My soon to be latest purchase........

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rovering
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My soon to be latest purchase........

Post by rovering » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:43 am

A 1995 New Zealand new Sterling.
I will be the 3rd owner, buying yet another car off my friend. This will be the third car I have bought off him.
It has travelled, from memory, just on 130,000 kms (70,000 odd miles?).
Is yet another gold coloured car too. Though this one is a much lighter and more metallic shade than my shantung gold 1988 Sterling.
Now, this may not appeal to some as to what we have done.................but my mate bought a 1994 827 SLi as a parts car. This car had had the later 1996/1998 contrasting piped leather seats and door trims with the leather inserts and 'Rover' writing embossed on the wood trim.
What we did was swap all the door trims and seats over, as both of us found the later seats so much more comfortable, and they did not have a cigarette smokers smell to them, which the Sterling's original seats did.
I personally think that this has improved the Sterling immensely.
The airco is superb, and everything works, no dash lift either. We also swapped the wood around the centre console and gear lever over too.
I am really looking forward to getting this car. I just have to wait for my friend to finalize things at his end.
I only have one photo of the car, which I took today. It does no justice to the car. Especially as the front bumper has the usually corner scrapes.
Am loading up the photo as soon as I crank up my laptop and get it into photobucket!
Graeme
2003 Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 ltr Connoisseur
2001 Rover 75 Club SE 2.5 ltr
1995 Rover Sterling 2.7 (SOLD)
1990 Rover Vitesse 2.7 (SOLD)
1988 Rover Sterling 2.5 (SOLD)
1986 Rover SD1 Vanden Plas

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: My soon to be latest purchase........

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 am

Looking forward to seeing it.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rovering
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rovering » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:13 am

here is photo from today, and I also remebered that a photo had been loaded of it on the car info site we have here in NZ. Second photo is not as clear unfortunately, but gives you an idea of it.
Graeme

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am

Very nice, hadn't realised you guys were also RHD.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:42 pm

There are more countries that drive on the correct side of the road than we realise. Its just a shame a lot of European countries felt bullied into changing during the 20th century.

During the Falkands War the Argies tried to get the locals to drive on the right, they ignored it as an act of defiance.

Lovely 800 Rovering, do you watch 'Alan Partridge' over there?
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Looks good Graeme, look forward to hearing more about it
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

rovering
Regular Visitor

Post by rovering » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 pm

BennyVitesse wrote:There are more countries that drive on the correct side of the road than we realise. Its just a shame a lot of European countries felt bullied into changing during the 20th century.

During the Falkands War the Argies tried to get the locals to drive on the right, they ignored it as an act of defiance.

Lovely 800 Rovering, do you watch 'Alan Partridge' over there?
I have seen a few programmes of Alan Partridge on TV here, but not for a few years now!
Graeme

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Nice looking car Greame. please keep us updated
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

rovering
Regular Visitor

Post by rovering » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 pm

rovercoup wrote:Nice looking car Greame. please keep us updated
Oh that I most certainly shall be. The biggest let down to the whole car is the front bumper.......I have a replacement for that already in case the hole in the rf corner is not repairable.

The car is so much better than I have described. It really is. One owner till a year ago when my mate won it at an auction for the princely sum of $970.00 NZD.....equates to about 488 GBP, according to a currency converter I just used!!

Known issues so far......the electric fuel flap release has died. My friend also got sick of opening the boot to pull the emergency release cord.....so he took it out. You should have heard me squawk when he told me . I will be replacing/getting that sorted.
Temperature gauge sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. Will be fine, then for no reason climbs up to the higher end of the scale, fans kick in and then back to normal.
I think there is an issue with one of the fans not working, plus the top of the radiator has lost about an inch or so of the cooling fins. I have a replacement radiator and fans that are good.

Trouble is I now need to sell either my 1988 2.5 ltr Sterling, and/or the Vitesse.
Too many cars, plus something has to go. Ever since I have had the gearbox replaced in the Sterling I have been worried about how much longer it has left. If this gearbox ends up stuffed.......I doubt I will find another here. I struck it lucky with the one I got this time. Then I have a car that is not drive able.
The Vitesse, whilst not in as a good a condition as the Sterling, is a better option in the long term I think.

So my days of Mk 1 ownership may come to an end, unless I just mothball the Sterling and only use it every now and then.
I am also caught in that I only have garaging for two cars at home, so the rest have to sit outside, on my turnaround by the garage, something I do not like.
My 2 SD1 cars have the garage!
Decisions, decisions!

rovering
Regular Visitor

Post by rovering » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:28 am

Had a call from my friend tonight, we have agreed on a price, and I am looking at collecting the car on the 9th February whilst I am on holiday.
Can't wait!
Graeme

Trev boy
Regular Visitor

door bumper trims

Post by Trev boy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Does anyone have in there parts collection some spare door bumper trims for the mark 1 fastback