Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupes

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:15 pm

Is the tank solenoid actually being selected by the LPG ECU Scott? If not, there could be other reasons why it's not selecting. Easiest way is to get a 12V warning lamp from an auto accessory shop and wire it in paralel with the tank solenoid, mount it in the cabin and then see if it gets powered up at any point. If not, the LPG isn't switching for whatever reason. Should be a fault finding part in the LPG software on your laptop.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:29 pm

Sorry for late reply, but have had a city break in Prague.
TGM: It started working again, but the rough running is getting worse. It has now stopped again! Does not seem related to the misfire apart from stopping the LPG coming in.

I notice that the revcounter needle shudders when it it is misfiring. Have parked it up in disgrace and brought the MGF out ready for better weather so my son can use TB2. I'll have another look when I have more patience.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:56 pm

Sounds horribly like the DIS pack playing up, i believe they give similar symptoms and we've been down a rabbit hole looking for an LPG problem.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:24 am

DIS pack?
I'm listening...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 am

Fairly sure you know what the DIS pack is and its basic function so won't go over that but often when coil packs break down on later cars, they cause multiple misfires and loss of tacho signal. Also on the Volvo i have, one of the common faults across the range is the igntion amp module, the Volvo version of the igniter on the 827 which are also known to fail with similar symptoms, initially misfiring, loss of tacho signal during misfires and so on.

With the DIS pack having 4 separate coil packs and either one or 4 separate ignitors built in (i would guess one and then switch to the right coil pack electronically but never been able to disassemble one to knwo for sure) the problems are compounded. I'm fairly sure the DIS pack is common across the T series range after 96 so you may be able to borrow one of one of your other cars to see if that is the cause. Also worth checking the CKP, usually bolted in to the back side of the flywheel housing on the front side of the block as that can also cause similar problems, again i think this is a common item across the T series but not 100% certain.
Bearing in mind the LPG needs a constant signal from the tacho to know the engine speed and so does the MEMS ECU (although the MEMS can work round several lost inputs and go into Limp Mode) it's certainly worth a look.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:55 pm

I'll try one from the Coupe. I had tried a coil pack from the box of spares, but that might have been faulty too.
Scott.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:01 pm

Could also be the HT leads and/or a duff plug but my money would be on the DIS pack and/or the wiring to it.
Leet us know how it goes!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am

OK. Spent some time on TGM yesterday. It has new plugs. I swapped the coil pack and leads from the Coupe which runs OK. No difference. I had a resoldered fuse box in stock (ex Dave - ta.) so decided to swap that as the windows sometimes play up. Again, no difference.
The TPS is new.
Could it be an ECU issue?
It always runs OK for around 10 seconds after starting, then goes rich and starts misbehaving.
Any suggestions where to look next??

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:46 pm

OK, you've eliminated the first obvious thought i had, shame it didn't work but at least we now know that's not the problem. Second possible cause is a break in the wiring to the CTS, fine after relaxing while cold then the vibration causes a break. Next possible is a faulty MAP sensor in the ECU or a break/disconnected vacuum hose to the MAP in the ECU. Could be a faulty CTS too but i think you renewed that?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:55 pm

I've given up and called a local mobile mechanic who is supposed to be pretty good at diagnoses. Waiting for an appointment.

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:36 am

Mobile mechanic visited and was stumped. He is going to come back once he has had a think.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:07 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:36 am
Mobile mechanic visited and was stumped. He is going to come back once he has had a think.
Maybe he should change careers and become a tree surgeon instead? Or a cricketer?

Joking aside, does it do it on petrol only or petrol and gas? I know you had some problems with the gas and i've lost track of exactly the nature of the fault.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:26 am

Does it on both, so I have switched it to petrol only to avoid confusion.

Starts OK for about 8 seconds, then runs roughly and rich. On the road, it jerks or kangaroos then recovers on full throttle then runs rough again on part throttle and idles roughly. Would have put money on the TPS but a new one was fitted and made no difference. Coil pack, plugs, leads, fuse box, all changed too.

He was surprised it would run even when two plug leads pulled!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 am

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:26 am
Does it on both, so I have switched it to petrol only to avoid confusion.

Starts OK for about 8 seconds, then runs roughly and rich. On the road, it jerks or kangaroos then recovers on full throttle then runs rough again on part throttle and idles roughly. Would have put money on the TPS but a new one was fitted and made no difference. Coil pack, plugs, leads, fuse box, all changed too.

He was surprised it would run even when two plug leads pulled!
Here's a hunch - locate the CTS and then start from cold, switch off before that magic 8 second point. Unplug the CTS and restart. See what it does then. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:29 am

CTS? And location please.
Ta.