New guy here

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New guy here

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 pm

The bumper strips and the side strips look the same but the bumper strips are, as SH says, a touch narrower. The side strips are also stiffer.
No longer an 800 owner!

jasonmayall
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jasonmayall » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 am

If it's any consolation, I don't plan on replacing them.
I've got the paint to do on the BRM, including the side strips so ill paint these at the same time... Although they will probably go sparkle silver as apposed to chrome. We'll see how it works :)

jasonmayall

Post by jasonmayall » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Just a small update.

Having had the car for a few days now, I've picked up a couple more 'niggly' problems I plan to tackle.
Might be best if I get a decent progress thread up... I hope I dont get the bug with this car but I think it wont be long!

The temp gauge on the instrument cluster has ceased working, Also the car seems to be running as if its cold permanently - With the idle around 1100-1150 RPM.
I've got a spare sensor from an old engine so I'll swap that over, and change the thermostat - See how that goes. I hope to find some time after work to do this tonight.

The gearbox isnt as slick as it should be. occasionally crunches into reverse and I have had the car pop out of 5th after a longish drive. This sounds to me like the gearbox fluid is getting a little hot, So i'll try and change that on the weekend.

I also think I may have a slow puncture in a tyre or 2... So i'll be on the lookout for a decent set - preferably with some good condition wheels.

One other thing I have noticed, but is not necessarily an issue, is the car sounds as if its got a 'dump valve' or something similar. I know the car has an open cone filter and a free flowing cat back exhaust, but when I change gear it does make the sound of a dump valve. I've been in other turbo cars and you can always hear this slightly, but its actually quite loud! I dont know if this is normal for these engines, or not? I'm 100% sure its using the standard wastegate and turbo on standard boost levels.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm

The gearbox problem (jumping out of fifth) may actually be bearing wear - but a fluid change won't hurt. As for crunching into reverse, well (too coin a phrase) "they (nearly) all do that), sir".

Some pictures of the turbo and it's surrounds would help us to identify if a dump valve is fitted.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

jasonmayall

Post by jasonmayall » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Thank you sir, I thought as much with the bearings. I was contemplating doing the clutch as it seems to slip a touch on full boost, I think the cars been looked after, but it's also had a hard and well used life... So bearing failure may be imminent.

I'm positive there's no dump valve as it's a Standard intake besides the filter, I'm just not sure if that's a noise of the filter or what.

I'll see if I can get someone to record a video for me.
My suspicions are a slight boost leak, however I can't feel it, or the standard waste gate may be on it's last legs. I do have a spare turbo lying around, so I may swap it over one of the days.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 pm

The tyres going down is a common problem, as the wheels corrode they leak air. In the mean time you can get them re-sealed.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:09 pm

As I lift off after accelerating hard, I get an ever-so-slight 'chirp' noise - it's certainly not an atmospheric dump valve noise, I've just put it down to the standard re-circ valve doing it's thing.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 pm

may be worth checking the modulator tubes for any leaks or broken pipes as these tend to age harden and can easily break or split. The Modulator is located behind the air box as you look into the engine bay but be careful on examination as a a broken plastic pipe on the modulator will cost you £60 to replace from Rimmers.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:38 am

I have used fuel line tubing on my vitesse
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 am

Or you could ignore it entirely and replace it with a £20 manual boost controller (although using a boost gauge is essential to set it). It'll give you better control over the boost as well, meaning you can have all 12 psi on hand (don't go higher) from lower down, rather than having to wait until well into the revs.
Adrian

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 pm

IMHO I dont know why you would want to mess with the boost of the turbo if these cars are maintained properly and driven correctly then they perform very well. If you want to go racing or line the pockets of the chancellor then carry on and boost away
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 am

rovercoup wrote:IMHO I dont know why you would want to mess with the boost of the turbo if these cars are maintained properly and driven correctly then they perform very well. If you want to go racing or line the pockets of the chancellor then carry on and boost away
Agreed - they perform very well indeed. To be honest, it was more a case of an alternative to replacing an overly expensive part with a cheaper option which gives a little more flexibility, if required. I haven't noticed any increase in fuel bills either - it just means I don't have to hang on til nearly 5000 rpm to get the full benefit of the turbo :)
Adrian

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:56 pm

As said above, in my experience the likely cause of boost issues is split pipework on the boost controller.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 pm

The chirp noise could indicate a split recirc valve diaphragm. These are difficult to source, but if not working could damage the turbo or throttle body. The standard valve should be quiet and barely noticable.

Try motobuild racing, who do a replacement diaphragm, or scour ebay for a kit.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

jasonmayall

Post by jasonmayall » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Guys

Thought i'd update you with how i'm getting on with the car and all the issues i've come across so far!

Seems to be doing really well if i'm honest, Cant complain for a £700 car.

Theres a couple of water leaks, One behind the passenger seat which I assume to be the sunroof drains? Another in the boot (Its quite wet!) which I think is either the boot seal or the rear lights. I'll get the silicone out on the weekend anyway.

The heater, I THINK is working but I dont think to its full potential. It doesnt seem to get burny hot to be honest - Cant say i've tried the cold settings!

The front wanders around quite a bit as I think i've mentioned. So this weekend i've planned to replace the following : Lower ball joints, Upper ball joints, Track rod ends and drop links. I'm hoping that tightens things up a bit.

Fuel economy isn't fantastic, I know i've come from a much smaller car but a full tank averages around 300 mile, I'm fairly conscious about the loud pedal too. The temperature guage rarely moves from cold, unless its been in the turbo for a few seconds at which point it will creep upto around 1/4 and slowly go back down over the next couple of miles... i think its missing a thermostat, or its stuck open, Or a sensor is kaput; Leaving the car running in cold (richer) mode.

Anyway, Still happy with the car. I've got a few little bits to do but nothing too daunting. As i'm a young'un i've also bought myself an amplifier for the stereo so I can get the 4 speakers (aftermarket) working to their full potential :)