My Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My Coupe

Post by SJG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:27 pm

It was for Windows that I was (tentatively) enquiring about.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm incredible impressed by this - even if I hope to never have to use it, I'd love to see this up and running.

I've downloaded and sent a small donation (apologies it's so small). I know it won't take you far, but I just think this kind of work is so impressive. Please keep us posted on progress.

Good luck
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Thank you very much Adrian, and any donation I receive is massive so thank you again. Windows mobile version coming soon.

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Just another update.

Rover passed it's MOT today, happy days.

Found my first software bug. I went to put some fuel in the Rover, so, because I can, I opened the fuel flap with my phone. I went in to the petrol station to pay which was a bit away from the car and pressed the Headlight button by mistake, some of the signal got through but didn't finish (the likelyhood of that happening is extremely slim). I noticed because it wasn't confirmed back to the phone, the phone stopped responding because it's expecting some response. I turned off the app and then restarted it, but the car still has part of a command that it can't interpret. I did put a routine to stop this, but disabled it when I was testing something else. I have re-enabled the routine to stop this from happening again.

MOT guy was not impressed that he couldn't operate all the lights with my phone, just the headlights. Should I have an MOT button?

I will spend the next week using the phone and keyfob as much as I can to prove there are no bugs.

Question: Fuel flap and boot button in the centre console, at the moment, have no usage restriction. Obviously if the car is locked they should be disabled and is easily added. The only driving input I have is ignition on. Would it be right to disable them when the ignition is on but unrestricted by keyfob and phone?

Let me know your thoughts.

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:19 pm

pauleilio wrote:Just another update.

Rover passed it's MOT today, happy days.

Found my first software bug. I went to put some fuel in the Rover, so, because I can, I opened the fuel flap with my phone. I went in to the petrol station to pay which was a bit away from the car and pressed the Headlight button by mistake, some of the signal got through but didn't finish (the likelyhood of that happening is extremely slim). I noticed because it wasn't confirmed back to the phone, the phone stopped responding because it's expecting some response. I turned off the app and then restarted it, but the car still has part of a command that it can't interpret. I did put a routine to stop this, but disabled it when I was testing something else. I have re-enabled the routine to stop this from happening again.

MOT guy was not impressed that he couldn't operate all the lights with my phone, just the headlights. Should I have an MOT button?

I will spend the next week using the phone and keyfob as much as I can to prove there are no bugs.

Question: Fuel flap and boot button in the centre console, at the moment, have no usage restriction. Obviously if the car is locked they should be disabled and is easily added. The only driving input I have is ignition on. Would it be right to disable them when the ignition is on but unrestricted by keyfob and phone?

Let me know your thoughts.
I'm guessing its best to prevent them functioning whilst the car is moving - although getting a speed reading may be difficult?

If you stopped to get into the boot you would have to turn the ignition off to get in, or use the key?
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Sorry i didn't mention that the new keyfob has a button for boot and fuel as does the app.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:34 pm

I had a look on google play store at your app today. It looks excellent. I'm really looking forward to developments with the hardware.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks Tom, It is blowing a gale here tonight and couldn't remember if I locked the car. Opened the app on the phone and pressed status and yes it was locked. Went for fuel earlier, walked to the fuel flap and opened the fuel flap with my fob. I am finding it quite handy at the moment and no bug's today. As i am now monitoring what the rover central locking relay is doing, and after reading the rover handbook, I have enabled it so that when it is not being controlled via the app or keyfob, the central locking will follow the Rover relay so ensures original keyfob works and also in the event of a collision that the doors would unlock. All that is left of the software is adding new keyfobs which in my opinion should be done inside the car using the key and the centre console boot and fuel button, ie long press on fuel enters programming mode and use the boot button to select which keyfob to reprogram etc. Could also select the function of the fourth button, boot, headlamps or horn.

I have to mention it because I don't think it's impossible, especially on Auto's, Remote Start, I welcome your opinion's.

Keep you all posted.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:05 am

Hi Paul,

this looks incredibly interesting! What CCUs will this system work with? I've had a brief read of the thread so may have missed the answer but could be a very handy update.
Also, the fuel flap and boot release should not work when the doors are locked or above 5mph (think it's 5mph, may be when the car is moving at all, perhaps picked up from the speedo sensor or wheel sensor for ABS) as standard and i know they don't on mine.

I'll have to look on Play Store to see more about what the app does before i ask anything else i think!

