Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:00 am

mercedade wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:54 am
My understanding is that they all fit across all models, but some have resting posts and some don't - but regardless of 'correctness', they all fit.
If you mean the scuttle panels Adrian, the Coupe ones are slightly wider (longer?) and have a lip on each end for some reason. No idea why as the windscreen, bonnet and bulkheads appear identical, obviously the wings are different and this may have a bearing on the scuttle panels being different.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:59 am

Aha! Well, there you go - some new learning for me there.

Never had a coupe, but wouldn't ever have anticipated they were different
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:17 am

Given the rake of the screen is different on a coupe (even though it's the same screen), I would be suprised if it did fit even if the lips could be cut off.

And we're all learning all the time. I'm currently learning just how hard it is to stop water coming in! :lol:
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:16 pm

Sorry i missed yesterday to let you know about the scuttle Mark, unexpected happenings had me picking up a new washing machine for a friend! :shock:

Anyway, just looked and the scuttle is definitely a saloon one, in fact i can say for certai it's 1994 vintage as it came off my Sterling. I repaired it many moons ago as you can see but it's just started to bubble in the same place and it's gained a couple of kinks from storage - however if you're clever with a hammer and dolly, you could tap those out and making it smooth again :

Tried to show the two worst kinks there, first pic of the single kink is the left hand one viewing the second pic. From what you've said, it sounds better than the one you have?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:29 pm

No worries Dave. It is certainly a lot better than the existing one. When I said it was only the rubber holding it together, I meant it!

And this hole is meant to be one of the recesses but it has totally gone.

If it is available, then yes please. I really like your idea about screwing it to a plank for rigidity and if you are willing and able to send it then that is fantastic. PM me the postage costs etc and we'll sort something out.

Cheers. :D
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:05 pm

Crikey, yours is a rusty paper d'oyley! :o

I've got a few things on over the next few days but i'll try and fit round those to find a piece of wood to mount it on and i think i have some bubblewrrap on a roll so i'll do what i can and take things from there.

The other method of transport would be if you happened to know someone traveling up to your area from somewhere near Suffolk that would be willing to rendez-vous and then take it on to you.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:47 am

Well not for the first time, I'm wrong, again!

In chasing the front footwell leak, I assumed that the water was dripping from a higher point, possibly the windsrceen. It isn't. It is actually coming through the body at that point, this circled point...

We are looking up by the bonnet release on the RHD (is that swapped over on LHD vehicles?). You can see the white fluid (Captain Tolley's) which has penetrated a seam and then dribbled down. I found this out after I had done all the front screen, trough, seams and seals that had been issues previously on my car but water still came in :evil: .

So I poured masses of water straight into the wiper mechanism chamber and sure enough it streamed through that point highlighted above (previous to CT treatment). CT was applied to the visible seam,

This goes back, round and down to, goodness knows where but applying lashings of CT has stopped the ingress, for now at least. After heavy downpours last night the footwells are dry, as is most of the boot. I think there is still a little ingress round the left tail light, a thimble full, so I may need to renew the foam seal and will probably do both.

But all in all, good results and with the rain we've had, the spare wheel well would've been half full previously.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:07 am

Wow, good leak finding Mark!

A useful trick on the rear lamp gaskets is to remove them, soak them in hot, soapy water (washing up liquid soap) and give them a hand-wash then thoroughly rinse and dry then refit them on the opposite lens, i.e. put the RH one back to front on the LH lens. A smear of silicone grease on both sides and cleaning the lamp housing and body work throughly while the gaskets are drying also helps.

By turning the gaskets round, you are using mostly "virgin" foam that hasn't previously been crushed by the join between lamp housing and body, there are a few "cross-over" points but these are relatively small so the squashing of the foam around them seals them up anyway. If all else fails, cheap mouse mats are a good source of the closed cell foam or you can buy sheets of it on fleabay to make new gaskets - if memory serves new gaskets are NLA from Rimmers these days.

Haven't forgotten about finding some wood to mount the scuttle on, just been busier than expected over the past few days and i was expecting to be pretty busy in the first place!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:18 pm

Thanks Dave. I'm sure you'll get round to it when you can.

I have aleady washed, siliconed and reversed the foam (a suggestion from you on an earlier post) and whilst greatly improved, is not total. I may just leave them for a few more 'rains' as I suspect that if there is too much silicone it washes out before it an optimum amount is left to seal. I may be talking hogwash but I believe I have seen something similar on some rubber grommets. Time will tell and if I need to make some more, I already have a cardboard template from my cars, 6mm closed cell foam is not expensive (nor are mousemats) and it doesn't take long.

And much to some people's bewonderment and disdain, I always clean parts that are hidden before reassembly; you're there, why wouldn't you?
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:01 pm

Fastback wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:18 pm
And much to some people's bewonderment and disdain, I always clean parts that are hidden before reassembly; you're there, why wouldn't you?
A very good point - recently i had to take the Jag headlamps out to renew the adjusters (common S-Type problem, the plastic pieces shatter inside the light unit leaving you with a reflector that floats about like a dinghy on the Atlantic in a Force 9 gale!) and i cleaned and polished the bit of bumper that sits under the headlamps plus all the bits of trim/air deflectors etc before refitting them. My neighbour asked me why i was cleaning the bits that wouldn't be seen so i explained to him that besides making life more pleasant for me in the future if i had to remove it again, it helped prevent dirt build up all round the area and so on. There are many other reasons as i'm sure you know but like you say, you're already in those bits, would be silly not to clean them!

