Hyden's Rover Sterling

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hyden's Rover Sterling

Post by Lord Sterling » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Not a lot going on here seemingly. So I'd like to tell you the story of one of my spotted Rover 800s I have come across......

The story is about a car I came across some years ago, I subsequently got to know the owner, an elderly fella called Hyden. He owns this N-reg Rover 827 Sterling:

Years ago, when I still had the E-reg Rover 825 Sterling, I was actually taking a picture of another Rover Sterling when Hyden came passed in his car, I was shocked as it is identical to my Mk2 827 Sterling.

The original car I spotted:

My 827 Sterling:

With my KV6:

What I was driving at the time of spotting Hydens car:

ANYWAY. Just after I took the photo of the Green fastback, I saw Hyden passing in the car, so I jumped in my car and followed discreetly, I lost the car but took a guess at where he went and eventually found him unloading shopping from it with his wife, I pulled up and spoke to him briefly about the car, I'd commented that I owned an identical one, but I could see he was busy so left it as it was but grabbed a pic before I drove off, which is the first picture in this post.

It had been quite a while since I last saw the car, I did pass once or twice by the house where I saw it, grabbed a couple of pics and left. But recently I found myself in a better paid job with agreeable hours, so one day I decided to see if I could speak to the owner again. I knocked the door and spoke to his wife and had a small natter about the car. Although Hyden keeps saying she wants a new car, I got the impression that she knows he loves the car and will not part with it. I passed my telephone number and a few days later he contacted me.

After a few phone calls back and forth and a couple of meet ups I saw what the car needed and what Hyden wanted to do with it. One of things that bugged me was the 2 different rear light lenses, one Orange and one later tinted. He explained that his car had been hit from behind which caused minor damage. When the rear light was replaced, the garage just picked a rear later light and fitted that on. Most garages aren't bothered with details. If your car is as solid pre-damaged, they'll stick anything on they can get their hands on.

ANYHOW. Hyden asked me if I could get a hold of some right-hand door handles and a couple of 16' Prestige alloys. The rear one had completely broken off and the front drivers one was seriously fragile. I managed to get a hold of a rear door handle, Orange light but the Prestige alloys will have to wait until I clear out my 'Coldfield garage.

As I'm out of work again and there seem to be NOWT on the horizon regarding ongoing full-time positions, I've been twiddling my thumbs and applying for jobs. I spoke to Hyden at the weekend and we agreed to get the parts to him today, which I did.

First task was to get the Orange light on, easy:

Looking fresher.

The door handles proved to be a pig of a job. Door cars off, I found that the bolt on the rear of the rear door handle was impossible to access without taking the rear door glass out as it stated in the Haynes Book of Lies.

Rear door card back on, I gave Hyden the rear door handle which he will take to a garage and get them to fit it. Next I tried to tackle the front door handle thinking I had better access, I did, but the door handle itself had broken/cracked pieces of plastic and there wasn't much I could do. Besides, its not my car and Hyden does rely on it to get him and his wife to and from, he isn't as agile as he used to be so messing up the only handle that gives him access to his car wouldn't help. The door handle on it is pretty fragile and just about opens the door. I told him I'd try and get a hold of a drivers door handle for his car.

Whilst trying the door handles, Hyden told me about when he bought it. The car was purchased from a Halesowen Rover dealership. He took in a Volvo and part-ex'd it for the Sterling, the Sterling was up at the time for £8k. Of course (deano) this was some years back when these cars still commanded good prices.

Oh, I took no money off him as I like to see these cars give good service and make their owners happy as mine have (sort of) done. He wasn't having any of it but I managed to get away without being paid. The car itself is looking slightly more tatty than when I first saw it, I hope I can help him get it looking fresher and nicer.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hyden's Rover Sterling

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 pm

The handles can be fiddly and I don't blame you leaving well alone on a car that isn't yours to muck up.

It's a very nice thing you've done for this old boy, too. Pat yourself on the back.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:47 am

Very Tall Brad wrote:It's a very nice thing you've done for this old boy, too. Pat yourself on the back.
Indeed.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:05 am

Definitely a nice turn - I've had a few of those where people have stopped by asking for help (usually having seen me the previous weekend thrashing around under my own car - hopefully not listening to the bad language) and I try where I can, but there have been a few jobs where I've thought "if for any reason I can't complete this, they're going to wish they'd never asked!".
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Three cheers for Mo, Well done sir in helping out someone without gratuity you are part of a rare collective long may you continue.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:13 am

Thanks guys. Its just nice to know that I can help someone with a car they love just as I've been helped with mine. I am hoping to lay my hands on a drivers door handle and a couple of 16" Prestige alloys.