and a free haynes manual).

It's even got the original cassette deck.

My plans for this one are to keep it as a weekend/project car and work on getting a showroom finish.

The repair list is amazingly small:
Lots of small bits of cosmetic bodywork
Repair rear window washer
Repair dashboard (dash lift has followed me, this time it's around the windscreen air vents)

Amazingly this car is known to have rust issues on it, but I'm still searching for a spot of rust!
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: 1990 Celica GT

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:38 am

That looks like a bargain
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Nice to see you back Jim, keep us posted. It looks a nice car
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you Richard & Simon, it's nice to drop in here every so often, one day another 800 will be on the drive. I'll keep this space updated with any work that is done on the car. I'm aiming to start the work around mid August. I'm scraping by this month (messed up my accounting), then the MoT on the Accord is due in the first week of August so I'll be getting the odds and ends done on that to get it through: Discs and pads all round (I bought them 6 months ago, just being lazy), refit fuel filter housing and primer pump and new front tyres should see it good for the next year.

My first jobs on the Celica will be going back to my upholstery skills, although the seats are pretty good the steering wheel has a PU leather skin on it which is quite sticky after 25 years in a hot car! Then I need to see if the original alloys will fit over the up-rated brakes, if so I'll get the tyres stripped on them (and disposed of as they are not road worthy) to start on a light refurb. If the wheels don't fit over the discs I'll look into putting them back to stock size, but maybe with drilled/groved discs.

For now I'm just enjoying the drive, 154 BHP (if it's still got it) gives quite a kick in a car that weights 1100 KG, one day I'll get it on a dyno to see how much it has lost, might consider an engine rebuild in the winter.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable