My Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Re: My Coupe

Post by TheVDM » Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 pm

This might not be the best option but it might be worth trying to remove the plastic cover on the interior door lock and trying a pair of pliers on the metal rod just in case it's catching on something.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rovercoup » Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm

have you heard any noises or had any undue problems with the window going up & down? if so Jim's thoughts may be on the right line
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

simon
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by simon » Thu May 30, 2013 8:11 pm

pauleilio wrote:No, it's like it in superlock, when I unlock it with the keyfob the button only goes up a little and then will lock it self again, same with the key. I have manged to lift the button whilst unlocking with the keyfob and the car remains unlocked but neither outside or inside handle will unlock the car. Like your photo of the rover in snow.
Sounds like the solenoid in the door is getting stuck and not operating fully. Can you get in to the car?

You have just reminded me I have got to get a drivers door handle as my one is busted :roll:
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Good news! and bad.

The good news is, the door is open. The bad news is I don't know why or how. Fingers crossed, it was just a glitch and won't happen again.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu May 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Mine does this occasionally on the passenger side - normally when you need it to open, like when it is pouring with rain or something!

Above all its a Rover
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:36 am

Hi all,

Major help needed please.

My alarm/central locking problems continue. The coupe has got iteself in alarm state and cannot sync the keyfob. She isn't immobilised and I don't undestand why it wouldn't be. I reluctantly paid the £20 for my eka code and get the wrong code horn beep at the end of the sequence and I tried adding a 1 to the second and fourth digit, no joy.

horn beeps on opening/closing both front doors.

boot release, petrol release disabled.

Door latch microswitches metered and all operaing correctly.

central locking motors in both doors working when power applied to the connector in the ccu.

I have cut the wires to the superlock motor's for the time being (don't want to be locked out).

Anybody had these symptom's, I have been informed that the eka code could have been changed at anytime and no record would have been kept.

Many thanks

paul

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Could a faulty bonnet alarm switch be messing up your system? Try disconnecting that as well.
No longer an 800 owner!

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Checked that as well Brad but thanks anyway. I have been in touch with IRC the people who supplied the eka code and they offered to program my keyfob to my 5AS module for free. As glad as I am the the rover 800 doesn't have the troublesome 5AS it would have been a nice free fix. As it stands I can still get the car running and take it for MOT so I might disconnect the horn from the CCU and continue to lock unlock it with the key and keep my fingers crossed that the immobiliser does't kick in.

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 am

I see that you measured the door switches, still I would look at those. They are really not good. Rather remove them and connect the wires fooling them to believe the door is shut, at least for a try.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi all,

Thought I should update you all with the Coupe. I finally managed to get into the Rover but I ended up with the car in an alarmed state, horn beeps when you open the doors and full alarm when the bonnet is opened. That could be silenced by the key in the door lock and held to lock. My key fob is out of sync with the car and won't come back and the security code I paid for for the car was wrong. On a plus point, the Rover is not immolised. After many months of head scratching and looking for a low cost option, I came up with this.

I bought a Teensy ++2.0 microcontroller, a relay board and a bluetooth module. If the Coupe didn't open any doors, she was happy. If the bonnet wasn't opened she was happy and if she wasn't locked, she couldn't be superlocked either. After checking all the microswitches in the door latches and proving them good. I disconnected them from the CCU. I disconnected the central locking motor plug from the CCU all is good. without these connected the Coupe is happy. Starts and runs no problem. The boot release and fuel flap were also not working as the feed was disabled by the CCU. Window operation is all OK. Obviously courtesy lights will not work as the door latch switches are disconnected.

I initially started to write the software for the Teensy microcontroller to work with an aftermarket key fob kit which I hadn't received at the time. The Teensy cost's about £20 which is very reasonable for a small low power microcontroller. I had a bluetooth module for an earlier project which didn't work and at this stage considered making an app for my phone to talk to the Teensy microcontroller.

To cut a very long story short, it has been very successful. the unit is at the moment on the floor in the drivers footwell with wires everywhere and so far has the central locking controlled by the app and have also managed to get lazy-locking working by keeping my finger touching the button on the screen, just as you would with the keyfob. I have a boot release button, fuel flap release, Horn and headlamp and a status button which shows the status of the microswitches in the doors i.e which door is open and which one is locked. The Teensy also takes care of the courtesy lights, locking from inside the car and from the key and also from the keyfob that I will fit at a later date. The keyfob kit I bought for £8 from amazon is quite rubbish so I might look for something else.

In all, the cost apart from my time, was about £20 for the teensy, £5 for the bluetooth module if I had to buy it, and £5 for the 8 relay board. 5v Power will eventually come from a point on the originall CCU if there is one, or a switching dc to dc converter will have to be fitted.

I will make a video when I have rewired the boot and fuel release.

When testing the car, I tried a slamlock on the drivers door only to realise that my phone was onthe passenger seat and the key was in the ignition (that was the bit I was testing), so I installed the app on my daughters phone and kept on ringing my phone to drain the battery so I could pair the bluetooth and unlock the car. I have since made the app unlock the car if it receives a text message containg the PIN for the Teensy. Next thing to do is to create an alarm using the ultrasonic sensor.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:45 am

You now have a business opportunity: there are potentially dozens of buyers for this kit :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 am

Just one word.......... Wow

And another couple........ I'll take one..... :-)
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Wow.

Just wow.

Eliminated the CCU problem for so many people with problems.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:37 am

That's absolutely mind-blowing for an electronics/programming dunce like me.

Hugely impressive.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:33 am

Richard Moss wrote:You now have a business opportunity: there are potentially dozens of buyers for this kit :)
Told you :) If you put together a kit along with fitting instructions and sell it at a suitable markup you can make a few "beer chits"
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT