Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by zcar12 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:08 pm

I have just acquired a Mondeo Petrol 2 Litre Auto 51 plate, Ghia Estate, £200, very little rust, 167k miles, 8 owners. At £200, it was just too good to pass up, drives ace, everything seems to work, no engine rattles. Its had plenty of recent work like rear brake replacement and rear brake pipes, bushes, plugs, coil leads, ignition modules, owner threw in a set of new front pads. I know very little about Fords, having run an 820 petrol manual for 15 years. I have a list of questions:

Engine oil. Which grade do I use?

Auto box. Is it an Asin Warner or other make? Which oil does it take? Is the box a 4 or 5 speed?

Anything special I should watch out for with this car?

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ford Mondeo 2.0 Litre Auto.

Post by mercedade » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Engine oil is almost certainly 5W30 - seems to be standard for petrol Fords of that era.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Ford were fond of using their own auto boxes for a long time Nick. The last they fitted was a CD4E which was a 4-speed auto on the 2.0 petrol. Apparently this has a reputation for being unreliable and allegedly the reason Ford stopped making their own autos. This was replaced with the ZF 5F31J which should be a lot more reliable :

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... tm?t=45356

More information :

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic ... automatic/

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?tit ... ifications

Like Adrian said, chances are it's a 5W30 synthetic, with that mileage you'd probably be just as well off using a 10W40 semi-synth as it's a lot cheaper! A few oil changes could soon add up to what you paid for the car if using the 5W30 synthetic!

Mondeos have a well-earned reputation for wearing out suspension bushes on both front and rear subframes. In terms of cost, that can pretty much write them off as the subframes have to come off to change the bushes - sounds obvious really and it is. The bit that isn't obvious is they need a body jig to refit correctly, same goes for a clutch change on a manual, the front subframe has to come out. Again it's a body jig job.
Actually thinking about it, that was the Mk2 Mondeo - i assume Mk3s are the same but it would pay to do some digging just in case! I had a Mk2 Mondeo once, 2.0 petrol manual and the rear suspension bushes were shot to bits and the fronts weren't far behind. Also the clutch was 9/10 dead and slipping badly. That's how i found all this out.
Looking at the Cortina Mk3, 4 and 5 and then later the Mk1 and 2 Sierra, the various incarnations of these vehicles used similar suspension/steering set-ups with minor tweaks here and there so it would seem reasonable to say they probably did similar with the Mondeo. If so it would be reasonable that the Mk3 shares the same suspension as the Mk2 - like i say, do some digging and just check.

It might be just as easy in the long run to give it a wash, polish and vacuum and put it on ebay!

Reading your post has also jogged my memory a bit. When i owned my first 800, it was about 1997 and it was an 820Si on a D plate so about 10 years old and still looked good. However the firm i worked for at the time wanted me to buy a Mondeo estate so i looked into it. Firstly the insurance went from £300/year on the 820 to £2300 a year on the 2.0 Ghia auto Mondeo, partly because it was only 3 years old but also they wanted me to carry goods. Then there was the finance on the Mondeo - when i asked my boss how much the firm were going to contribute he said "Nothing - it's your car!".

I said nothing more but had already decided not to buy the Mondeo for several reasons.

A week later he asked me when i was getting it and i said i wasn't. He got all arsey and asked why so i explained the figures didn't add up especially when most of its primary use would be for the firm and by the time i'd paid for the car and insurance plus my rent and bills, i would have nothing left to put petrol in it, never mind eat, drink, get drunk or anything else!

When i suggested the firm should buy it and i'd use it in the firms time for the firms business (as he'd wanted me to do with my pittance of a salary) he more or less said "Go away" but the second word was "Off".

