Ford 3.0 V6 and a Firbreglass Body =

Non-Rover chat and tech stuff

Moderators: guru, SJG

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ford 3.0 V6 and a Firbreglass Body =

Post by MG Mal » Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Not sure at the mo Chris.

Have at some point, a car to deliver to Bradford for Vard, and a collection in your area to come south.

Plan on bringing the Vard with me, and having a "long weekend" then.

There is so much none Bl-MGR parts in there I need to get rid of them, so that I can make space for sorting and disposing of the parts not connected to the cars I'm keeping.

I have so much "dead metal" I will be calling in the scrappy I use to dispose of a couple almost immediately.

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Yeah, different scale but I get you.

If you need me give me a shout and I'll see if I'm about.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Nice car Mal! Always fancied a Scimitar and/or a Stag but doubt i'll ever get near owning either now.

Didn't a few Scimitars have Marina door handles, either on the inside or outside of the doors? That's close enough to using BL bits you could justify fitting a Stag or Rover V8 in place of the Essex boat anchor!
Believe it's been done before, using the Rover V8 so should be a fair bit of information around about it. Bearing in mind the reduced weight of the BL V8s, it might give the front suspension an easier life and maybe make it less "tail happy" - just an idea though!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Nice car Mal! Always fancied a Scimitar and/or a Stag but doubt i'll ever get near owning either now.

Didn't a few Scimitars have Marina door handles, either on the inside or outside of the doors? That's close enough to using BL bits you could justify fitting a Stag or Rover V8 in place of the Essex boat anchor!
Believe it's been done before, using the Rover V8 so should be a fair bit of information around about it. Bearing in mind the reduced weight of the BL V8s, it might give the front suspension an easier life and maybe make it less "tail happy" - just an idea though!
Thought about that with my mates, Rover V8 on twin Su's or find an injected version.

THEN the old man suggested something brilliant - the 3l Jaguar V6 from the new s-type. Pick up an S-type for under £1500 with shot rear suspension bushes. Remove engine + drivetrain and coax to fit!

Before
138bhp (gross/net not sure)
4 speed plus overdrive
max 25mpg on a run

After
240 hp (179 kW; 243 PS) and 216 lb·ft (293 N·m)
5 speed getrag 'box (tiny thing and weighs nothing!)
Over 35mpg on a run

Oh and it would have all the benefits of fuel injection over carb + imobiliser. And I'd fit the central locking too!

Still a V6, still a nice soundtrack but would go like the clappers as the SE6 is only 1200kg
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 am

Alucard7002 wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:Nice car Mal! Always fancied a Scimitar and/or a Stag but doubt i'll ever get near owning either now.

Thought about that with my mates, Rover V8 on twin Su's or find an injected version.

THEN the old man suggested something brilliant - the 3l Jaguar V6 from the new s-type. Pick up an S-type for under £1500 with shot rear suspension bushes. Remove engine + drivetrain and coax to fit!

Before
138bhp (gross/net not sure)
4 speed plus overdrive
max 25mpg on a run

After
240 hp (179 kW; 243 PS) and 216 lb·ft (293 N·m)
5 speed getrag 'box (tiny thing and weighs nothing!)
Over 35mpg on a run

Oh and it would have all the benefits of fuel injection over carb + imobiliser. And I'd fit the central locking too!

Still a V6, still a nice soundtrack but would go like the clappers as the SE6 is only 1200kg
Like your old mans thinking! Man after my own heart obviously! The reason i suggested the Stag/Rover V8s is they were of a contemporary sort of age/era and would give a useful boost in power and torque with a great soundtrack. Keeping the V6 soundtrack but going slightly later although not bang up to date, what about the Nissan VG30E 3.0 V6? In it's lowest form, it's 155 bhp or 170bhp in slightly later form. Of course there is also the option of the VG30ET from the Nissan 300ZX Turbo which i think gives about 225bhp with the option of overdrive auto box with torque converter lock-up or a 5 speed manual. Plenty around for peanuts now the bottom seems to have fallen out of the market a bit. The Nissan 300C i had (auto) with the VG30E used to do a minimum of about 30mpg and 35mpg on a run so should be quite economical in the Scimitar shell.
Of course you could always stick more closely to the blue oval power plants and go for a 2.9 Scorpio unit, can't remember the output of those but it's probably the heaviest engine out of the lot, the others being all alloy. This would probably bring the weight back up to 1200kg and i would guess the other engine options with all-alloy engines would get it nearer 1100kg.
Going slightly later than the Nissan option but sticking (loosely) with the blue oval in as much as it's another member of PAG, how about the Volvo 960 3.0 V6? Last of the RWD Volvos and cheap enough to find a rough one to provide an engine/box/loom etc. Alternatively from a similar era, Vauxhall Omega V6 engines again give RWD fitting and a choice of capacity.

Sorry Mal, we seem to have hijacked your thread with engine transplant options for the Scimitar! Hopefully it's all useful though!
On a more enlightening note, a headlamp conversion to halogen headlamps could be just as useful too!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

jagmanpboro

Post by jagmanpboro » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:43 am

Do a good check of the flexy fuel pipes as the newer fuels we have to put up with can lead to failure and in the worst case bad fires, it is quite common on these cars.