Brad's Lexus LS400

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Dealt with a few like that over the years. As recently as two weeks ago with the Citroen C4 at the main dealer nearby.

I just complained and made it clear, after giving more than one chance to put things right, that I would simply go elsewhere. And we have.
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lord Sterling » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:By the way, this is what happened today.

10am - Drop off car at Lexus Cheltenham. All the staff I meet are told my name and each address me as "Mr Bennett". The courtesy car (free and freshly cleaned and tanked up) is brought to the front door. Andy, the driver, explains the controls.

I am told to pick up my car at 2pm. And off I go for a few hours.

1.45pm. phone call from the Service Manager to say car is ready.

2.05pm. Return courtesy car to Lexus. A valet driver (Brian) is waiting and relieves me of the car and key. He carries my papers and other bits and pieces to reception and diisappears to get the courtesy car washed and checked for the next customer.

2.10pm. I walk in to reception. One of the two receptionists greets me with my name, "Mr Bennett". How she knew it, I don't know as she wasn't there first thing this morning when I dropped off the car.

Meet the Service Manager who explains what they have done and tells me of a couple of things they have noted.

"Wheel wobble at 55mph" - wheels need balancing. No charge and is already done - how impressive is that?

"Rear tyres need changing as they are close to the limit". £211 each is the price which is trade price for Pirelli P Zero (they make no money on tyres) and cheaper by about £40 than I can get them.

My old Lexus appears as if by magic into the handover bay. It is spotless as it's been washed, vacuumed, dried and polished. Wheels cleaned and tyres dressed. The glass is so clean it looks like a new 'screen. All free and included in every Lexus service/repair.

Total cost was exactly as agreed up front. To the penny.

As I leave, three or four staff say "Goodbye, Mr Bennett" as I walk outside

My drivers seat is back in it's original position together with my rear view mirror and door mirrors (little things like that impress me) and I drive away.

Perfect.

Now try getting that standard of service time and time again, year in year out for ten years from Mercedes or BMW or Jag - it just won't happen. That's a big part of the reason why I drive a Lexus LS.
Wow Brad. I can only ever dream of service like that. My usual garage is;

Salaam Mo, how are ya? Howz life? etc...

Yeh man, just park the car in the road, chuck the keys in the cabinet and we'll see ya later. - Cue me walking down the road wondering what to do where to go and how to get there. My car will often come back more dirty than I sent it on. No one ever cleans my car, accept me.

Having said that, the guys I take my car to are genuine. If one garage try and scare you into parting with your hard earned, convincing you surface rust is dangerous corrosion, these guys will actually show you what is wrong with your car and tell how much it will actually cost, which is often, cheaper and easier than putting something right that doesnt need doing. This, I guess, is one of the reasons why he always fully booked up.

When I worked there for a while and tried to use the "Lexus dealer" like charm, but that was well tested to almost explosion with some of the over-demanding creeps who spat out thier dummies out because they couldnt get thier car into the workshop that very hour.

The only Stealers I've ever had to deal with is Nissan, and yes, they worst than poor. Fed up, uninterested, unwashed mouth-breathers behind the counter charging hugely over-inflated prices for parts that last less than a week before breaking. Not nice.

There was once a polite bloke at Westway Nissan in Bordesley who went out of his way to help me retrieve a correct wheel trim in the warehouse, but still, the over-inflated prices still put me off.

Lord Sterling
Last edited by Lord Sterling on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:28 pm

The Lexus is having some care and attention.

New windscreen, some paintwork where I have clobbered it a few times over the years, refurbished wheels and a pair of new headlights as the originals (perpex covers) are a bit dulled with time and weathering. The seats could do with their first feed and clean, too. Oh, and a new set of number plates.

Then a new MoT, new tax disc and a 47p2 special polishing and waxing. It's first in ten years.

Nice.

In the meantime, whilst it's off the road, I think I'll be using one of the gold Coupes on a daily basis.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm

I hope your bank manager is in a good mood after that!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 am

I hope you that the 'special polishing and waxing' includes a liberal coating of rim wax :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JT

...........Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 am

Richard Moss wrote:I hope your bank manager is in a good mood after that!
I know what you are saying. Just two headlights are £700 new. The windscreen is done under the insurance (£70 excess), the paint will be £1000 and the wheels £85 a piece as they are part painted and part polished. I have noticed I need two new rear tyres (again) so there's another £450, too.

I reckon just over £2500 in all. I can forget it then for a while as it's next service isn't due for another 8000 miles and a cambelt change is due in about 25000 miles.

What's the alternative? A new car? Or a newer car? No point, really, except for income tax reasons.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 am

47p2 wrote:I hope you that the 'special polishing and waxing' includes a liberal coating of rim wax :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, Vicar. Rim wax? You are paignton a dodgy picture in my head, sir.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:31 am

Very Tall Brad wrote: What's the alternative? A new car? Or a newer car? No point, really, except for income tax reasons.
As you've said before, taken over the lifetime of the car and weighed up against the cost of replacing it, it makes sense to spend the money.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

John W
Rover Guru

Post by John W » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:
Just two headlights are £700 new.

I reckon just over £2500 in all.
:shock:
Kind Regards

John
------------------------------------------

1996 BMW 525IX Touring (4x4)
1979 Porsche 924
1982 Porsche 924
1985 Porsche 944

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm

The last MAJOR (not including cambelt) service was £1800. That was for all fluids including rear diff oil, transmission, brake, engine, auto transmission fluids. And new pollen filters, new auxilliary belts (changed due to age) and a retreating of the factory rustproofing.

Cambelt is an extra £700 to be changed but still £1000 less than the same job on my 3 litre Espace.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm

New screen fitted this afternoon by AA Auto Windshields who did a fantastic job.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Have you tired the latest versions of the LS series Brad?

(just curious if they are as good)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm

I have. They are quicker still and even quieter. However, the LS430 (2001 to 2006) and LS460 (2006 to 2009) and LS600 (2006 to date) have had some minor engine reliability issues mainly on really high mileage cars (200,000 miles plus). I think the change from the LS400 forged blocks and cranks to aluminium on the post 2001 LS cars has done them no favours. On the American Lexus forum, there are LS400 owners whose cars have done 600,000 miles without major problems.

The latest LS600 is a real beast and I really would like one. But the range now starts at £95000 on the road.
No longer an 800 owner!

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00 pm

The headlamp lenses can be refurbished Brad
JT

...........Image

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:The latest LS600 is a real beast and I really would like one. But the range now starts at £95000 on the road.
Lovely, I'd better start saving for one then :roll: :lol:

Lord Sterling