Now if it had been that much of a good idea.............. :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you Dave for a very interesting post. From Adrian, I learn that the engine oil should be 5W30. Today I discovered that the car has a 4 speed auto box which takes Mircon 5 fluid. My plan is to change the engine oil and filter and then change the gearbox fluid. But first it must pass the MoT on 1st Match, when I must pick up the car. Otherwise, if it shows up too many faults, it will go on Ebay as spares or repair. A car 15 years old is a straight gamble win or lose. In my assessment it is too good at the moment to break. I will not lose very much either way, if I have overlooked something important. My philosophy is, the less I pay for a car, the less I can lose.

I have spent today going through the drivers handbook and familiarizing my self with all the gadgets on the car. Folding wing mirrors, heated seats, electrically adjustable, air con, auto box, overdrive switch, sunroof, where everything is. All the things my Rover does not have. The engine is a 2.0 litre Duratec and is quiet, auto box is smooth, no flares, jerks or clunks, brakes are good, all lights work. Body has virtually no rust and only a scuff on one passenger rear door, wheel arches are rust free, rust free tailgate, decent exhaust, towbar with electrics. Will need 1 tire for the test.

I am keeping my Rover. The Mondeo will have to prove it is an exceptional car before I consider selling my Rover. I will call my insurance company tomorrow and see if I can add the Mondeo to my policy temporarily. A straight 12 month policy for me would be around £200, with full NCB. That's a bit different to what you were asked to pay 20 years ago.

Interesting story about your old boss and the Mondeo. I presume you did not stay very long with that company after that. Serves the tight bar stewards right! Just like a good woman, a good employee is hard to find. (Or should that be slave)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Mercon V ATF? Ouch in the wallet if you buy it from Ford usually! Here's a good alternative :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-ATF-U ... SwA3dYTXfH

The manufacturers blurb :

http://www.carlube.co.uk/transmission-f ... sion-fluid

Or a similar fluid :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370377267109? ... EBIDX%3AIT

At this moment in time i'd say go for the ATF-U as it's tried, tested and trusted by many that i know, including someone who does extra tests of their own. They are currently evaluating the S&A version but it's not looking quite as good as the ATF-U yet. I use it myself in my own vehicles and always had good performance.

I'd suggest changing the engine oil & filter before the MoT to improve the emissions, no knowing what's in with the oil that can find its way out through the exhaust! :wink:

I have to say though, i drove quite a lot of Mk3 Mondeos when they were new and they were pretty good cars, if i had to buy a Mondeo then it would be a Mk3 for many reasons.

Least said about that employer the better really Nick, ungrateful covers a multitude of sins with them! The ultimate ingratitude was laying me off but with hindsight they actually did me a favour as i walked into a new job paying about 15% more (plus overtime!) with a company wreck - err they told me it was a van though! :wink: :lol:

Good luck with the Mondeo anyway, keep us posted with your progress! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 pm

I may have to scrub my plan to take on the Mondeo due to insurance costs. Called my insurance company today (Saga) and they want an additional premium of £367 to add the Mondeo to my policy. This company has really gone to hell since they floated 2 years back. They say that I can only have a NCB on the one car. Well, I was thinking of dumping them anyway when the Rover Insurance is due in May and they have made up my mind for me. The fact that I have never made a claim in 50 years of driving, never even had a parking ticket, seems to make no difference. Feeling really teed off at the moment!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 pm

That happens a lot unfortunately.

Have you tried a fresh quote for when your renewal is due?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Try getting a quote for your Rover on classic insurance Nick - Lancaster, Adrian Flux and a few others (that i can't think of just now!) are pretty good usually. That way you won't need NCB on the Rover and can transfer it to the Mondeo.

Also as Chris is (i think) suggesting, very often if you add another car to the policy for a short period of time (like until the end of the policy) they treat it as a short, fixed term policy and hammer you accordingly.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks Chris and Dave, a few ideas there that I can try. Spent the afternoon looking for my insurance documents, then realized that they were sent to me last year as an email attachment. Doh! Found them at last and they tell me I have12 years no claims.