EDIT - Remote Start would be very handy, especially on autos! Like the idea of a remote horn button too - a lot of fun could be had with that! :twisted: :lol:
It seems you have primarily designed this on a post '96 car with EKA codes and RF fobs - do you know if it can be used with the older ('92-6) IR fobs that don't have EKA codes and different CCUs?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Thanks Dave,

Does anyone have any info on the pre 96 CCU, wiring, photo's or even a spare CCU for the project. Are all pre 96 infra-red as in the mk1's.
Unfortuantely all my rovers have been post 96 apart from the mk1 I had many years ago. It say's in the handbook that the remote needs to be on the same keyring as the key to start the car. I can start mine without, is this the same for every post 96 800.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Just caught up with this - Downloaded your app Paul looks fantastic.

(As it happens i'm in the beginnings of a project to use a Raspberry Pi with a 9" touch screen mounted in the glovebox to interrogate my LPG ECU to retrieve live engine data and display it - mainly for future proofing as I have a half baked plan for turbocharging with liquid phase LPG injection. Naturally that would need a fair bit of tuning to get working right!)

Reading through this thread a couple of things spring to mind.

0: Functionality for those of us lucky to have multiple 800s
1: MOT button for lights - That would actually be brilliant as I tow often and checking the lights is a nightmare on your own. I once had a clever 7 way "relay" installed that if you power cycled it it would go through a test sequence for you, very handy!
2: Intercepting the signals for all 4 doors for saloons and fastbacks not just the coupe - that way you can be ultra lazy and shut the door that's not latched without having to figure out which it is first.
3: Integration with bluetooth "kit" for the radio. As one is already bluetoothing the phone to the car it seems to me to make sense to integrate the same bluetooth device for both handsfree and audio playback.

The aftermarket fobs are a cracking idea as I'm guessing the range is much improved too. Would it be possible you think to get the car to flash the indicators when it locks/unlocks? Or at least an option to enable it to do so.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your comments and wow that sounds like a fantastic project. good luck with it and I will follow your progress, and I like the 'future proof' bit, it keeps our car's going longer.

Thanks for your ideas,

0. Multiple 800's, I definately agree with that, I have a Vauxhall Frontera as well and have half made an app for that. It's nice to have control of the 2 with one remote. I have managed to connect to the both at the same time, but with one app visible and the other in the background. I am going to try the Rover app with multiple BT clients. Will have to find a nice way to switch between 800's

1. MOT button. I tow a caravan and that never occurred to me. brilliant idea.

2. Four doors definately on the todo list.

3. Intergrating with BT audio would be beyond the Micro controller I think.

Flashing indicators can be made an option because of the MOT button which is a must.

I am adding options for the 3rd and 4th keyfob button so you can pick what you want them to do. By default, when you add a keyfob, they control fuel flap and boot, 4 keyfobs can be added without using the app. Just ignition key and fuel/boot button in the centre console to add/remove keyfob. The range on the keyfob is much better than the Rover one.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:49 am

pauleilio wrote:Thanks Dave,

Does anyone have any info on the pre 96 CCU, wiring, photo's or even a spare CCU for the project. Are all pre 96 infra-red as in the mk1's.
Unfortunately all my rovers have been post 96 apart from the mk1 I had many years ago. It say's in the handbook that the remote needs to be on the same keyring as the key to start the car. I can start mine without, is this the same for every post 96 800.

I do have a spare CCU from a 93 MY Sterling so it doesn't have programmed wash/wipe and the sound has gone for some reason, hence changing it for one that worked fully. I've not tried it but would assume the later Mk2a CCUs would also work and probably the Mk2b (96 on) CCUs would all work in the same car. I'll see if i can find the relevant diagrams for the CCU and upload them from the Electrical WSM. Most Mk1s were in fact RF and i believe only the run-out models had IR the same as the early Mk2 but i'm not 100% sure on that - it would depend i suppose on whether the very last Mk1s had CCUs or not.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

pauleilio

Post by pauleilio » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks Dave,

Any info would be great. If pinout's are the same then I can't see any reason why not. It shouldn't really matter if it is IR or RF. range on the kefobs is fantastic. I programmed the 2nd fob spare buttons to horn and lights worked from inside tesco eariler. Car was on the otherside of the trolley bay. Bluetooth range is not so good but trying to make it better.

Cheers.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:41 pm

If you'd like to PM me about this Paul i'm sure we can organise me getting my old/spare CCU to you for testing/development purposes. Not had a chance to delve into the WSM as yet but from memory they are the same as i believe later CCUs are "backwards compatible" going on what is said on Rimmers page about CCUs - basically all the old ones are NLA and they point to "Use XYZnnnnn instead" where XYZnnnnn is the later CCU fitted to all the later cars.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate