New guy here

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

'CHARD
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New guy here

Post by 'CHARD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:46 pm

I was going by the time-stamp, but that is probably rogue - as it claims to be 23:02, and it would be dark - unless the car's at the Arctic circle!

I reckon these are recent pictures and the car's going to be fine and everything you hope for!

jasonmayall
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jasonmayall » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 pm

That makes a bit more sense to me lol.
To be honest, As long as its not an absolute shed - I'll take it (for the right price of course).
I will be annoyed if the car has been miss-described, but I'd rather take the train home than buy something that will cause me many issues.

I hadn't noticed the time stamp, But i've just had a look. It also says that the picture was taken at 11pm... So I can only assume the time on the camera was wrong :)

Regarding the black moulding - Can someone post a picture up of what i'm looking at please? I'm not sure what parts meant to be black. It will give me an idea of what to check when I go take a look... Nothing worse than parts painted poorly when they weren't meant to be painted in the first place.

Also - the filler neck. Is there a certain part of this that starts to rot first? I dont think it will be a deal breaker if it is damaged, I should be able to get one made up - Or even from another model.

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:16 pm

This car is similar to the one your buying Jason with the original black parts.

As regards to the fuel filler pipe, take a torch with you and look up above the rear wheel arch to view the neck. There will be corrosion if it hasn't been treated but the problem area are mainly at the top where it bolts into the wing and where the breather pipe connects as dirts tends to gather there and with the aid of moisture rots through.

This in a cause of many 800 going to the scrap yard but spares do appear and I know that Dave (dollysprint) does have one for sale if you get stuck, you will need to message him for a price but rest assured it will be a very good part.

Good luck with your collection hope all goes well.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

jasonmayall

Post by jasonmayall » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm

[QUOTE=JasonM;69897]So here are a couple of pics... I havent yet had the time to give it a good clean.

Its got a stainless cat back, but the backbox will need to be changed!

Image[/QUOTE]

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Looks nice and tidy Jason and the body colour coded parts don't look out of place although some might disagree. How did the drive home go? hope you are pleased with it. The description must have been close as it now sit's proudly on your drive. welcome to the 800 club
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

jasonmayall

Post by jasonmayall » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:56 pm

rovercoup wrote:Looks nice and tidy Jason and the body colour coded parts don't look out of place although some might disagree. How did the drive home go? hope you are pleased with it. The description must have been close as it now sit's proudly on your drive. welcome to the 800 club
Thanks Bud.
They work for me i think, however they haven't been painted very well so I'll see about re-doing them in time, along with the chrome strips as they've faded a bit.
The drive home went fairly well, mostly motorway driving and the steering seemed a little vague/twitchy... Also the radio didn't work, but would play CDs.

I've not fully inspected the vagueness yet but I think I'll put it down to a pair of ditch finders on the front, both at unequal pressures - I've pumped them both up and it seems better but not perfect.
The radio was resolved today and after taking the head unit out to inspect the wiring, it turned out to just be the arial stuck! Easy fix though.

Having driven it for a couple of days now, it's given me a good idea on how I want it to be.

Plans at the moment include:

New set of matching tyres all round, possibly second hand with some wheels as they're a bit tatty.
Replace the discs on the front as they're drilled & grooved - look silly to me as it's not a sports car.
Replace the cone filter with the standard air box.
Replace the exhaust back box with something a little more subtle.
Suspension bush overhaul - feels a little loose but this may be the ball joints.
Reprint all the bits the previous owners have painted along with a proper detail.
There's a leak in the boot, somewhere but I've heard this is common.

Overall I'm very happy with the car, it's in good condition with only a few minor niggles which I expected.
The engine pulls very well and is almost silent... Much quieter than the VVC I had in my BRM.
Handles very well for a big barge on miss matched tyres, so it can only get better.
It's possibly the most comfortable car I've ever been in! Had my dad and grandad sitting in the back today and they both commented on how much space and how comfortable it was.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Glad you are pleased with it, they are cracking cars!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:39 pm

I've often wondered why they didn't make the rear quarterlights operate too. Now that would give an immense feeling of space.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:18 pm

I totally Agree with that Gordon, but I guess Rover knew that there wouldn't be many rear seat passengers so didn't bother because when you look at any rear seats in a coupe they look untouched.
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Jason I don't know where you are based but if you are close to the midlands IE: Birmingham you can't go far wrong with these guys. I had a set of wheels refurbished for my son's VW Golf for Christmas and we were both happy with the finish. All four wheels 18" done for £80 in a metalic grey.

They have all colours including different silver flake so can get a close match if not perfect to original. I have another four sets to get to them this year when I can find the time.

Link below.

http://www.citypowdercoating.co.uk/

Lower ball joints are a must do there are threads on here explaining how, what and why but is well worth doing for peace of mind. In respect of the chrome strip in the bumpers and mouldings these can be purchased from Rimmer brothers http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-DQR10059MMM The profile of the chrome strip is the same for mouldings and bumpers. The rear bumper strip is longer than the front though. If you intend on replacing any of the strip use a hair dryer to get the strip nice and warm before trying to remove, this makes it more pliable and easier to remove backing tape residue.

Pleased that your happy with the car. Enjoy it.
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 pm

All good advice. Watch the interchangeability of bumper chrome and side rubbing strip chrome inserts - they do look similar but differ in width.
No longer an 800 owner!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote: Watch the interchangeability of bumper chrome and side rubbing strip chrome inserts - they do look similar but differ in width.
Brad, Is that across the width down the length or just where the strip ends go in? I recall when i used to fit these if we ran out of moulding strip we would nick a bumper one to do the job. Production line. :?
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:24 am

The width is different with the bumper moulding being a couple of mm narrower
No longer an 800 owner!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 pm

I wonder if the strip you have identified was an after market part? I am not calling into question your judgement nor being able to read a ruler, it's just that I don't recall the difference.

It could well be the onset of grey hair and too much sitting down though
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm

When I changed the chrome strips on my coupe, the side pieces where slightly wider than the bumpers.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997