Dan's 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe Auto

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dan's 1998 Rover 820 Sterling Coupe Auto

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:35 am

It's a European motorway pass. Or, should I say, "autoroute" pass. I think it is sometimes known as a vignette but that may only be in French speaking countries such as...France.

And Switzerland.
And Belgium.
And probably Holland, too, as the folks there speak every language known in Europe. :lol:
No longer an 800 owner!

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by DLR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:02 pm

I see...learn something new every day! Someone liked taking it abroad in a former life then.

On the subject of windscreens, found out this evening that I've a chip right in the centre behind the rear view mirror. So hidden from the driver that it took my passenger to point it out. Better dig out the insurance documents and see how much it'll cost to get Gavin to fix it.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:28 pm

DLR wrote:Better dig out the insurance documents and see how much it'll cost to get Gavin to fix it.
Probably free with comprehensive cover. If it's not covered then the £5 ebay kits work quite well and a pro job will probably be less than £40
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

'CHARD
Regular Visitor

Post by 'CHARD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 pm

DLR wrote:
On the subject of windscreens, found out this evening that I've a chip right in the centre behind the rear view mirror. So hidden from the driver that it took my passenger to point it out. .
Are you sure it's a chip? It may be a pomme frite!

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I have problems.

Gearbox been playing up on my drive back from the north today. Changes were erratic and when cruising at a steady 70mph it would randomly drop two gears and bounce off the rev limiter. Thought it could have been because of my driving (inadvertently operating the kickdown).

Drove back into my street and clouted the nearside front wheel with such force I've effectively curbed the entire rim and ripped an entire chunk out of the tyre wall. Bugger!

Go to change the wheel for the spare and found the underside of the nearside coated in oily greasy fluid. Doesn't look like engine oil, could be gearbox fluid as it's coming from the general area of the gearbox. The brake lines looked ok to me. So I'm leaking and this is quite possibly the cause of my random gear changing? Then to top it off the nuts have rounded the thread off one of the hub nut thingys. Car now undrivable as I can't secure the wheel. Fup and bollix!

I've had enough of this car. Never did get on with it and I am thinking about using it for spares to get the blue Si back on the road (the majority or parts should be the same, i.e. Brake and suspension bits), unless someone wants to make an offer? Needs a chipped windscreen repairing/replacing, possibly a wheel bearing on the nearside rear (begun to make a grinding noise when on the move), rust in the sill isn't any worse but starting go get into one of the rear arches. Plus the gearbox leak and the aforementioned nut problem. 

FrazzleTC
Regular Visitor

Post by FrazzleTC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems!
With my P6, I had problems with erratic gearchanges when the level dropped just below what it should be. It's been kept topped-up since, and hasn't been a problem. Just be sure not to run it too far while it's losing loads of fluid. Hopefully no harm done there!
I think it's common with all cars to go through periods of falling out with them, but just now and again, it'll all work properly, and it'll all have been worthwhile! :D
Fraser

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:13 pm

I'll have a better look tomorrow and see how serious it is. Probably not as bad as I think it is, but I'm reluctant to spend more money I don't have on a car that was only a stop-gap. I'd rather sort the Si out now.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Sorry to hear this, check the gearbox fluid level, I understand the 2.0 litre auto box is a week point on these cars.

It would be a shame to break it.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:50 pm

Oh dear Dan.

I can donate a free wheel and newish tyre for you if it helps.

As regards the stripped thread, do you mean on a wheel stud? It'll be safe to drive slowly with three nuts til you can find someone to replace it. Studs are available new from Rimmers. If you want to do it yourself, you'll need a 32mm hub nut socket. Again, I can lend you one if you want to avoid buying one ( they're about £15)

As regards the leak from the transmission, is the dip stick in place? Look for the obvious first!

Also, as has been said, don't drive whilst fluid is low. That would be tranny suicide ( no jokes now, ladies).

Give me a ring tomorrow Dan.

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:29 pm

C'mon Dan - I've not heard from you. Still in bed?
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:24 pm

The transmission has a cooler - there could be a leak from one of the hoses/pipes there.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 pm

"I'll be honest I was not initially planning on keeping this car long term as I was going to use this until I can get my Si back on the road whenever that may be, but now I am not so sure. I have a feeling that this will be in my possession for a long while. Suits my intended career image better than the saloon!"

Dont give up Dan these things are sent to try us at the best of times. There is lots of help available and i'm sure that it will be a relatively simple fix once identified.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Overnight it has dumped a copious amount of fluid on the drive. Can't see where it is coming from but from what I can see all pipework looks intact, given the engine work in the past I'd be inclined to say a seal has gone.

For the record I do check the levels regularly and always check before a long journey. levels were fine before my drive up north but this morning the dipstick is dry (no surprises as the fluid is all over the drive). Was nothing untoward on Friday, but given before my ownership it wasn't doing much in the way of mileage and I've been using it rather intensely since January (about 600 miles this weekend alone) maybe it just wasn't used to being used as a daily? Or it is the law of sod in action because I was going to offer it up for sale.

It's had a good run, having done well over 200,000 miles. It wont be scrapped as-is, but I'm going to have to work out if it's easier to use the parts from this car on my Si (gearbox aside they are the same mechanically), sell it as it stands or perhaps even sell both cars and replace them with one usable car.

A lot going on as someone collided with my parent's Sterling this morning and drove off, potentially uninsured. Mum is alright and so far it just looks like cosmetic damage, but will keep you posted on that as it happens.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:34 pm

I had a good chat with Dan earlier.

Dan - the issue with the leaking tranny is possibly just bad luck. As RM says, check the pipework first. Using the car won't have done it any harm - it will have done it some good, I think. And thank the lard that it got you back and didn't expire on the M5.

Do get it looked at by a garage that can get it up in the air. And my offer of a wheel and tyre (for your car) and any bits your mom's car needs still stands. Wish her well from me.
No longer an 800 owner!

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:05 pm

We have progress! Or at least last night I made a slight boo-boo.

Turns out the thread on the stud (yes that's what I was thinking of) is actually ok and it was the cheap aftermarket nuts that were mangling. Luckily there was a spare in the boot, so all is well. That'll teach me to fiddle in the darkness with bug eyes! I'll invest in some spares at some point.

OMG INSTANT RATLOOK LOL M8 (I think that's what they say):

Note how over the course of the day the birds have decided to defecate all over the bodywork, offering a nice little metaphor for how I feel about the situation. Also see the pool beneath the car.

I will get the car up on axle stands and have a look properly over the next couple of days. I will be totally honest here and say I can't afford to send it to a garage right now, but I take your comments on board that it could be a pipe so I'm not going to write it off just yet. Unless someone fancies exploiting my desperate situation and making me an offer I cannot refuse?!