Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:53 pm

I think this is the stuff you're after Mark :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202513467439

The brushable stuff is good for places where you can't get to as it will run down and fill the gap, a bit like Captain Tolleys and possibly as a "top coat" for the squirty one in the tube. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:35 am

Thank you for post, but can you put some pictures less zoomed because, I can't reconize where the détails are in the car.

For me the probleme was the rear light and especialy the part white (for the reversing light) which were not waterproof. As I did'nt find a good part, I made 2 holes in the bottom of the part and the water goes outside and not in the booth.

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:21 pm

I will put some more pictures on but I should also mention that I'm working on a mk2, so I'm sure there will be differences.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:32 pm

Fastback wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:21 pm
I will put some more pictures on but I should also mention that I'm working on a mk2, so I'm sure there will be differences.
It's sometimes difficult to know which parts when the photo is zoomed in to see the problem, not just with bodywork but other things too. I was lucky because i knew the bits you were showing and although the Mk1 saloon is less curvy than the Mk2, i think it has the same seam in the boot gutter.
Maybe stephan can confirm that when he sees your extra pictures Mark?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Fastback wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:21 pm
Thank you in advance, and I will tell, if it is the same on an Mk1

Lodein

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 pm

Here's a couple of photos hopefully showing the wider area. This one's inside the boot, looking to the back of the car, you see the tail light in the upper middle, the hole of interest is circled;

And the rear screen, same on both sides, you can see the worked on grey patches top and bottom corners and where the roof meets the 'C' pillar;

To say it rained here last night would be an understatement, I'm sure I saw a queue of animals...

Still it proved useful as I was able to indentify where water was still coming in. The main area was undoubtably the bumper attachment hole. As mentioned previously, perhaps this should have a grommet in it and if yours doesn't and you can get a couple, grease 'em up and shove 'em in. This is the problem, circled;

Two massive holes, right underneath where water is channeled down by the lights, which are further indented just to make sure water tracks in.

with crash bar in place;

It's tempting to put a plate over, because you can remove the bumper by removing the whole assembly but then you wouldn't be able to fine tune the height of the bumper relative to the bodywork. If it were possible to place some kind of guttering above to channel the water away, that might work but I decided design, and make, a part;

It's a chamfered ring with a flange. I've attached it to the bodywork with 6mm x 2mm butyl strip;

Let's see if that works...
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:05 pm

If not, try :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-AYB000320

I think that is what replaces item #10 in :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004572

I may have one or two in my stash, i'll have a look for you.

Surprised that's where it's getting in though!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:05 pm
If not, try :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-AYB000320

I think that is what replaces item #10 in :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004572

I may have one or two in my stash, i'll have a look for you.

Surprised that's where it's getting in though!
By the bucket load, literally! I was in the boot, with a torch watching it pour through. Like I said, I have the grommets in my Sterling fastback but even they were leaking a bit. I applied some silicone on the rim and that seems to have stopped the ingress for now.

I would prefer grommets I think, given that they also seal the body and helps stop noise entering the boot as well. 50mm is right size, and they're not expensive new (I had looked but in the wrong place!) but it's the postage that kills it from Rimmers. If you can help Dave, that'd be great.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:37 pm

The good news is Mark i've looked in the 6 first most likely places, the bad news is, no luck!

The other 3 or 4 places are barely likely to have them, don't recall ever seeing any in those places.

However, thinking laterally (eastwards in fact) i found this and they appeaar to have item #10 in stock for 5.21 Euros each. Not sure on the P&P from Germany to here but probably on a par with Rimmers :

https://allbrit.de/xepc.cfm?PAGE=91748& ... &CAR=SARRS

It's meant to be in Englisch but more than half seems to be in Deutsch, you can see the bit you need though and from an email i swapped with them many moons ago, their English is certainly better than my German!