Another good example is things usually work better and recently i had to renew the primer bulb on my lawnmower. Allegedly it would only need 3 pumps to get it to start first time but on the previous bulb, i always needed at least 6 pumps. I was extra meticulous this time when i cleaned it and would you believe, not only does it feel firmer when it fills with fuel to prime it but now only needs 3 pumps to give 1st time starting.
I can only summise my previous "quick clean" left behind a tiny piece of grit/sand/dirt that prevented the edge of the bulb sealing fully on the tank...............

In other news, i've just thought of something that may work to mount the scuttle on, it's in the shed though and it's pitch dark already outside so i won't be looking until tomorrow!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:54 am

Bad news everyone!

My Sterling has FAILED it's MOT for the SECOND time! Very annoyed.

Took the car a few weeks back and it failed on a loose track rod end. I bought a new one and when I came to fit it, all it was the thread on the ball joint had stripped slightly so the nut wouldn't tighten. Rethreaded it, new nut, job done. Also replaced the oil filter whilst in the area as it was leaking. Didn't do a full oil change as not practical just then.

Went for test yesterday and it failed again. This time for corroded rear NS brake pipe and a hole in the OS sill, which is a huge suprise as I had that replaced a few years back. Also an advisory on a lower ball joint for 'play' on the same wheel as the track rod end. The big question is, why the heck (polite version) were these not pointed out five weeks ago? The car has been parked up, not used, so it is not possible that these 'new' faults have materilsed from nowhere. Just a waste of everybody's time and my money. I'm not going to be able to get the welding done in ten days for a retest, so that another £35 or so spent for no reason! Very, very annoyed.

On a slightly better note, the Sterling saloon I'm working on (did I say it's my mother's?) is due for reassembly as it has been dry for several downpours. Just a slight dribble this morning after very heavy rain last night which I think is still down the tail light seal but nothing in the footwells. Huge improvement.

Off to find a body work person I can trust... :(
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:23 am

That's a bummer on the MoT Mark, however the things you quote as failing could possibly have got just about bad enough in the 5 weeks it's been parked up, especially if it ws parked on or near grass. I do agree they should have been noticed but i have experienced testers in the past whose integrity i would question - they should perform a full inspection, even if they find something that it will fail on but many don't and consequently fail a car multiple times seemingly for the hell of it.

The lower ball joint could just be an arse-covering exercise by the tester or it might be genuine, worth double checking and keeping an eye on or even renewing the alleged worn one - be sure to add a bit of extra grease to it as i've known many come through with little or no grease at all! :shock: :o :shock:

Glad to hear you now have a dry Sterling saloon, i haven't forgotten about the scuttle panel but the bits of wood i thought i had to mount it on for sending have disappeared and i've not found them yet!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:12 pm

I actually think that once they found the loose track rod, instant fail, they stopped inspecting. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work. Shame, because I've had a reasonable experience with the tester over many years. It's all they do, no spanner wafting, no incentive to fail.

They highlighted the same lower ball joint boot last year, which I replaced. I do have a couple of new OEM MG Rover ball joints in stock but as we all know, getting them out can be a pain.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:03 pm

Fastback wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:12 pm
I actually think that once they found the loose track rod, instant fail, they stopped inspecting. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work. Shame, because I've had a reasonable experience with the tester over many years. It's all they do, no spanner wafting, no incentive to fail.

They highlighted the same lower ball joint boot last year, which I replaced. I do have a couple of new OEM MG Rover ball joints in stock but as we all know, getting them out can be a pain.
That's precisely what i was suggesting, many moons ago i bought a yellow Metro (don't laugh, it was low mileage and immaculate inside) to try and make a few quid on but it was a mobile colander underneath. After the first test and rectifying many failures, i took it back for retest. The guy put it on the ramp, opened the drivers door, reached in a squeezed the inner sill and promptly failed it - no further inspection that day.

Took it home (after paying yet another fee) and welded the inner sills (both sides, wasn't getting caught the same way again! Or so i thought..........) and checked everything else i could reasonably see using a jack and axle stands. Next test (and another £35 or however much it was then) and he failed t yet again on some other bit of welding that i couldn't have seen unless i'd stripped the interior out.

As it happened, i'd already sold it and the prospective new owner came to me and asked what it had cost me so far, added £50 to that as he knew i'd done other things and said he would get the rest done and MoT'd. I was glad to see the back of it and i don't think he ever did get an MoT on it but not my problem by then.

Whole point of this little anecdote is an unscrupulous MoT tester cost me a small fortune in fees that should have been a single fee and a much longer list. I could have scrapped it then and broken even if he'd done his job properly.

After having thought about your predicament, i would change that ball joint (i know they can be a pain) after adding some extra grease to one of the stock ones, weld a repair into the sill and then take it to a different test station after asking aroundf locally for the fairest test station recommendations.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am

Two bits of good news:

FIrst my Sterling passed its MOT last week :D . Having been given the 'surprise list', I looked at the rear brake line myself, rubbing it back with wire wool. I don't believe there is anything wrong it, no pitting, no signs of weakness. Just to be on the safe side a coating of 'Kurust' and a coat of clear lacquer applied so the station could see it wasn't just covered in thick paint to disguise anything. On a slight downer, whilst I was in the wheel arch, I noticed the fuel filler pipe is going to need attention soon. :roll: :( . Got the welding done at a local garage and the 'advisory' lower ball joint replaced at the same time. Whipped round to the station for a retest the same afternoon.

And to end on a high, after deciding/needing to replace the rear light gaskets on my mother's Sterling saloon, I can now declare the car 'DRY'. It's taken a while but well worth it; now to get the interior back in...
Mark