I have noticed the last few years that insurance costs have begun rising sharply. And with a few Tricky Dicky types answering the phones! How to bamboozle the customer!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Try getting a quote for your Rover on classic insurance Nick - Lancaster, Adrian Flux and a few others (that i can't think of just now!) are pretty good usually. That way you won't need NCB on the Rover and can transfer it to the Mondeo.

Also as Chris is (i think) suggesting, very often if you add another car to the policy for a short period of time (like until the end of the policy) they treat it as a short, fixed term policy and hammer you accordingly.
I was just going on experience that policies are set to the car you have at the time.

I've had it twice in the last few years where it's been cheaper to cancel a policy and get a new quote. Once the quote was with the same company but they couldn't do anything on the old policy to make it competitive.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:12 am

Just to update you gentlemen. This morning, I have arranged new policies for my Rover and the Mondeo from 1st March with Adrian Flux. Comprehensive both cars with breakdown cover. Just under £400 for the two. I can live with that price.

Speaking with Saga on the phone yesterday, I found them to be very pushy and felt not at all happy to deal with them any longer. The culture of the company has changed since the flotation 2 years ago.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:47 am

That's a bit of a difference Nick! :shock: Both insured for about the same as Saga wanted just to add the Mondeo to the rest of your current policy! :shock: 8) :shock:

Glad you got it sorted anyway! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 pm

I thought I was home and dry arranging my insurance with Adrian Fkux. I should have known something would crop up and I would be forced to jump through hoops.

They just sent me an Email asking me to explain why the Rover was uninsured for over a month. Eh? The suggestion is that this could effect my claimed NBC. I check back through my records and since buying the car on 20.10.2002, it has always been covered by an insurance policy. In December2008, I took it off the road for a month to overhaul the brakes and declared it SORN. I did not cancel my insurance with Saga during this period. As far as I was concerned, it was still insured. Of course, I did not take it on the road at that time, until I took it to the MoT test, which it passed. I then re-taxed the car. Could this be the explanation?

Or maybe this. I used to insure my motorcycle also with Saga and 3 Years ago SORN'ed it for year before re-insuring it again with Saga.. Sold it last year and they sent me a notice of cancellation with 4 years NCB on a bike. I Emailed AF again as I considered their reply did not answer my questions. I have asked them again to give specific dates.

I have always hated dealing with ins cos as they seem to treat all customers as potential criminals. A conviction free and no claims 50 year record seems to mean nothing to them. My stress level has begun to rise!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Could it be Saga suspended your insurance for a month while the car was SORN way back when? I've never had a question like this but there was a period of about a year when mine was off the road about 8 years ish ago, during that period i was hunting down parts etc to do various jobs/improvements etc. My line of thought is they are probably more worried you were trying to "swing the lead" on the insurance for a month or perhaps they were looking at insurance and tax at the same time and misread one for t'other.

All that said, my first reaction is what the hell are they playing at going into the history of insurance, tax etc? As long as you don't have any convictions for no insurance etc and the car is legal and above board they have no business prying into the history of it. There are many legitimate reasons for a car being off the road, insured or not for a period of time - for example my Sterling has been off the road for the best part of 6 months with a dead alternator - still insured, taxed etc but not been used.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Dave, your thoughts on this mirror mine. Why go back over a cars tax/MoT history? There must be some method here in this silliness that I am missing.

When I read the Email, I was at first mildly irritated, then later I got quite angry.They seem to be asking me to jump through a hoop for their benefit. Perhaps there is a hidden rule that a car must be both taxed and have an MoT before the insurance is valid. If 2 are present and the third is missing, then it is not legal, all three must be present. Never mind the fact that it is on private land all the time it is off the road. i did not notify Saga that my car was off the road, it seemed not worth it for a few weeks. The two weeks turned into about five weeks as I could not get a firm brake pedal.

I am inclined to use my cancellation rights here but I am going to calm down overnight and wait for a response from AF.. They should be jumping through hoops for me. I am the customer, I pay the bills!