The other Lodein's cars

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The other Lodein's cars

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:09 am

Last weekend I went to a Jaguar XJ club outing

As Rover enthusiasts can only also be Jaguar enthusiasts, here are some photos of the gathering (And the opposite is true since in addition to me, two other members present also have Rovers, a P6 2200 TC for one and a P5 3.0l, a P6 2200 TC and a P6 3500 S for the second)

XJC / XJR X350 / X Type V6 2.1l / Daimler Double Six S3 / XJ-S V12

XJC / XJ 40 / XJ6 X350

XJ8 X308 / XJC / XJ6 X300

Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas S2 / XJ6 S2 / XJ6 X300

XJ40 / XJ8 X308 / XJR-S V12 6.0l

XJC

S Type 3.8l

XJC / Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas S3

Daimler Double Six S3

XKRS Siprit of Legend

XK Cabriolet / XJC / XJ40

XJ8 X358

XJ8 X308

And in the evening a S Type came

and a XJ40

Overall, we therefore had
6 XJC
4 XJ 40
3 Daimler Double Six S3
3 XJ8 X308
2 XJ6 X300
2 XJ X350
2 XJ-S
1 XJ8 X358
1 XJ6 S2
1 Daimler Double Six S2
1 S Type I
1 S Type II
1 XK Cabriolet
1 XKR
and a X Type

i.e. 31 jaguar including 25 XJ and derivatives

To be continued...

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:21 am

The first day, we took a cruise on the Creuse, which is the border between the department of Creuse and that of Indre

The ruins that we see are those of the castle of Crozant which dates from the 12th century

To be continued...

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:36 am

The next day, we went to the Jour de fête museum, in Sainte Sévère sur Indre where the film Jour de fête by Jacques Tati was shot in 1947.
Clearly this little museum is really great.
Reproduction of the village square with entertainment

The reconstruction of the studios
The village bar

The butchery

The post office

To be continued...

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:46 pm

After tasting some Reuilly

We leave for the castle of Valençay whose construction began in the 10th century and ended in the 17th century. It was among other things the castle of the Prince of Talleyrand Périgord.
Some pictures from the outside:

Let's go in

The Prince de Talleyrand Périgord
He was the French Ambassador to England

The music room

The small living room

The big living room

The office

The bedroom of the Princess of Talleyrand Périgord

Duchess Dino's room

The room of the King of Spain (Ferdinand VII of Spain who was assigned to residence at the Château de Valençay)

The bedroom of the Prince of Talleyrand Périgord

The dining room

The kitchen

Lodein

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am

Thanks for sharing!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:49 am

Superb pics there Stephan! I was waiting for you to finish all your posts before commenting but just to prove the point that Rover enthusiasts are also (or can be) Jag enthusiasts :

My latest acquisition. Sadly my Rover will be up for sale soon for restoration with a lot of spares, some of which will be needed for the resto.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:28 pm

Manalishi wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am
Thanks for sharing!
It is with pleasure

Lodein

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:30 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:49 am
Superb pics there Stephan! I was waiting for you to finish all your posts before commenting but just to prove the point that Rover enthusiasts are also (or can be) Jag enthusiasts :

My latest acquisition. Sadly my Rover will be up for sale soon for restoration with a lot of spares, some of which will be needed for the resto.
Congratulation for your S Type.

Which motor it is ?

I am not sure to understand, but you will sell your Rover 827 Sterling Saloon ?

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:54 pm

Lodein wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:30 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:

Which motor it is ?

Lodein
Thanks Stephan, it's the 3.0V6 SE with an LPG conversion already fitted so is nice and cheap to run.

It's a bit of a long story about the Rover, about 2 years ago i put it in for MoT and it failed on some welding on the sills, had it done by the test centre/garage and thought all was good (although they made an ugly job of it) until it went for the next MoT in November 2021.

The tester aborted the test on safety grounds and showed me the previous welding was incomplete. Also pointed out corrosion in the rear front subframe and the drivers side rear spring pan. Since then i have discovered the 4 slide mounts for the bumper are all "blown" (corroded so they spread apart and no longer support the ends of the bumpers) and no doubt there will be other small things that will need sorting that i'm not aware of.

However my general health etc won't permit me to crawl under to do the welding, change the rear front subframe and spring pan, i struggle these days to do a simple oil/filter change. As such, it will be up for sale with all parts that i know of that need replacing plus a whole load of other useful spares.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:54 pm
Lodein wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:

Which motor it is ?

Lodein
Thanks Stephan, it's the 3.0V6 SE with an LPG conversion already fitted so is nice and cheap to run.

It's a bit of a long story about the Rover, about 2 years ago i put it in for MoT and it failed on some welding on the sills, had it done by the test centre/garage and thought all was good (although they made an ugly job of it) until it went for the next MoT in November 2021.

The tester aborted the test on safety grounds and showed me the previous welding was incomplete. Also pointed out corrosion in the rear front subframe and the drivers side rear spring pan. Since then i have discovered the 4 slide mounts for the bumper are all "blown" (corroded so they spread apart and no longer support the ends of the bumpers) and no doubt there will be other small things that will need sorting that i'm not aware of.

However my general health etc won't permit me to crawl under to do the welding, change the rear front subframe and spring pan, i struggle these days to do a simple oil/filter change. As such, it will be up for sale with all parts that i know of that need replacing plus a whole load of other useful spares.
Dave it’s a really sad story about the welding and the way it was performed.
But everything comes to an end and hopefully you will have equally fun in the Jag.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:52 am

It is a bad new for your Rover, but you will have fun with the S Type...

I drove an S Type V6 3.0l of a friend and clearly it's a very good car.
The only "bad" thing is that the car is very big (almost 4.9m) and the space inside and in the booth is not commensurate, but all other things are great.

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am

Lodein wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:52 am

The only "bad" thing is that the car is very big (almost 4.9m) and the space inside and in the booth is not commensurate, but all other things are great.

Lodein
Funny thing is, the S-Type is actually shorter than the 800 but it is wider. I find the cabin has a bit more space than the 800 but agree the boot is smaller, that said if all of the space in the 800 boot is used, it's quite a stretch to reach what's immediately behind the back seats!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:39 am

Manalishi wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 am
scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:54 pm
Lodein wrote:

Which motor it is ?

Lodein

Dave it’s a really sad story about the welding and the way it was performed.
But everything comes to an end and hopefully you will have equally fun in the Jag.
Thanks Henrik, i just hope i'm able to sell the Rover to someone who will restore it as it deserves to be. I'm enjoying the Jag and it has provided scope for me to have a tinker with it. The DCCV (electrically controlled heater valves - twin ones!) wasn't working when i first got it so i traced and fixed that fault, the AC isn't working due to a leak which i have fix then get regassed and i need to make a custom panel for the single DIN stereo but first, i'm refurbing the spare wheel i bought (it came with a space-saver) as it was pretty flaky and lost air over 2-3 days.
I suppose i should start a thread for it really. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:02 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am
Lodein wrote:

Lodein
Funny thing is, the S-Type is actually shorter than the 800 but it is wider. I find the cabin has a bit more space than the 800 but agree the boot is smaller, that said if all of the space in the 800 boot is used, it's quite a stretch to reach what's immediately behind the back seats!
Clearly, I thought that ma Rover 800 was smaller ~4m65 / 4m70 and not 4m88 (It is the first time that I look at the size of my Rover since 3years and half I have it !!!), I don't know why I thought that.

Lodein

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Lodein wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:02 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am
Lodein wrote:

Lodein
Clearly, I thought that ma Rover 800 was smaller ~4m65 / 4m70 and not 4m88 (It is the first time that I look at the size of my Rover since 3years and half I have it !!!), I don't know why I thought that.

Lodein
Ah, yes - i was forgetting you have the Mk1, the Mk2 is 4.92m long. It's all in the bumpers from what i can tell. Can't recall the length of the Jag just now but it's just a little shorter.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate