New Trailer Project

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Trailer Project

Post by CHR15E » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Maybe I should start locking it up to make sure no one moves in while I'm not looking? :lol:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Either that or raid WH Smiths for some rent books! :idea: :wink: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Been doing more jobs, with deciding on having the bench I keep coming up with more ideas. :rolleyes:

I had planned on paneling the inside but realised I needed to sort the lights etc I wanted to fit first.

So here we are.

3 6ft strip lights around the roof.

Decided I may as well do it properly, added a consumer unit to split the wiring and metal clad sockets.

Decided to put my Dads old winch in as well just in case. Need to extend the wiring though and sort out fitting it better. Plus tidy all the other cables. A little bit further anyway.

Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Nice work Chris - surprised you went for fluorescents though with all the LED options available these days - i recently bought some under-cupboard LED strip lights from Toolstation and they give an amazing amount of light, much more than the comparable sized "old skool" versions. Also being solid state and less susceptible to the vibration of towing might be a better long-term option? Also they take less power if you find yourself using it as a mobile workshop and only have a car battery and inverter on hand to power them.

All that said, that family of immigrants you're renting to might have a garage business running in there within days of their tenancy! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:21 am

I already had the lights in stock from a previous garage alteration, otherwise I would have looked at LED's for the reasons you mention. Just seemed silly to not use them.

Powerwise I'm in two minds whether to try them on an inverter or bolt my 2.6KVA generator to the front? It's excessive and if I had to go out and buy one specifically I'd probably not bother but I have it sat in the garage doing nothing else.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Bolt the genny on with tamperproof blots Chris, 2kW opf power is useful to have! Should run the flo's no trouble, an inverter may struggle due to earth leakage from the flo's (hence the split neiutrals on a domestic consumer unit) but the genny should share an eath with them (trailer chassic) so shouldn't be a problem.
Then build something rounf the genny to help prevent it being nicked!

Little suggestion here - make the work bench dual purpose - workbench and worktop/kitchen area - it would make one hell of a camping trailer! I know we've done the jokes about a family of imigrunts living in it but seriouslyt, you caould campe in it no worries for a week or three, especially with power! Maybe even convert your genny to LPG with a 100L tank bolted to the underside of the trailer! Cheap leccy when camping for absolutely ages! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 pm

It's definitely something I'm considering though I may wait to see how I end up using the trailer before deciding whether to fit the generator as I have another possible plan for the A frame for carrying long lengths of timber/metal. Inside I only have room for 3M and it would be nice to be able to carry 3.6M if need be.

Camping in it is a nice idea but my other half wouldn't go for that.

Next thing I've decided to do is panel the inside to act as a barrier in case anything made a bid for freedom and risk damaging the outside.

I also wanted to add braces on all the uprights. I would have used new sheets of ply but it seemed a waste to not use the off cuts from the outside as there's quite a bit left over. As far as I've got at the minute, got to finish the front and other side and then sort the wheel arches properly.

Chris

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Both walls are panelled now, just the front to do but I'm waiting till I've finished wiring and fitting lights before doing that.

I ordered a load of lights the other day and they've started to arrive. Hopefully all here for the weekend to get wired up.

These are going to be the marker lights for the front.

4 here on at the same time, doesn't really show much though.

I couldn't decide whether to fit marker lights on the sides or not. Legally I don't have to but I might depending what I think of the fronts. For the time being I'm going to plaster these all over to make sure it's seen.

Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Insulation and lighting Chris? Definitely put the rent up for those families moving in! :wink: :lol:

Joking aside, you're doing a cracking job there, surprised you didn't think of a Renault Kangoo style "door" in the roof for when you want to carry longer items?

I really must get on and sort my trailer and oddly seeing your project has reminded me of another project i'd like to do, converting an LDV ambulance (the one with the V8 and ZF4HP22 autobox) into a camper. I'll probably be lucky to finish my trailer this decade but hey, it's good to dream! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

I did consider putting some spare loft insulation in the cavity actually but thought there's no point?

After the effort and expense of the roof covering I don't fancy the idea of compromising it.

What do you want your trailer to be able to carry?

I very nearly bought an LDV like that 10+ years ago. It was rough so I left it, though it was to use as a van rather than a camper.

Can't imagine many good ones are left?
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:33 pm

My trailer doesn't have to carry much, general rubbish etc to the tip once in a while, occasional larger items - the usual sort of stuff really. I sometimes wonder if i'll need to keep it as i now have the Volvo with a comparable load deck (possibly even bigger than the trailer!) so do i really need a trailer as well?
Think i need to do some serious deciding and go from there.

I think you're right about the LDV and if i did buy one it would definitely be a long term project. Even finding a rough one with V8 and ZF autobox still intact (and not robbed to upgrade a P5B! :shock: ) is going to be hard. If memory serves it should still have the later front end with the rectangular headlamps/curvy front end with that engine and box combo but i'll have to wait and see if anything comes along.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:17 pm

you could wire up a remote control for the winch very simple and cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-WIRE ... SwHnFVp13r
regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 am

scoobyh123 wrote:My trailer doesn't have to carry much, general rubbish etc to the tip once in a while, occasional larger items - the usual sort of stuff really. I sometimes wonder if i'll need to keep it as i now have the Volvo with a comparable load deck (possibly even bigger than the trailer!) so do i really need a trailer as well?
Think i need to do some serious deciding and go from there.

I think you're right about the LDV and if i did buy one it would definitely be a long term project. Even finding a rough one with V8 and ZF autobox still intact (and not robbed to upgrade a P5B! :shock: ) is going to be hard. If memory serves it should still have the later front end with the rectangular headlamps/curvy front end with that engine and box combo but i'll have to wait and see if anything comes along.
Only you can decide that I guess. For me I'm always up to something so having the carrying capacity will be nice. The biggest benefit will be for moving 8x4 sheets and not having to mess around strapping them to the top of the garden trailer I have.

I also have some project ideas for outside at home so it will come in handy for that as well.

Curvy front LDV must be a Convoy then? The one I went to look at was a 400 with the squarer wings.
thamestyres wrote:you could wire up a remote control for the winch very simple and cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-WIRE ... SwHnFVp13r
regards ricky
Thanks for that, didn't realise you could retro fit the kit.

A mate has a super duper one on his 4x4 with similar controls.

I'll get one ordered. Need to make a ramp then or the winch will be a little redundant. :D
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:42 am

I think the Convoy and Pilot had the same face-lifted front end, the Pilot had the 1.9D (PSA XU9D) engine and the Convoy had the 2.5 Perkins turbodiesel. Not sure how the V8 fitted into that line-up and had forgotten they also fitted the V8 to the earlier "square-snout" versions. To be honest i'd prefer the older one looks wise but i think finding either with the original engine/box will be like finding a hens dentist.

As for my trailer, the jury is still out on that one...........
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:03 pm

Basically yes, just the obvious size difference.

The 94 400 I had was fitted with a 2.5 Peugeot engine, it was useless but went everywhere I tried to take it. Just very slowly.

The later Convoys had Transit engines in and were much better as a result.
Chris