My view is with P&P it'll probably cost you ~£20-25 for a pair of those grommets, money well spent and you'd probably spend more trying to source an alternative that would work - speaking from experience there where i've tried saving a few quid on a job only to come to the conclusion that it would have been cheaper to get the right, more expensive thing in the first place as all the other cheaper remedies added up more costly in the end and didn't work!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Fastback wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 pm
Here's a couple of photos hopefully showing the wider area. This one's inside the boot, looking to the back of the car, you see the tail light in the upper middle, the hole of interest is circled;

And the rear screen, same on both sides, you can see the worked on grey patches top and bottom corners and where the roof meets the 'C' pillar;

To say it rained here last night would be an understatement, I'm sure I saw a queue of animals...

Still it proved useful as I was able to indentify where water was still coming in. The main area was undoubtably the bumper attachment hole. As mentioned previously, perhaps this should have a grommet in it and if yours doesn't and you can get a couple, grease 'em up and shove 'em in. This is the problem, circled;

Two massive holes, right underneath where water is channeled down by the lights, which are further indented just to make sure water tracks in.

with crash bar in place;

It's tempting to put a plate over, because you can remove the bumper by removing the whole assembly but then you wouldn't be able to fine tune the height of the bumper relative to the bodywork. If it were possible to place some kind of guttering above to channel the water away, that might work but I decided design, and make, a part;

It's a chamfered ring with a flange. I've attached it to the bodywork with 6mm x 2mm butyl strip;

Let's see if that works...
Thanks for this pictures, I will look this week-end on my car to said if it is the same on an Mk1

Lodein

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:05 pm

So it hammered it down last night and I'm very pleased to report that where I had put my ring insert, no water entered, non! Nor did it drip down from the rear screen seam seals, either side. Some water did come in from the other bumper hole but I haven't put the other ring in yet, so fine. There is just one tiny dribble coming from somewhere near the wheel arch on the UK N/S. Can't quite see behind that inner panel and fuses to determine where it's starting but I'm on it...

Whilst the bumper was off, I tackled a couple of other points. The boot vents can (not often) let water round the seal, so when the opportunity arises, as normally the bumper is in the way, I like to run a little silicone round the outside lip. You notice the other obvious problem common on the MK2.

And for those that missed it...

Screws were well rusted in and had to be drilled out. The brackets were replaced with an earlier design of my replacements which I had left over.

Note the M5 pan head machine bolts are stainless steel and where the thread had been damaged by drilling a nut was used. Both sides done.

One job leads to another and this is the bracket inside the bumper.

I'm surprised it was so corroded. Wired brushed, Kurust and then covered with galvanising paint. Bumper is back on now and I'm getting a deflating tyre seen to this afternoon.

It never stops...
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 pm

Good to hear you've solved at least one leak Mark! That slide bracket looks very rusty, might pay to hunt for some replacements, electrolytically derust them and then paint etc before fitting.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:22 pm

I think I've may have stopped seven leaks so far! :shock:

Yes, very rusty Dave. It's still structrally sound enough to do the job but I was thinking how do you swap them out? They have the three plastic rivots hoding them in place which would have to broken to remove, then how do you reattach? That's why I went for stabilisation at this point, kick this one down the road: not even my car. :lol:

Got the tyre done yesterday. It was a puncture, two inches of broken nail and fortunately repairable. However, before setting off, I noticed a little bit of water in the rear footwell (interior is stripped out remember) :roll: . Not a lot and I was fearing it had tracked from the front footwell. Looking closer, it had tracked down from the cabling on the sill. Moving forward, the furry lining at the base to the rear of the driver's door was wet. So I'm thinking door seals. They will never have been done, so time to set to...
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:03 pm

Two front door seals done.

Fully removed and washed, which was harder than it should've been. There was a peculiar hard moss/gunge type stuff that had to be softened up before being scrubbed off and like my cars had, there was dirt behind the seal, ie, between the seal and the metal work, so clearly not water nor anything tight. A good slathering of Carlube clear silicone and replaced.

Another job jobbed!
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:56 am

All good stuff Mark, can't remember if i've already posted this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223929467183

Near identical boot seal, you need 4m for the saloon and 5m for the Coupe (Fastback is different profile seal) and make the join at the lowest central point. If you're clever with the measuring/cutting, you can Superglue the two ends to replicate the original one-piece boot seal.

Surprising how much drier and quieter renewing the ancient boot seal is! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate