Not a Rover as Such.............

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Not a Rover as Such.............

Post by MG Mal » Tue May 24, 2011 6:11 pm

But the original was built by the Rover company. :D

I bought this a couple of weeks ago off a Land Rover Owners forum member, with the idea of doing a steady refurb without anything heavy.

Turned out to be a very solid beastie, only needing a good overhaul of the mechanicals and the body sorting out.

Although I have no "Before" pics, she was coated in several layers of "Chalk Board" paint, and looking very sorry for herself.

Taken back using a DA sander , hand sanding and a zip wheel on the drill.

Brush and Roller technique used to put her back to Bronze Green which was the earliest colour I found on her.

Grill, wing vent, lamps and reg plate loosley fitted as a test.

Awaiting new canvas (sand). which should set it off nicely.

Still need to do interior of cabin space, chassis paint and treat. then servicing and MOT checks.

I have a pile of box's of bits to fit, new seats adding rear side seats, new belts rubber mats etc, all new seals etc.

This is how she looked on Friday.

Hope you like them.

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MG Mal » Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 pm

And this is how she looks today. :D

Still lots more to do, but Monday My new hood arrived from "All wheel Trim"

Here's a couple of pics with the new hood fitted.

It's not "perfect" yet, but I'm glad I got it as tight as I could, as the minute it was fitted, the heavens opened and we had 3hrs of solid steady rain! :(

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Tue May 24, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm not usually a Landie lover, but this takes me back. Looks well nice! There is a couple just up the road from me who always, for the past 16 years to my knowledge, drive Landies in white. Quintesentially British
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Too many military Landrover memories for me to really love them, but that certainly looks nice now.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 pm

I had been thinking about a "back to basics" project for a while.

When this Landy came up, I thought it would be the perfect choice.
(and it was cheap considering the serious lack of rot)

As for a simple restoration, I was lucky as the usual rot spots where in very good condition.

Its mainly been sorting out the outward appearance, general overhaul of various fittings and making it a little more user friendly.

Best thing about a Landy is you dont really have to send it for a respray.

Done with care and patience, a good set of quality brush's and decent mini rollers will get a very good finish.

Like spraying its all in the prep I suppose.

I'm aiming for a finished vehicle that will likely be used more for fun and week ends , rather than the work horse she started off as.

Instead of the basic two up front, there will also be a pair of side seats in the back, a load area mat to "soften" the agricultural finish in the rear tub, and floor mats and new belts up front.

It should make for an interesting yet fun bit of kit once done.

I too have many service memories of Landy's, more "painfull" ones than Laughs, but then I have always liked them.

mal.

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 pm

I've got fairly good service memories of Landies, but always preferred the Champ.

Should be a good fun weekender though Mal
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue May 24, 2011 7:33 pm

I like that, I can certainly see the appeal, you have done a good job on that.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Looks well nice Mal, bet you'll have some good outings in that. :D

Regards

Jon R

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue May 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks guys,

Rich. C. , once on the road, you can have a play when you collect your sills LOL.
Last edited by MG Mal on Wed May 25, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue May 24, 2011 8:44 pm

MG Mal wrote:Thanks guys,

Rich. C. , once on the road, you can have a play when you collect your cills LOL.
I know i sill haven't picked them up :oops: :oops: sorry

I look forward to that I have a week off work week after next you about then ?
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue May 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Should be Richard, let me know nearer the time,.

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 am

MG Mal wrote:
Instead of the basic two up front, there will also be a pair of side seats in the back, a load area mat to "soften" the agricultural finish in the rear tub, and floor mats and new belts up front.
No1 Son's Series III has MkI Sterling heated leather seats in blue - to match the Marine Blue bodywork. (It also had a Tickford engine at one stage in its evolution).

So can can have plenty of 'Rover as such' content!
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

rich1988
Rover Guru

Post by rich1988 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:26 pm

schuwolf wrote:I've got fairly good service memories of Landies, but always preferred the Champ.
Champs are rare beasts nowadays though!
1995 woodcote green vitesse fastback, a modified (only perfomance mods!) 1998 nissan 200sx s14a, 2000 1.7 astra van (HELL YEA)

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Wed May 25, 2011 4:16 pm

They are, sadly. The last time I saw was last year, 2 actually, at the Bromley Pageant of Motoring. My first driving lessons was in one. I could be tempted to go four wheel with a Champ
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

ooppss, soz, :oops:
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto