Mercedes s class

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
brookjm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mercedes s class

Post by brookjm » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I used to own this w126 mercedes 420se. Have a soft spot for older mercs. Black metallic with mushroom leather. Really nicely assembled, and though not quick by modern standards, A lovely cruiser. Took it to Germany last year, had a nice run cruising at high speeds on the Autobahn. On the way back it was -14 when we started her up, apart from a grumbling tappet, all was well. I sold it as the wife had misjudged the entrance to her parents whilst over there, and grazed the side of the car along a gatepost, and it was such a straight car it warranted a proper repair, but I couldnt really justify it. I what I miss most is the back of the car squatting down when accelerating :D I dont miss the fuel consumption

Resting at a dutch services after (another) refuel!

Was around -12 for most of the returnleg

A rest at calais after a high speed run. Car filthy!

Das boot

Dartmoor Twilight
Matthew

1954 Morris Oxford
1960 Rover 100 P4
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mercedes s class

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:15 pm

One of my favourite cars of the 80's. I also have a weakness for the model that replaced it - not a looker but such prescence.

Nice pics.
No longer an 800 owner!

RoastBeef
Regular Visitor

Re: Mercedes s class

Post by RoastBeef » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:30 am

Fantastic car, the best looking S-Class ever in my view. Pretty much a perfect car all round really, as long as you can accept the fuel consumption, but it isn't that bad, 22-23mpg around town and upto 28mpg on a long trip.

Here is mine at Castle Howard in York during the snow. Hardly anyone (Staff included), aside from a few 4x4's, had made it up the steep hill to the entrance beacuse of the weather, no problem for the Benz though. Truely, a superb quality machine, the like of which you just cannot buy new anymore, sadly.

140k miles on the clock and only just run in, one of my favorite cars.

Cannot see any point buying a newer model, they are no where near as well made and feel inferior to the mighty w126. I did own a w140, for a bit, they're OK, but ugly, too big and far more complicated electronically (which means things go wrong). As for the w220, it felt like a Mercedes 'copy', not the real thing. The latest version looks hidious imo, though they proclaim the 'quality is back', I doubt it somehow.
Pete