Dan's 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe Auto

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dan's 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe Auto

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:44 pm

That's much better.
No longer an 800 owner!

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by DLR » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Confession time!

My interest in this car is rapidly disappearing. It's not a bad car but I really need to focus on other things going on in my life at the moment and having one non-functioning car is ridiculous, a second slightly broken one even more so. I can't afford to fix either of them and the more I use the coupe I'm becoming increasingly worried that I will do further damage to it.

I am extremely grateful for the generosity with parts and support from forum members for this car but I am thinking of selling it as-is rather than scrapping/breaking it. Given the parts donated it would be selfish to break or scrap it anyway.

Tax until the end of June and MOT until November 19th. Only issues are the gearbox leak (as previously discussed), chip in the windscreen (behind the rear view mirror, doesn't obstruct the driver's view) and a small rubbing noise on the nearside rear (although this isn't a regular occurrence, I've no idea what it is). Other than that it's spot on. Still able to drive the car!

What's it worth? I'd like to think that it's worth £550 (what I paid). Or swap for a smaller car?

I'll write up a proper advert for it tomorrow (lacking the enthusiasm tonight).

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:37 am

That's very disheartening Dan, can understand your frustration.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:25 pm

I'd at least have a look at the auto leak first. No one will buy this car for any sum unless that's fixed or it's selling for scrap/spares money.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:I'd at least have a look at the auto leak first. No one will buy this car for any sum unless that's fixed or it's selling for scrap/spares money.
That's for sure
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:05 am

I've written and rewritten this post so many times I've lost sight of who I'm trying to convince - me, or the rest of the world.

Opinions have been noted and I am grateful for them. My stance has not changed and I will not be continuing the search for this leak, rendering it a definite spares/repair car, or 'scrap value only'. This is not because I want to see this car off the road for good, but because my circumstances are very quickly becoming unmanageable and it is just not practical for me to get this car looked at.

As I said I'd like to think it's worth £550, but I am ready to admit I'm being far too optimistic! Surely £350 is reasonable? Failing that, I have three other options to consider:

1) Sell for scrap money to someone looking for a 'fixer-upper' as it's worth nothing more (con: lose money, plus could be sold on to a breaker who scraps it anyway)
2) Break the car, using parts from the coupe to fix the 820 and dad's Sterling, then scrap the car myself (financially the best solution as it minimises the expenditure for the other two cars, but morally wrong as it's a crime to scrap an otherwise reasonable car)
3) Forgo the agony of trying to sell this car and stick it in a garage somewhere and sort it when I'm well again (cons: finances of storing the car long-term, I'd have to rent a council garage again as I don't have the facilities at home).

Toss-up between 2 and 3 at the moment as I fear trying to sell this car as-is will be a world of pain I could do without!