Continental 827 Vitesse

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
threelitre
Regular Visitor

Continental 827 Vitesse

Post by threelitre » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 am

Hi everyone!

Some may still remember this one:

Well, it is still around and now back in my hands as my brother decided it was too small to carry around all the stuff needed as a rally organiser (so replaced it with two Volve V70 estates this summer).

The decor has changed over the years and it looks a little more battered...

But this all seems more or less cosmetically. It runs nice. Rust is not an issue - there may be some under the rear spats and there is one single patch on the LH rear arch - but that's it. Floor, subframe, tank and fuel filler all looked nearly perfect to me on a first inspection. In fact the only rust on the floor is where the car grounded once or twice and some paintwork was scraped away.

It needs a new CV joint boot and I have not yet looked into suspension joints. Apart from that the list is short:
- wiper linkage (sourced one already)
- dashboard wood panel (found one too)
- light switch (found 2 sets of stalks - hopefully one working)
- centre caps for very early Rover Sports alloys (Mal has some put away for me)
- passenger (well, RH) front door window motor
- passenger (RH) front and possibly LH front door handle
- one headlamp wash jet (found a pair with hoses)
- header tank with sender unit (waiting for me at a friend in the UK)

Are the front door handles and window motors the same as on the Mk2?

If I get the large packet of free time from Santa, that is on the top of my wish list, this car should hit the road rather sooner than later...

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

Jango
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Continental 827 Vitesse

Post by Jango » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:57 am

That looks like a car with a story to tell 8)

Mk2 door handles are different, they will fit and open the doors but the lock barrel keying is 180deg out :roll:
'91 827 SLi Fastback - back on the road at last.
'89 Sterling - work in progress.....
'99 Sterling - on loan

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Hello Alexander,

Take care of this rare continent eater. I hope to see it and you in person some time :D

Marc
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi Marc,

at least I've seen your Vitesse a couple of times ;-)

There is one solid reason to keep this car on top of all other cars: The towbar is legal for 1900kg - enough to pull most normal cars (like Innocentis to shows)....

Regards,

Alexander

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 pm

That is an impressive weight! And i just remembered that i have seen it of course in Rosmalen.
Age has its effect ;)

Have safe journeys in the Vitesse :)

Regards,

Marc.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Hello Alexander,

This is an manual car right? I tried to find it on aronline but i cannot get the site :?

If it is than your Vitesse is very very rare :D
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 am

Here's a bit about it:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/ar-cars ... ive-twice/

If you put in 827 Vitesse in the search on the right top, it will come up quite quickly, navigation is not the best on AROnline currently.

The car is manual ( :-D ) - with a nice, roarty exhaust note quite different from our later 827 Mk2 auto - I have no idea why it sounds so different. There are two or three nice looking Vitesses for sale here in Germany, one is exactly as mine (same wheels, automatic A/C and manual) in Solingen for 650 Euros - if you want one.

Regards,

Alexander

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri May 02, 2014 8:10 am

threelitre wrote: one is exactly as mine (same wheels, automatic A/C and manual) in Solingen for 650 Euros - if you want one.

Regards,

Alexander
That sounds like good value. I wonder................how easy would it be to run the only 827 in the UAE?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Fri May 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Hello Alexander.

Thank you for your reaction! Maybe your exhaust is not fitted well maybe? My 827 Vitesse has an auto box and is sounds quite deep and cool if i burble through small streets.I did drove a manual green 827 Vitesse ( http://spb.fotolog.com/photo/27/22/117/ ... 2925_f.jpg ) ones and it did sound a bit louder but you drive an automatic different as i am sure you know. After this test drive i found my/the grey one the internet and the green one was no where near as beautiful as the grey one i have and love now :D .

This one you mean :wink: :
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/ro ... res=EXPORT

This is a looker as well:
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/ro ... res=EXPORT

Kind regards,

Marc.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 am

Oh yes, the second one looks very good. Ex Rover management apparently - a late 6-dial car without A/C and manual gearbox - what's not to like?

The exhaust on the Vitesse is fixed correctly, it sounds great. I just wonder if the empty rear half of the interior has something to do with this.

Regards,

Alexander

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Alexander
Very impressive looking car. I had a Series 1 820 a few years ago with the full body kit and a very interesting engine and gearbox that turned out to have been assembled for one of the Rover managers. Went like stink and was a dream to drive, even on England's crowded roads. I part -exchanged it for a Series 2, 827, which my Company thought was more in keeping with my position. I think that was the only car I really made a profit on, as I was offered 500 pounds more for it in part exchange than I paid, in the first place.
Although I now drive a Series 2 825, I still have a very soft spot for the Series 1 cars.
I have a new front right door handle for a series 1, finished in silver, if you get stuck finding a replacement for yours.
Good luck

Adrian