Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by zcar12 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Dave, I looked at that particular Isihara test and I can see no number hidden in the colored dots. I studied this subject when I did pilot training many years ago and had to pass a lantern test. This is where you fly into an airfield where the traffic is controlled by light signals from the ground. (Aldis Lamp) Continuous red means "do not land". I passed the test. If you cant pass the test, you are only allowed to fly into airfields with radio controlled traffic. I could never fly as a commercial pilot. For over 20 years, the Australian CAA has tried to ban commercial pilots with less than perfect color vision. There is no evidence that such pilots are a danger to the public., as their performance has been as good as one would expect. This case has been about evidence based medicine and still rumbles on. British Rail would not employ me as I could not pass an Isihra test.. Likewise, I was advised never to do electrical engineering. There are different degrees of color perception difficulties and I am only mildly affected. Normally, it causes me no problems. My son is also affected, proving that he is my son and not the milkman's.

I may try a colored plastic film over the instrument dials to increase the contrast. Like my amber tinted driving glasses..Replacing the dials or lighting bulbs is a lot of work and seems like overkill to me.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:10 am

Apparently those with perfect colour vision see the number 74 in that test Nick - i saw 21 which (according to the blurb below it) signifies mild red-green colour blindness.

I spent most of my working life as an electrical/electronic Tech Eng predominantly in maintenance/Service engineering with mechanical stuff thrown in for fun and was trained for this during my apprenticeship. I was tested before i started my apprenticeship and deemed "borderline" but the safe side of the border (else i would have had to reconsider my career path!) and a couple of times through my life including the time i changed career to maintain an income after being made redundant and little or no prospects of a similar job.

Colour blindness would have been a problem in that career too as it was bus driving - no good going through a red light and swearing black is white that it was green! :shock: :lol:

Again i was deemed the safe side of the borderline (just) but that was 12 years and a lifetime ago!

Since then i've been crippled in a works-related accident, have gained diabetes, high blood pressure, angina and a few other unpleasant things and my eyes are that much older and nowhere near as good.

I suppose that's why i saw "21" rather than "74" in that test!

My dad (as far as i know) wasn't colour blind, i'm sure my mum told me the milkman was though! :lol:

Your idea of a coloured filter/film over the instruments may be a surprisingly easy and cheap fix. Some yellow film might be a good place to start if your yellow night driving glasses improve things during the day?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transparent-C ... Sw4DJYiiYr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YELLOW-WINDOW ... RHSg-c5Gbg

First link there has loads of different colours to chose from, second is only yellow but much cheaper than the first.

I've fitted green LED bulbs to the instruments in my Volvo and plan to fit them in my Coupé as well, i'd post some pics but can't at the moment as i've been ransomed by Photobucket and waiting on a memory stick to download all my pics and then reload them to another host.
In my Sterling i have blue LEDs and the main reason i changed the Rovers is because i don't like the red glow they are fitted with originally - i find it very harsh on my eyes, especially at night.

I'm trying out some different LEDs to what i've traditionally used. Originally after a few false starts, i used this type in the Sterling :

Then i went for these in the Volvo :

Now, after trying some amber/yellow ones in my clear side repeaters with great success, i'm going for these for the Coupé :

In the case of the Sterling and also the Volvo, there were bulbs out to start with so i had to have the instruments out to change the bulbs anyway. Out of all three types, the last ones which are basically silicone lenses/clear diffusers over LED "filaments" seem to give the best light dispersal and brightness. The second type which are COB (Chip On Board) are basically an array of several LEDs (18 i think?) on one substrate and give good brightness but are a bit directional with not so good dispersal.
The first type although bright are, despite appearances, even more directional than the second type. They work best with a reflector which isn't present inside an instrument cluster.

If the silicone ones work well in the Coupé i may well get some blue ones and redo the Sterling. I also bought some white ones to use as sidelight bulbs. The standard 501 filament bulbs are 50 Lumen output, these LEDs are at least 80LM output so are brighter but without the glare you can sometimes get from LEDs which can be off-putting to say the least!

Anyway, enough waffle - maybe try the yellow film? :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Dave, I give you ten out of ten for effort and experimentation, despite your poor health.

My eyesight problem with the Mondeo dials only bothers me in bright sunlight as there is a cowl which shades the instruments. I wear Polaroid sun glasses in bright light and I save my Amber Tinted Glasses for night driving. I have got an Amber Tinted Sheet on order (30x60 cms)from an Honorable Chinese gentleman and will see how that works..

I have never had any problems recognizing traffic light colors. Who can tell what I actually see compared to another? As long as I recognize my situation and take the right action, I cant see that I should give anyone else a problem. I just have to watch out for confirmation bias.

Would love to have worked on the Mondeo today, but it has so far rained the whole day. (Coming your way for tomorrow)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks Nick! :P

Fingers crossed on the amber tinting sheet - who knows, you may start a new trend in car styling?

I've never had any trouble with traffic light colours either but the Isihara test says i do - as the locals say round here, "Go figure y'all!".

The only trouble i have had is in artificial light with the colour code bands on some resistors and even more occasionally capacitors. It's always been between red and orange though, particularly when the body colour has been a darker beige than normal. That's never been a problem in practice as there's always a multimeter to verify which is good practice anyway.
I think that comes under the heading of "taking the right action".

It's been persisting it down (try saying that quickly! :wink: :lol: ) here since lunchtime so all outdoor activities have been postponed pending better weather. :roll: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Took the washer motor out of the Mondeo today. There is an access panel under the bumper held by a few Torx screws. There was corrosion on the plug pins so water had been getting in there. Connected the motor to a 12 volt supply and got a spark but no joy. Being inquisitive, I cut the top open and it was a real mess inside so not repairable, at least by me. I have a new motor on order, 3 year, 36000 mile warranty. That will do me. In the meantime, the Rover is getting some use.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 pm

All sounds good Nick! When does the new pump arrive? :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:07 pm

New pump should be here Wednesday. When checking the glove box fuses, I accidentally pulled the wrong one and lost the radio code. The last owner taped it to the sun visor or I would have been up the creek without a paddle. Normal service has been resumed.

After the washer is fixed, next job is the tailgate micro switch and since I have to remove the trim inside, this should give me access to the number plate bulbs. One has blown so I will change the two.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 am

The number plate lights unscrew from outside.

I found both of mine had rotten terminals and needed to be replaced.

I reckon the water came from the old wiper motor which had seized up.

New lights were about £6 each from eurocarparts.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_ ... 038&000512
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 am

Chris, Do you have an estate? (the car I mean) If so, on mine, the micro switch in the tailgate is not working, although I can unlock/open it with the key. That's why I need to take the interior trim off. If the number plate lights unscrew from outside, then that;s a bonus as far as I am concerned.

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:47 am

Chris, on mine, the micro switch in the tailgate is not working, although I can unlock/open it with the key. That's why I need to take the interior trim off. If the number plate lights unscrew from outside, then that;s a bonus as far as I am concerned. Plus the tailgate has a small dent bottom offside that I want to try knocking out.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 pm

I do, this is mine. It's an 07 ST TDCi. I've not had to touch the lock on mine so can't help with that I'm afraid.

Chris

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 am

Great looking car Chris. I am going to try uploading an image. Been a bit lazy with this but about time I got to grips with it.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:11 am

It does stand well, it drives great but wish it was more powerful.

Aside the flywheel it's never let me down, though has cost a fortune in wear and tear. Beginning to realise I bought it at the wrong point in it's life. Most likely keeping it till it dies now as I've spent too much and have no idea what I would replace it with.
Chris

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Chris, I feel your pain. Looking back, I also made the mistake of buying my Mondeo at the wrong time in its life. Logistics played a role for me, in that it was only a mile away from home, short MoT, seller desperate for some cash, hence paid only £200 for it. Time of year also, as few people have any spare cash after Christmas and need to pay the bills. To my eyes the body and paint looked very good and the interior has cleaned up well. So far, its cost me 2 tires at £91, ball joint joint £21, drop links £30, Oil and filter £30, Auto Box Fluid £20, Roll bar rubbers £9, Strut bearings £26, Washer pump £6, paint £7, plus MoT fee £53. Hopefully, I am nearing the end of my spending on it. I know that clutches and DMF flywheels are not a cheap job to have done in a garage, hence why I was swayed to try an auto.

Now that I have fixed the suspension clonks, its a pleasure to drive, it gives a very soft, waft'y ride. My wife loves it. I suspect that with the wheels and tires you have on your car, it really sticks to the road. but gives quite a firm ride. Maybe the roads in your area are very good. Here we have plenty of potholes due to our money being siphoned off to pay for council workers pensions. IMHO.

two pictures of the damage it had when I got it and when I had fixed it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I've read both your comments Nick and also those Chris has made with interest as the only Mondeo i've ever owned was a 2.0 Mk2 hatchback that basically should have been put out of its misery long before i bought it.

With what you've spent Nick you've still got a bargain i reckon - you could probably run it for a year, re-MoT it (cheaply) and then ebay it for more than it owes you.

On the other hand i think Chris will have to do as he suggests and run it until it dies because of having to replace the DMF but take that out of the equation and it seems like both of you have done reasonably well on each car.

Most of the stuff has been relatively cheap and easy to fix for both of you which can't be bad at all! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate