Brad's Lexus LS400

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: Brad's Lexus LS400

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Well, that sort of bill makes me feel rather better about the perceived expense of running a Jaguar S-type out here!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

whitelion58
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by whitelion58 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 am

Blimey Brad that is a chunk of cash... Interesting that the bhp is still bang on factory spec - amazing really.
Understand the attachment to the car, but that does seem a long stretch... Did you see the 10k mile Celsior on ebay the other day for £3.5k? Still had the cling film on the kick plates...

Anyway, the green LS I got in November has cruised through 12,000 miles since then without much to report. There was some brake judder so new discs and pads cost me £120 and a couple of hours of my time. Still some shake, which I just isolated this morning to a n/s ball joint - thanks to Shropshire/Cheshire pot holes.
A BluePrint joint is about £90 - still way more than Rover, but not too eye watering. Don't think I will be using Lex parts, but will give them a call just for a laugh..

Other than that, it just wafts me back and forth up the A41 every day, as it should.

Oh, and its fuel costs are cheaper than the Sterling. 14p/mile (42 mpg equiv).
On a recent day trip to Leeds and back, with cruise set to 85 all the way it did 250 miles for 12p/mile - thats 52mpg equiv. Gotta love that.

A pic for your amusent:

300 Horses and 1 Cat.

Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Tim,

loving the scowly face on the cat :lol: Looks like mine. That will be cos its not sitting on a Rover :wink:
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 pm

I know it's just a reflection of the windscreen but that cat looks heavy.

As regards paying out so much on my car, it's been incredibly cheap to run in terms of parts. And I apid for it by selling a few of my 800s over the past few months. I now expect another 350,000 miles out of it with ease.
No longer an 800 owner!

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:I know it's just a reflection of the windscreen but that cat looks heavy.
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw that photo.

Glad to hear the Lexus is on the road to recovery, I had to get the calculator out for a tally up and all I can say is I would probably have a stroke if my MoT came to that amount :shock:

I hope the Lexus brings you a further 350,000 trouble free miles.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 pm

It was a lot of money but, as I have said before, 13 years and 344000 miles is great going. All it's had in that time is a starter motor and some electric steering column motors. It's depreciated about £54,000, granted. And every service has cost a lot of money. But it's never caused me grief, back pain or got me stranded anywhere. It's never given me a fright or delivered me to my destination feeling knackered . And it's been totally anonymous along the way. But great fun behind the wheel
Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:30 am

350,000 now clocked up. Running like a dream. I reckon this'll never wear out.
No longer an 800 owner!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I do like a man that challenges fate.

Here's to the next 350,00 and hoping that she keeps running that way for you.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:17 pm

rovercoup wrote:I do like a man that challenges fate.

Here's to the next 350,00 and hoping that she keeps running that way for you.
It will all be fine. Blimey, not even the driver's seat shows any real wear yet!

There's someone I know on the US Lexus Forum that's clocked up over 700,000 miles on the same engine/transmission without major problems.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Went to see DodgyVinyl Carl in beautiful Henley in Arden ten days ago. I came back via Earlswood Lakes and ended up driving through some very deep mud for mile after mile. Come car washing time, I had to remove the undertrays as they had scooped up all sorts of stuff - mud, manure and grass. It took two hours to clean it all out. The point of all of this is that I have been having some funny farmyardy burning smells recently and, whilst cleaning the underside, found a couple of small dead baby rats and a large store of acorns, leaves and grass all packed into one of the aerodynamic plastic undertrays. Nice.

Smell now gone.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 pm

I've been getting an intermittent auto fault whereby the car won't change into 5th. Rather than pay Lexus dealer rates I thought I'd have a go myself at fixing it. Armed with dealer repair manuals and a few hours it was off with the numerous undertrays and a drain of the auto fluid. Off with the sump ( 13 bolts) and a clean out of the goo and magnets. I tested all the solenoids and found the offending one which just needed a clean with electrical contact spray. New gasket on the sump and a fill with Toyota ATF which is 70 quid for 5 litres - I needed 9 - and it's all great again.

Bottom line - no rusted nuts, a doddle to do and a pleasure to reassemble. Whilst under there I changed the engine oil and filter again (it's 80th oil change since I bought it in 2000) and checked everything for leaks etc. The car is still on its original exhaust and steering rack and rad. Surely something MUST start leaking one day!

Happiest owners are LS 400 owners.
No longer an 800 owner!