Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:10 am

You got me going Mark so I ordered a set of speakers for my Mk1 Vitesse. The rears are perished and at first I made a board with two larger speakers in but it was too tedious work getting it in and out all the time, so looking at replacements for the originals now.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:25 am

Excellent. If I remember correctly, the Mk1 hatchback speakers were not only a component system as standard but also had a 'bass reflex' arrangement, probably a better set up than the Mk2 variant which just had another set of 5¼" (130mm) co-ax ones.

What are you going with, Henrik?
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:02 am

Fastback wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 pm
Thank you all.

I think it's fair to say the Hertz component set up is an improvement on the previous arrangement (no offence Sub Zero, different price point etc). What is interesting is the perceived improved stereo separation which I put down to the better tweeters as I am still using the original Philips R960 head/CD changer unit. And whilst Philips is not a 'trendy' name I think it is testament to the quality of the original components that they are still working perfectly after 22 years, especially given the harsh conditions they live in (compared to cosseted conditions inside a home).

Another point is the original audio wiring in the car. It is often said that OEM wires are thin with high resistance that can affect the quality of the sound. Indeed it is one of the reason that JBL speakers are often rated at 3 ohms instead of the more common 4. Of the wires I used, the OEM ones were the thickest. More so than the Hertz wires on the crossover and tweeter and more than the self proclaimed 'high performance hifi signal cable 99.9996' that was used to patch the woofers in with (I assume the 99.9996 refers to the oxygen free element of the copper).

Wire deteriates over time, but I'm not sure how big a difference that makes given the multi frequency environment in the cabin of a moving motor car.
Don't forget Mark, over periods of time the function of electronic components deteriorates as well. That's why a new radio will always sound better than an old one. However speaker choice will have a lot to do with it too and even the doors they're mounted in or wherever else.
Good comparios is i used the same Sub-Zero speakers in the front doors of my 760 as i did in the Sterling, they sound better and louder in the Sterling than the Volvo. Also i transferred the head unit from the Sterling to the Jag, amazing amount of difference! I don't think the Jag system is amplified (it might be though) but the sound quality is far superior in general.

The big thing is finding what works best for each car. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:26 pm

Fastback wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:25 am
Excellent. If I remember correctly, the Mk1 hatchback speakers were not only a component system as standard but also had a 'bass reflex' arrangement, probably a better set up than the Mk2 variant which just had another set of 5¼" (130mm) co-ax ones.

What are you going with, Henrik?
True, there is some kind of bass reflex system aswell. To be honest, it’s made in thin ABS plastic so Probably rubbish. Still, I went for a woofier speaker and I’ve read about someone fitting Pyle Gear 13cm woofers in a Mk1, so went for those. I’ll update my thread When it’s happening. 8)
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:47 am

Not posted for a while and now that I am, it's not great :cry: .

Spending some time at my mother's, helping her as she's recently damaged both her knees and is somewhat immobile at present. Also working on her Rover Sterling whilst I'm there. Good thing is, she has a large drive and is in a 'nice' neighbourhood. However, some youth (decency prevents me from more apt descriptions) decided to play 'wing mirror kung fu' whilst the Vitesse was parked on the drive...

Don't know the extent of the damage yet but clearly the flat is FUBAR. It's flipping annoying, we do what we can to preserve and maintain these vehicles and some, ... 'person' ... thinks it's fun to destroy it.
Fortunately, one of the neighbours saw the incident and recognised him. Police are on it and the, ... 'offender' ... is known and lives a few doors away. Talk about stupid!
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 am

What an absolute clown until next tuesday! :evil:

On the upside, i think i have a drivers door mirror with intact glass, it's not moved for a month of sundays so the motors might be a bit stiff and the backshell is gold (easily swapped if yours is intact) but the downside of that is it's for a Mk2a, is yours a Mk2b? By registration i'd say yes but it might be a late registered Mk2a, it's right on the changeover point.

Either way, i'll try and exhume the mirror from wherever it's buried, i know where the passenger one is (but that's missing the glass) and not sure if the other is with it or somewhere else.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 am

Thanks Dave but don't trouble yourself. I do have spares, you pick 'em up when you can, especially as kicking door mirrors is a regular event round here. You may recall I posted In October 2020 (?) when the Sterling and several other cars on the street were done.

Of course, having a spare is not the point, they are finite and it's another one gone for literally no reason at all. Obviously I don't throw anything away as various components might be salvageable.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:30 am

No worries Mark, maybe he'll find himself down a dark alley one night with a footballer wearing steel toe capped shoes that wants to rearrange his wedding tackle by treating it like he's treated door mirrors.

Hope you can get it sorted, the offer of the mirror is there anyway if you need it. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am

Sad to see that. A very strange attitude to do such things. Hopefully your neigbours testimony result in a slap in the face!
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:23 am

I see that in each countries, we have the same stupid guys !!!

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:29 pm

Well, I'm working on a Sterling saloon and trying to tackle the age old problem of water in the boot. I've had great sucess with the Fastbacks (detailed above,) so let's give the saloons a go. I hope some will find it useful or add their own findings.

Having stripped the boot of trim, several points of ingress have been indentified, most obvious are the two nut apertures on the rear panel securing the bumper crash bar.

Water can literally pour in here as it can on the fastback as well, although interestingly, a: I have large dome grommets over mine and, b: there is a bigger gap below the nuts on the fastback bodywork which aid draining. I don't think I have mentioned this point of ingress on my fastback findings above but it does need looking at.

The other point is a bit trickier;

Water is dripping through the blue ringed aperture, from a point above. Water is coming in the other side as well but slightly differently due to the lean of the car on the road. The red ringed area is not a leak point currently, despite the large rust scab but is a stopping point where water tracks along interior bodywork to that seam and drips down. I know Dave has commented on this seam before but is not quite the same issue here, yet.

Having poured water over the rear screen, it came in surprising quickly, suggesting large-ish gaps. My current thinking is the rear screen has debonded in areas. Whilst we all know tracing a leak is hard but I have to start a hypothosis somewhere. Now I could just pour liberal quantities of Captain Tolley's all round the rear screen trim but I would like to be more targeted, which leads me to a question please if any body can help;

What's the best way to take the trim off?

I believe I am aware of the mechanism of attachment, ie a slide/grip clip but don't know which way to slide or if I'm supposed to remove the corner pieces first. Obviously these trims are NLA and I don't want to bend them. If anybody can offer some insight, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Last edited by Fastback on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:24 pm

Ok, trim off. It is slide type clips; slide down on the right (UK driver's side) and up on the left. The top clips slide toward the right. The bottom piece just unscrews, obviously.

I lifted the trim slightly with plastic trim removal tools and then slid the clips with a metal hook/angle tool. I've cleaned the gutters out which of course were full of 23 years worth of crud and I shall now apply some Captain Tolley's.

I'm glad I got the really big bottle last time I bought some (250ml)! :lol:
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:52 pm

Productive afternoon, first bouts of Captain Tolley's (CT) applied. Backing off a little from the 'failed bonding' idea (although there might be some) and going more to seams/joins. Not owning or indeed really working on a saloon, I am not familiar with their construction toward the rear. On removing the trim I found this;

Circled is a join which is hidden and down which much CT disappeared, particulary at the rounded top part! This happened on both sides, clearly a point of ingress. So much so that some CT dripped through to the boot!

Another weakness is where the roof line joins the rear quarter panel. I'm sure saloon owners are aware of this and it is dealt with differently on the fastbacks. I don't know if this is particularly bad here but clearly needs more than CT; I put some in anyway.

Not obvious, unlike the large cracks, there is a lifted seam (fracture?), circled, as again, much CT gurgled down here.

I have made several applications of CT over the past few hours whilst the weather's good and will apply more when I can.

A good start I feel.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:48 pm

That's a common place for water ingress in the saloon boots Mark, mine has gone there on both sides - didn't realise the right hand side had gone and it dribbled down and into the inner and eventually outer sills. I bodged the left hand one a few years back with Duct tape and that prevented a wet boot for a long time.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Some jobs you start and wish you hadn't...

I decided that the roof seam to quarter panel had to be redone. The old filler/seam sealer has been dug out, rust cleaned up, cure rust applied and followed by a coat of primer. I have got Tetrosyl seam sealer but that really is only a brushable, thin coat type product.

Can anybody clue me what is the putty like material is that actually fills the gap? Thanks.
Mark